Wimpy Kid - My Thoughts

→ in
Tools    

Hong Kong action film buff.
I always figured they'd make a movie about my life. But I didn't think they'd start the story here. Because, seriously, who wants to see a movie about a kid who's stuck in middle school with a bunch of morons? Release date: September 9, 2010
After 10 years in the work in the book industry, Fox started work on Diary of a Wimpy Kid's film adaptation in 2008. As someone who’s read the 18 main books, I’ll say this is a faithful adaptation!
The characters in the book are all mediocre, I’ll say. But in this one, you can actually understand the characters more, and they are better people.. not including Roderick or Patty. I hate Rodrick and Patty.
At some times, the animation is a bit sloppy and is nothing special. But this is one of the BEST FILMS I’VE EVER WATCHED, DUDE!!
This movie is even more relatable then the book. I don’t know why, but when the actions are being done and you can see everything, it hits harder then having someone just describe it to you by their probably biased perspective.

5/5

Let me start by saying that having a brother is really overrated. Rowley always says he wishes he had a brother, and, boy, do l wish l could give him one of mine. l've looked into it and, unfortunately, it's not legal. Release date: September 7, 2011

Rodrick Rules is definetly not my favourite book in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid if I will be honest. But I will say it is MY FAVOURITE MOVIE!!
The bond between Greg and Rodrick is amazingly funny and heartwearming, unlike the books, where they’re always fighting nonsensically. Now, they’re friends and it for sure makes the movie better. Imagine if nothing was happening except Rodrick pranking Greg. That would be such a nonsense 1 hour and 25 minutes. The film was supposed to be 20 minutes longer but was cut out for reasons David Bower explained. Like in the commentary for Dog Days he says the film would’ve been good without the deleted scenes.
Secondly, the animation was done by a different company, who made the character sprites in this one more accurate and the animation more smoother! The Wimpy Kid series is a kid writing and drawing in his diary, and to see those drawings come to life with accurate depictions is amazing.

Let me be honest with you, I don’t really like Susan and Frank as parents. But in this movie they are the FUNNIEST PEOPLE EVER!! I love Frank and Susan acting like they’re going crazy over the bathroom door.
I also love the soundtrack, which was not composed by Theodore Shapiro. This has a much more childish feel to it in terms of music, but it is also way catchier, and the editors have good taste in music.
Rating: 5/5

I just finished up some sports... playing.

Release date: September 20, 2012

Okay, I am a huge fan of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series who has been reading actively for 5 years and even I can say that this is a horribly mediocre movie. In fact it is the worst of the original 3, even the opening sequence before the opening credits. The bathroom scene feels out of hand, and no kid at all has expierenced that. It’s so obvious.
This film tries so hard to make the scenes with Greg funny, but that fails, because this film relies on slapstick and potty humor so bad, which is why this film is way too childish for my liking. The first two films were about the troubles of school and growing up, with a lot of relatable scenes. Now this is about.. faking a job to get in a country club? What? Not to mention when Greg jumps off the high dive and loses his gosh darn underwear.. how does that even happen? This film is trying too hard to be funny to younger kids and not appeal to kids the age of Greg.

The only funny characters are Rodrick, Rowley, Susan, and Frank, like always. How come side characters are written better then the literal protagonist? How? HOW?! The score in this film is mediocre and has too much of a ‘summer feel’ to it. It doesn’t feel natural with the instruments.
Now, now, now, I’m a fan of this series, I can’t just hate on this movie. There’s a good side to everything..
The only scene with Greg in it REMOTELY funny is the tennis scene. It’s always funny to see someone play tennis who actually doesn’t know how. Not to mention that the bond between Greg and Frank is wholesome. In the book series, they practically hate each other, but in this movie, there are funny scenes with them that I can enjoy. I think this is one of the only things I like about the film.
The animation has improved drastically, it is smoother, but the thing about the animation is that while there is more effort into it, there are unfortunately less animated scenes. So, to conclude this highly critical review, this film is so childish and mediocre, it’s just annoying, but I also just can’t get myself to completely hate it. So I give it a
Rating: 3/5

You want me to read. I'm reading text! What's the difference?

Release date: April 22, 2017

The Long Haul: Famous for it's bad reception by the community. But is it really THAT bad? Here is what I think, which is a LOT. I took down about 10 notes while watching this.
So, the film is about them going on a road trip for Meemaw’s 90th birthday and Susan enforces a rule of no technology, which I think is pretty annoying. Susan’s rule of no technology is annoying and especially for a person like Greg who is self-centered and only cares about his own happiness, and the outcome is a bad main character. Greg in the first three movies were better characters compared to Greg in the first seven books. But when you compare this counterparts, the book Greg is better. All this Greg cares about is video games and Mac Digby, a famous YouTuber in the Wimpy World. The thing about the books is that we don’t know EXACTLY where they are, and the social media/tech aspect is doing a great job
at not letting us know. The books capture a great essence of just a kid in school. This movie is just about a kid obsessed with games and technology and YouTube, and he is a bad person.

