MoFos on Roller Coasters!

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Exposing yourself to spiders is the only way to get over the fear though. I was terrified of them as a child but got over it by handling them as an adult.

Handle a funnel web then get back to me, MV.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Have you spoken to a shrink about this, hon? Serious question. Desensitising yourself on your own might not be a great idea. Much better to do it with a professional if it's so bad you pass out.

No, but I never go to high places alone. I'm always with someone who knows about my fear of heights so they can make sure that I'm okay. And I don't push myself beyond my limits. If I feel like I'm going to get sick or pass out, I take myself out of the high place as quickly as possible.

Exposing yourself to spiders is the only way to get over the fear though. I was terrified of them as a child but got over it by handling them as an adult.

I used to have nightmares about them when I was little. I used to have nightmares about rats too, but I don't recall ever actually being afraid of rats.

Yeah, I know that, but I haven't been able to do anything to get over my fear of spiders. It's just so bad that anything I do to try to get over it just makes it worse.

I wasn't always afraid of spiders. I remember looking at spiders on outside walls of buildings when I was a kid. My fear of spiders comes from an incident at camp when I was younger. I doubt I'll ever get over it.

Spiders can't hurt you, though. Especially a picture (or thousands of pictures of spiders!) of a spider. Spider.

It doesn't matter whether or not they can hurt me. I'm still terrified of them.

Wasn't this thread supposed to be about roller coasters? How did we get on spiders?

Post spiders if you want, i don't really care. I'm terrified of spiders but not pictures/videos of them, just saying it would be a big a-hole move to do that to gbg who is bothered by them even in pictures/videos.

Handle a funnel web then get back to me, MV.
Obviously some spiders are actually dangerous and can kill you, but saying that because some are dangerous all are scary is kind of ridiculous.

It's like saying that because a tiger can kill you, all cats are scary.

I used to have nightmares about them when I was little. I used to have nightmares about rats too, but I don't recall ever actually being afraid of rats.
gbg was the opposite. She didn't care about them until a traumatic experience with them; it's not really comparable to you being naturally scared of something as a child then not as an adult. She has a traumatic reason to be scared of them, much more than the reason i'm scared of them anyway.

Obviously some spiders are actually dangerous and can kill you, but saying that because some are dangerous all are scary is kind of ridiculous.

You blowing off her arachnophobia like it's something she can just get over, and it's not the first time you've done it, is really insensitive. You're not a professor of psychiatry. Stop being a biatch.

gbg was the opposite. She didn't care about them until a traumatic experience with them; it's not really comparable to you being naturally scared of something as a child then not as an adult. She has a traumatic reason to be scared of them, much more than the reason i'm scared of them anyway.
That doesn't change the fact that she'll never get over the fear if she doesn't ever expose herself to them.

Your issue may not even be with spiders. Spiders could just be an excuse you made up. A psychological excuse. The fear of spiders could actually represent something else. A different, more hidden fear. That's why once upon a time, spiders didn't scare you.

No, it's definitely a fear of spiders. When I was younger, I watched three large spiders attacking someone, and it was at the only exit to the room, so there was no way to get out of the room until someone else came in to help them.

You blowing off her arachnophobia like it's something she can just get over, and it's not the first time you've done it, is really insensitive. You're not a professor of psychiatry. Stop being a biatch.
Dunno about it not being the first time and she should definitely continue being a bitch, but yeah gbg has a valid fear i'm completely with her here.

gbg!

That doesn't change the fact that she'll never get over the fear if she doesn't ever expose herself to them.

Trust me, I'll never get over that fear. Just reading this thread about them is making me sick.

Why does she need to? Unless she wants to work in a spiders web like me when she grows up her fear is completely harmless and i imagine rarely comes up.

Trust me, I'll never get over that fear. Just reading this thread about them is making me sick.
OK back to coasters.

A cyber buddy of mine from over yonder on the other board is obsessed. He is the coaster king of all time. I think he's been to every big one in the world. Such a lovely guy.

I'm a bitch because I refuse to walk on eggshells over someone's anxiety? Okay. I never claimed to be a professor of anything, but it's a simple fact that avoidance won't improve her problem.

And your constant mentions of funnel webs proves what? That you live in Australia. Neither I nor GBG are ever likely to encounter one as we both live in the U.S. They're irrelevant.

MV on a roller coaster

A few nights ago I had a dream that I was sitting on a toilet on the back porch and I was pooping myself to death. And random strangers were walking around in my backyard trying to strike up conversation with me.

Just thought I'd share that with you guys even though it has nothing to do with spiders or roller coasters.

So are you really scared of spiders ... or are you scared of someone being attacked?

Are you scared of yourself or someone else getting attacked with no escape?

Because dogs and other animals can attack, too. Not just spiders.

I'm not afraid of being attacked or of dogs, cats, lions, tigers, bears or other animals. I am kind of claustrophobic, but that also comes from this incident because my claustrophobia is not fear of small places, but of my exit being blocked. And it's not really a "fear", but more of a feeling of being uncomfortable when my exit is blocked.

Why does she need to? Unless she wants to work in a spiders web like me when she grows up her fear is completely harmless and i imagine rarely comes up.
I can't speak for where she lives, but I encounter spiders on pretty much a daily basis. They get inside my house and the office where I work all the time. If I had a panic attack every time I saw one, I pretty much wouldn't be able to function at all.