Unfunny Comedy Actors

Tools    

This is obviously down to your opinion so, post and comment sensibly.

mine are

Will Ferrel
Ryan Reynolds
Sean William Scott
Vince Vaughn

yous?

oh i forgot, Seth Rogan and Micheal Cera

that's what she said...
I agree w/ Ryan Reynolds being on your list. He would be better suited in an action or drama movie. Also, Micheal Cera too because the only reason he's in comedy is because he's awkward looking and uses that to his advantage. He's not actually "funny". I do like Will Ferrel and Vince Vaughn a lot and Sean William Scott and Seth Rogan in most.
(All just my own personal opinion)

Adam Sadler, John C Reilly, Will Ferrell, Seth Rogen, Steve Carell, post Austin Powers Mike Myers, Rob Schneider, Jack Black, Chris Rock, Ashton Kutcher, Sean William Scott, post 90's Eddie Murphy, Vince Vaughn, Ben Stiller, Cedric The Entertainer, etc.

It's interesting, actors like Ryan Gosling in Crasy, Stupid, Love and Idris Elba in the US version of The Office, actors more renowned for more dramatic and more intense roles were far more halirious and effective than Carell.

You guys ready to let the dogs out?
Prestige, a lot of your list I'd agree with but Zoolander is one of my all time favourite movies so there's no way I'd have Ferrell and Stiller on my list. I couldn't agree less with you when it comes to Chris Rock, he's very near the top of my list of the best stand up comedians of all time. Speaking of which Eddie Murphy's pre 90s stand up was out of this world and then he went and made a load of terrible comedies which completely missed the mark for me.

that's what she said...
It's too bad you both dont like Adam Sandler. I think he's really funny in his comedies. And I like Jack Black and ESPECIALLY Ben Stiller.

I do agree w/ post Mike Myers and Eddy Murphy and Chris Rock on your list and on downthesun's list I agree w/ Joan Rivers, Dane Cook and Gilbert Gotfrried.

People I think who should be on this list are:

Lidsay Lohan
and
Justin Timberlake

I agree w/ Ryan Reynolds being on your list. He would be better suited in an action or drama movie.
Oo most definitely. He can act well when he is in the right film - Buried showed that, and some scenes in the remake of The Amityville Horror, and Smokin' Aces towards the end.

Yet funnily enough that guy can really act, he's just made some really strange choices. He's not really that funny - I agree - but you look at the likes of Gangs of New York, We Need To Talk About Kevin and Chicago and one wonders why he went for those stupid comedies instead of dramatic roles which he is really good at. Really looking forward to seeing him in Carnage, actually.

Same is true, to a lesser extent, for Will Ferrell I think. Bad choices for the most part (Anchorman, Step Brothers, Talladega Nights, ick) then does Stranger Than Fiction and is really impressive.

I do think Steve Carrell is hilarious, though.

Semper Fooey
Comedy actors in movies today are a sorry lot. The younger ones stink and the older ones like Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy are out of gas.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
I don't think this question is specific enough. The thing with comedy actors is that I like them in some movies but not in others. Their schtick starts to get old after a while, which is what makes people think they're not funny anymore. But at some point they were, right?

Will Ferrell, for example, was hilarious in "Step Brothers" and "Anchorman" but not so funny in "Elf" or "Old School." And I could say the same thing about Adam Sandler, who made me laugh with "Happy Gilmore" and "Billy Madison," but terrible in "Funny People" and "Mr. Deeds."

I think all comedy actors have hits and misses, so it's hard for me to single out the 'worst' ones

For each actor who's already been mentioned, I can think of at least 1 scene or 1 moment of theirs that made me laugh out loud; despite you guys saying they're 'unfunny.'

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
I have to agree with filmgirl on this one. I, for one, love Adam Sandler in Anger Management, but don't really like him in a lot of other movies (Happy Gilmore was hilarious though). Will Farrell just loves playing the idiot I guess, but it works for him (Step Brothers and Talladega Nights made me laugh a lot). They're both really good drama actors too. Watch Ferrell in Stranger Than Fiction and Sandler in Punch Drunk Love to see how well they can handle themselves. Now, neither of them can reach Jim Carrey or Robin Williams levels, because both of them are talented beyond belief (Williams has an Oscar, and Carrey should've been nominated at least 3 times by now), but I say they're good in their own right.

