Who are some acclaimed directors you can't get into?

Tools    

This whole thread is dangerous.
No it isn't.

Those are fighting words...
This whole thread is dangerous. I have a deep, deep affection for some of the directors people have listed and it feels like they have committed a sacreligious act by disliking them. I adore at least one film from most, acclaimed directors and I can tolerate at least a couple from Wes Anderson, but there are two directors whose films I consistently dislike. I LOATHE David Lynch and I think he's a weirdo. Jim Jarmusch is also another guy whose films I can't stand. It's not really surprising because I doubt I would like Jarmusch or Lynch if I was to meet them on the street. I have nothing in common with either.

Ha ha. That was really good. It's not just you though. Not by a long shot, although I feel the need to tell you I loathed Magnolia the first time I saw it and about a decade later it blew me away. I'm also going to assume you like Lynch and I have to apologize for being so adamant, but I have had people trying to convert me on him for years and I just don't get it. I'm sorry if I sounded threatening, I'm just in a mood to vent. Thanks for having such a great sense of humour.

I understand the Lynch hate, but check out The Elephant Man and, in particular, The Straight Story before you write off his entire filmography. They're not what most people associate with the man.
I didn't like the Elephant man. I know a couple of people who really like him and have told me to watch a couple of his movies (mulholland and blue velvet), much to my chagrin. Just not a fan for whatever reason.

I can understand that. Should you ever stumble across The Staight Story, just give it a chance. I'm sure you wouldn't know it was Lynch if no one told you.

I haven't yet written him off and don't dislike him, but I have seen two Ozu films and they didn't particularly grab me. Hopefully one day he will click for me.

Ozu satisfies more restricted tastes compared to Kurosawa. I loved Ozu's films at the time I just joined the forum, however, now that my palette has been compromised by stuff such as Kill Me Baby I don't think I can grasp Ozu's films again. So I am happy to leave them as powerful memories from the days when I was interested in black and white movies.

Ha ha. That was really good. It's not just you though. Not by a long shot, although I feel the need to tell you I loathed Magnolia the first time I saw it and about a decade later it blew me away. I'm also going to assume you like Lynch and I have to apologize for being so adamant, but I have had people trying to convert me on him for years and I just don't get it. I'm sorry if I sounded threatening, I'm just in a mood to vent. Thanks for having such a great sense of humour.
You were not threatening at all. I just like to be playful in my disagree responses to people not liking what I like.

It is one of the reasons I like this forum. Say you do not like X director and most anywhere else on the net it explodes into a flame war where personal attacks are made, someone is called a dumbass, bigoted statements are made, and or some idiot says "You do not understand cinema." Those self absorbed idiots are very few and far between here. Some show up and they do not last long. It is what makes this a great community.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Ozu satisfies more restricted tastes compared to Kurosawa. I loved Ozu's films at the time I just joined the forum, however, now that my palette has been compromised by stuff such as Kill Me Baby I don't think I can grasp Ozu's films again. So I am happy to leave them as powerful memories from the days when I was interested in black and white movies.
Ozu made some color films, and they're gorgeous

Of course, I watched all of his 6 color films, they are gorgeous indeed.

However, after watching a ton of much more aggressive slice of life anime I find it hard to return to 1940's, 50's slice of life black and white movies like Ozu's and Naruse's. It's like tasting super concentrated industrialized sugar and then losing the palette for those natural sweets such as the sweet of fruits.

I haven't yet written him off and don't dislike him, but I have seen two Ozu films and they didn't particularly grab me. Hopefully one day he will click for me.
I certainly hope so. Ozu is for me the greatest director, it is hard to pick one film of his that stands out from the rest but I think Early Summer is the most complete and emotionally resonant. Which two films are you referring to?

Jim Jarmusch, Nicolas Winding Refn, Oliver Stone
Fire walk with me.

I certainly hope so. Ozu is for me the greatest director, it is hard to pick one film of his that stands out from the rest but I think Early Summer is the most complete and emotionally resonant. Which two films are you referring to?
I watched Early Summer and Tokyo Story.