Speaking of bad, the CGI in this movie is completely horrendous. It’s only with one shot where the pig tries flying out the window, but it’s so obvious that it’s just sad.
The movie relies on potty humor instead of carefully crafted punchlines that effort were put in, like Diaper Hands and the pig farting. However, there is only one time that is funny but I don’t recommend sticking around just for it.
I also don’t recommend sticking around for Greg or Manny. Their characters are portrayed horribly and not at all accurately to the first three movies or first twelve books. It’s just so annoying. Rodrick, Susan and Frank are the only good actors in this movie, and they portray their characters very well. I don’t know why Charlie Wright gets hated on for his version of Rodrick. He reminds me of Devon’s version.
This could be better and this could be worse. Sure beats the hell out of Double Down, though.
Rating: 2.3/5

I'm like, permanently scarred from that night.

Release date: December 2, 2021
Disney’s 3D adaptations of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books have of course been made to attract the franchise to a new, younger, modern audience. And for some long-time fans of the series, this failed miserably.
I just started reading this series in 2019 when McDonalds bundled short Diary of a Wimpy Kid books with every happy meal. The only one I DO remember having was the Do It Yourself (Maccas edition) book. So obviously I haven’t been reading this series for long, but what are my opinions on this film?
So it’s basically Diary of a Wimpy Kid but with half the plot cut out, shortening in it to literally fifty three minutes. How dissapointing is that?
But the decent animation and CGI and great script make up for it, but what would have made it better was if the soundtrack score was actually GOOD. This basic 2010s kids movie score is just not it for Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
So the rest of this review is going to be me talking about the characters.
So Greg is voiced by Brady Noon who delivers his lines well, but sounds like he has a cough during this entire film. He really captures the essences of what a selfish person Greg is in this movie with just his voice.
The deviousness of Fregley in the original trilogy was disgusting to me and I really hated his character. But in this movie, they actually made his disgustingness.. FUNNY?!
What is not funny is Rowley. In this movie he straight-up takes an idea from Greg and uses it to his popularity and acts like a jerk after his cast injury. As Greg has said multiple times “He’s left-handed! He can feed himself just fine!”
Ok, so this movie was actually pretty good. For some reason, I didn’t like it the first time I saw it because the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series is supposed to have a funny feel. But to younger me, with the background music and everything, it just felt sad. But, I watched it three years later, and I think it is pretty decent.

Rating: 3/5

Rodrick's been taking me under his wing.

Release date: December 2, 2022

Can THIS compete with the David Bowers version? No it cannot, but it lives up to it pretty well. It’s much more better then the 2021 movie.
The story relies on Gregory and Rodrick, and unlike in the book, they care for each other like brothers should and it’s actually very wholesome. They are more caring and that makes the climax of this movie even more better.
In-fact the bond is so wholesome that Greg doesn’t even get angry when Rodrick calls it a diary.
Frank has more screentime in this movie, and while he is very funny, Chris Dia and Steve Zahn cannot compete.
Rowley is the most annoying character in the book series, and that is exeggarated very hard in this movie. I wanted to break my screen every scene Rowley appeared in.
This film is very great. The comedy scenes hit the spot (especially when Greg becomes popular at school) and it was a massive improvement from the last one.
Rating: 4/5

IT'S ALIIIVVVEEEE!!!!"
Release date: December 8, 2023
I don’t have a download of this film or Disney+ anymore, so here is a review based on what I CAN remember from the film.
A Cabin Fever film has been bound to exist since 2013, hyped up over and over, and after ten years, we actually get one. And is it that good? I must say- yes.
All the suburban white yippie moms whining about how Greg doesn’t believe in Santa Claus is a trend that has been going on and on for YEARS and YEARS. Considering Santa isn’t real though, I have no problem with it.
I do have a problem with how Rodrick acts about the whole snowplow incident as if he knows Greg did it, when Rodrick knows nothing in general, if you think about it.
And I also do like how there were a lot of different things from the book and the film. Combining Santa’s Scout and Alfrendo to make Elfrendo was genius on their side. The book and movie actually kinda have different plots, and I actually love it. Asides from being a mega-fan there was actually a reason to see this film.
Rating: 4/5