Mentally ill MoFos

Tools    

jrs was related to Nicolas Cage.
And no, I'm not kidding.

I'm kinda disgusted this place had the gall to ban someone related to Nicolas Cage, but whatever.
Aww damn. Maybe I could have convinced him to pass cage one of my screen plays. In the imaginary future, when I've written a feature length script.

OMG! Remember how I said I have a bunch of issues? Well I totally forgot about this one because I haven't really been out anywhere lately. I discovered it on the 8th grade Washington trip - after a couple hours on the bus I had to go so bad - waited in a long line when we finally made a rest stop, and when it was my turn up at bat (with another long line behind me) I couldn't go.

Luckily I don't have the related problems foster describes - my sympathies, buddy, some of that sounds pretty awful. For me, it seems totally dependent on the social environ of the "public" restroom. Now, if faced with the dilemma I just go in a stall if possible.
A lot of times stalls used to work for me. Not 100% reliable but many times I was able to get some relief.

Two jobs back when things started to get really bad for me physically they had this one restroom that had a private shower, etc for people after using the gym. But it was a single person restroom with a lock on the door.

So if it was occupied i would keep wandering the halls and then swing by it again to check. Another young guy worked in the building as a janitor, cleaning the carpets etc so I became friends with him. he always jokingly referred to me as "the wanderer" but never knew why.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Swan, it's just like how people romanticize Syd Barrett or anyone who dies young.

Foster, I have to pee every night, once or twice. It really interferes with my sleep, especially if I wake up when the sun is just coming out. I've done every kind of test - liver, diabetes, etc., nothing. I drink about 50 ounces of water on average, and a can of Dr. Pepper like today.

They always say that it's men who won't come out. I've never it's mostly men on here talking about things. Good sign. I like 99% of all the MOFOs very dearly. Please do the best you can. Meditation is great, but it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Just take as many deep breaths as possible. Also, be alert on your muscles not being relaxed, happens to me all the time. Close off the sensory, any interruptions, total silence, don't move a muscle for a few minutes or as long as you can, and you'll feel better. I find taking hot showers almost makes me feel better. Tryptophan at night helps too. I notice when I get a bad night's of sleep the things that ordinarily wouldn't bother me do to an extent depending on how I feel. Do all the things you can control, and try to accept it, laugh as much as possible, and be thankful you are at least here.

Oh, and watch great movies... It really helps!

Swan, it's just like how people romanticize Syd Barrett or anyone who dies young.
It's really not the same at all, and anyway Barrett didn't die young.

This thread is for Swan. I hope he likes it.

WHO here is suffering from a mental illness?

What do you have? What does it make you do? How do you treat it and live with it?

Signed,
Curious to Know
Im diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia after a manic episode which turned into a psychosis.

I still take medication but otherwise i have been symptom free for years and i work in an social psychiatric institution with young people between 18-30 who are mentally ill with diagnosis ranging from schizophrenia, bipolar, borderline or depression. Problems with drug and alcohol does also occur.

Besides that i do lectures on physical activity and recovery related to schizophrenia both for patients and employees in the psychiatry. I also do lectures on being a peer worker in a psychiatric institution mostly for professionals working in the psychiatry.

As it is i go to a psychologist once a month and otherwise i keep my attention to studying and working.

Anyway if you ask my doctor i suffer from schizophrenia but i you ask my psychologist who specializes in psychosis i suffered from an acute psychosis and that is one of the reasons for my relatively quick recovery.

Yeah, I was hoping TokeZa would speak up in this thread. We've talked a bit about it before.

I was officially diagnosed with Apserger's Syndrome (recently reclassified as Autistic Spectrum Disorder) back in my mid thirties. My GP had to write an application letter to the Manchester GMC in order to obtain funding to send me up to a clinic in Sheffield for assessment. At the time there were only two places in England (the other in Cambridge) qualified to make an official diagnosis. I was interviewed at length, and had to attend with my mum who was also questioned in depth regarding my childhood in particular. It took them over a month of deliberation before I received a phone call (followed by a letter) confirming the diagnosis, and I was overjoyed at finally having a name for my condition. Having a name for it really helps because I can learn from the experience of other sufferers, and give people a partial explanation (never an excuse) for my sometimes erratic and strange behavior, so others (if open minded enough) may better understand me.

Without wishing to ramble off into a woe is me violin concerto, the condition manifests it'self as an overwhelming feeling of anxiety and fear. I am often socially awkward to the point of agoraphobia with strangers and large groups of people; do not always read social cues well - written or verbal; am extremely introverted; paranoid that people despise me - often with good reason, and trapped in a daily routine of OCD (my obsessions are fear of contamination by dirt - so obsessive hand washing, and checking things are switched off and doors are locked ad infinitum. There is no numerical rationale like many other sufferers). Naturally I was mercilessly bullied during my primary school years, a trend that has sporadically continued throughout my adult life. I know this is because I can be easy to antagonise and hence an easy target for muppets who get a kick out of that type of thing. I've also been known to lash out and verbally browbeat others, but it's always in the heat of the moment and never premeditated. I'm often overcome with guilt after such episodes and replay the exchanges in my mind over and over.

Like many other things I'm working on all these behaviors daily. It's a tough perpetual curve, but I'm hanging on in there because life is precious and I want to be better for my wife. I'm married to the warmest, most compassionate lady you could ever hope to meet and together we muddle through constantly learning and adapting. We've emigrated half way around the world back to her Canadian homeland and now have a new set of hopes and fears - leaving the house has gotten a lot tougher for me here because now I'm even more of an outsider. I view these things as remarkable achievements for an Aspie though. Not many Asperger's sufferers work, let alone get married and emigrate. I'm high functioning even by Aspie standards (sadly not a savant though) and often our closest friends (yes I've managed to hold on to some special people over the years) will say they regularly forget I even have a condition. That's a double edged sword for another debate though.

So I'd just like to thank and give my best wishes to everyone in this thread who has opened up. It's an admirable trait that I was raised to believe shows strength of character. Nobody's perfect and these things are sent to test us. Never give up.

Originally Posted by Used Future
I know this is because I can be easy to antagonise and hence an easy target for muppets who get a kick out of that type of thing.
You're bullied by muppets? No wonder you're mental.

I bet Miss Piggy's the worst. She's always karate chopping.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Muppets.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	23536  

All these people with OCD hand washing and germs. I wonder how their OCD would have been different 100 years ago.

It used to be doctors didn't even wash their hands before surgery!! Nobody knew about germs or that they could make you sick. It's a relatively recent development.

Allegedly started by the Manchester Met Police for fellow idiot officers and meaning:

Most
Useless
Police
Person
Ever
Trained

All these people with OCD hand washing and germs. I wonder how their OCD would have been different 100 years ago.

It used to be doctors didn't even wash their hands before surgery!! Nobody knew about germs or that they could make you sick. It's a relatively recent development.
The only reason I could see to become addicted to hand washing is because the hot water can feel good. If you've got some good hot water going, it can feel like a nice, hot mini-bath for the hands. Very pleasing.

@ Foster. Oh yeah definitely, no doubt because we live in such a hygiene obsessed sterile society nowadays. OCD has definitely been around for at least a century though. Howard Hughes was a renowned sufferer of the germ phobic variety and that was back in the early 1900's.

When I was a boy my mum told me how dog feces can make you go blind if you injest or get it in your eyes. That really freaked me out and my OCD gradually escalated from there. Walking around Manchester I used to call it the dog sh*t hopscotch.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder here, the earliest age I can remember it starting was around seven or eight years old. I don't do the hand washing though, just a certain routine with the taps and drying my hands. Dirt and germs are not really a problem for me.