By the way, Dane Cook should just stick with stand-up. He's a terrible actor, but a pretty funny comedian. Ryan Gosling is getting up there with being good, and Steve Carrell should be daring enough to do a drama. I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be pretty damn good at it.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I kinda have to disagree about Michael Cera not being funny. Yes, he has his comedy persona that one day and probably soon, he will drive into the ground, but his delivery in his best roles is spot on. He was hilarious in Arrested Development, Superbad, and I will stand up for his work in the vastly underrated Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World and Year One. His bone dry delivery is great because unlike say Seth Rogan or Jonah Hill he isn't screaming "Hey look, I'm funny!" He's just tossing off lines like they were natural bits of conversation.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Prestige, a lot of your list I'd agree with but Zoolander is one of my all time favourite movies so there's no way I'd have Ferrell and Stiller on my list. I couldn't agree less with you when it comes to Chris Rock, he's very near the top of my list of the best stand up comedians of all time. Speaking of which Eddie Murphy's pre 90s stand up was out of this world and then he went and made a load of terrible comedies which completely missed the mark for me.
Chris Rock is a TERRIBLE comedian, mate. Sorry, but tasteless, boring, unoriginal digs at random cultures masquerading as 'daring material' is not funny. I haven't watched Zoolander but I suppose I can say that I tolerated Stiller in Meet The Parents, and he is probably the least unfunniest of all the actors I have named, but still does nothing for me. Which Eddie Murphy comedies did you not like then?

Yet funnily enough that guy can really act, he's just made some really strange choices. He's not really that funny - I agree - but you look at the likes of Gangs of New York, We Need To Talk About Kevin and Chicago and one wonders why he went for those stupid comedies instead of dramatic roles which he is really good at. Really looking forward to seeing him in Carnage, actually.
This is true. He is a decent supporting actor, I will agree. But somebody obviously told him that he can produce belly laughs and unfortunately for us, he has taken that to heart.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
I kinda have to disagree about Michael Cera not being funny. Yes, he has his comedy persona that one day and probably soon, he will drive into the ground, but his delivery in his best roles is spot on. He was hilarious in Arrested Development, Superbad, and I will stand up for his work in the vastly underrated Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World and Year One.
Michael Cera is pretty damn funny, I totally agree. I loved him in Arrested Development and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. I'm sure his routine will lose its appeal at some point, but I think he's hilarious

You guys ready to let the dogs out?
Chris Rock is a TERRIBLE comedian, mate. Sorry, but tasteless, boring, unoriginal digs at random cultures masquerading as 'daring material' is not funny. I haven't watched Zoolander but I suppose I can say that I tolerated Stiller in Meet The Parents, and he is probably the least unfunniest of all the actors I have named, but still does nothing for me. Which Eddie Murphy comedies did you not like then? (
I'm sorry mate I gotta disagree with you on this one, he's a terrible actor when it comes to films but I think his comedy is top notch. I think he's up there with Louis CK, Ricky Gervais and a few others as the current breed of top stand ups. I mean the guys won multiple Emmys and Grammys for his work, he can't be that bad.

I agree some of his jokes can be tasteless, but I think his work is very original and I disagree about taking digs at random cultures, the majority of his work focuses on race & class relations in America as well as politics. Topics I think he tackles very well. Anyway, this is just my own personal opinion, I have all his stand up work and rate it highly.

"America is the only place where people go hunting on a full stomach."

As for Mr Murphy: Holy Man, Nutty Professor 2, Daddy Day Care, Norbit.

Although he did have Dreamgirls and a few Shreks in there as well. His older stuff like Beverly Hills Cop I loved

I was going to touch on this in a thread. I always liked his dramatic bit part stuff, particularly Magnolia but I think he definitely found a natch as a comedy actor- Step Brothers is fantastic, admittedly it's love/hate but I think Reilly put in a utterly unexpected and successful comedy performance. Cyrus was a great example, also, as it took both his strengths. However, I do think his comedy roles have hurt him now as he really stuck out in We Need to Talk About Kevin

Sudoku Blackbelt
I'll add another notch next to Vince Vaughn. How this guy is in movies is beyond me.

Semper Fooey
Nobody mentioned Kevin James. How did he get a movie career? The King of Queens was terrible. Even Jerry Stiller wan't funny in that. Apparently, he has an acting career because stand-up comics who made it in television and movies like to pal around with him put him in their stuff.