David lynch-like movies

Tools    

tip me on some movies that are surreal, mystic and with a deep plot that takes some thought to understand.

barton fink i read about somewhere on the forum. maybe?

and donnie darko i have seen.

I See You When You're Sleeping
ahhgggg! it's me again hello!

There are sooo many good 'lynchies' here's a few
my choices:

Eraserhead
Lost Highway
blue velvet
wild at heart
Mullholland Drive

others (not lynch);

vanilla sky
Pi
Requiem for A Dream

ok....it's a weird thread because alot of films can be seen in different ways! e.g I named Vanilla Sky, others will say it's a veg fest of unprovoked crap when I say it's great (also the original open your eyes is great)

but there you go. You could say Biggles (starring Peter Cushing) was deep but I wouldn't. I'm mumbling again......

I am having a nervous breakdance
"Memento" by Christopher Nolan

"Stalker", "Solaris", "The Mirror" by Andrei Tarkovsky

"Persona", "Cries and Whispers", "Wild Strawberries" by Ingmar Bergman

"Repulsion" by Roman Polanski

"Funny Games" by Michael Haneke

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

thanx, i´m ploughig through lynch´s movies now, really getting in to this type of films.

just bought blue velvet and ghost world(have seen it, great movie) on dvd.

gonna rent straight story(which isn´t to lynchie is it?) and wild at heart.

eraserhead was the most awful movie i´ve ever seen(which i guess was the point) couldn´t even watch it to the end(i know, death sin).

mulholland drive i´ll by when it´s out on dvd here.

other than repulsion, i dont really see much similarity (except for maybe that they're all "wierd" movies) between your picks and the lynch canon, piddzilla.

have none of you fellas seen shinya tsukamoto's delightful 'tetsuo: the iron man' (1988)? stylistically it's sort of remenicent of eraserhead, but a lot faster and funnier...describing the plot would be about as fruitfull as describing the plot to eraserhead, but if you guys see it, keep your eyes peeled for the excellent "giant phalic drill" scene.

yeah if you want a lynch like film, go see barton fink, i was suprised to see a different director doing a film so close to a lynch like film. its an old great movie, go check it out, i've posted it on here before.

1. Slaughterhouse-Five (1972) George Roy Hill

2. Jacob's Ladder (1990) Adrian Lyne

3. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) Terry Gilliam

4. Naked Lunch (1991) David Cronenberg

5. Brazil (1985) Terry Gilliam

These should make you happy. If you are a budding fan of David Lynch, then you will likely enjoy most of Terry Gilliams work as well. Check his movies out!
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally posted by linespalsy
other than repulsion, i dont really see much similarity (except for maybe that they're all "wierd" movies) between your picks and the lynch canon, piddzilla.

Well, I wasn't looking to present films from "the Lynch canon" either. He asked for "movies that are surreal, mystic and with a deep plot that takes some thought to understand." ("weird" if you prefer that label). So, that's what I gave him. I don't know which films besides Lynch's own that belong to his "canon". I saw that LordSlaytan mentioned Cronenberg and Gilliam. Great choices and very suitable for this topic - but not having more in common with Lynch than Tarkovsky if you ask me.

My life isn't written very well.
Here are some that I felt were darker beneath the surface. You had to actually think about what the movie was trying to convey.
Although they aren't as confusing as a David Lynch film, they do make you think a bit.

Pink Floyd: The Wall (1982)

Babe: Pig in the City (1998)

Videodrome (1983)

Picnic at Hanging Rock(1975)

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Originally posted by r3port3r66
Babe: Pig in the City (1998)
Say what??? What, were you high when you saw it? I know I was.

PS: That was a long time ago kiddies. I've given up my terrible ways.

I guess you're right Slay. Maybe I shouldn't have listed it here. But it did have a dark side that, when I think about it, said alot about humanity. And that wasn't really the focus of the film, I had to interpret that later, upon a second viewing.

As far as being high...well, let's just say I wasn't old enough to appreciate The Wall when I first saw it. Later on, in my 20's, I finally grew to understand what it was all about.

Louis Bunuel: "The father of cinematic Surrealism and one of the most original directors in the history of the film medium." -IMBd

Bunuel's collaboration with the premier Surrealist painter, Salvado Dali, Un Chien Andalou, is a must see for any Surrealist movie lover.

Laugh if you will, but I thought "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" was really weird. Since I saw it when I was young, the imagery really stuck with me (and grew), to almost giant proportions.

A lot of Tim Burtons earlier stuff was strange.

Originally posted by Mystery Man

Louis Bunuel: "The father of cinematic Surrealism and one of the most original directors in the history of the film medium." -IMBd

Bunuel's collaboration with the premier Surrealist painter, Salvado Dali, Un Chien Andalou, is a must see for any Surrealist movie lover.
That’s one of the ones I was thinking about and also an old Hitchcock called Spellbound starring Ingrid Bergman and Gregory Peck… Salvador Dali had a hand in that one too…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

>>piddzilla

du verkar gilla ingemar bergman. har aldrig orkat kolla ordentligt på någon av hans filmer.

vilket rekommenderar du som nybörjarfilm?

Originally posted by solamim
>>piddzilla

du verkar gilla ingemar bergman. har aldrig orkat kolla ordentligt på någon av hans filmer.

vilket rekommenderar du som nybörjarfilm?
Vad i helvete?? En svensk!!! Trevligt!!

Tja, Bergman är väl ingen personlig favorit så, men han har en jävligt egen stil och är helt klart en av filmhistoriens mest intressanta filmskapare.

Nybörjarfilm?? Tja... "Fanny & Alexander" är ju förmodligen mest lättillgänglig, men också väldigt bra tycker jag. "Scener ur ett äktenskap" är väl inte heller så tung. Den tycker jag också om.

Men du ville väl ha lite skruvade filmer? I så fall har du ju "Tystnaden" t ex. Den är rätt skum faktiskt. "Smultronstället" är ju väldigt känd för sin omtalade drömsekvens. Lite surrealistiskt sådär. Sen kan jag inte låta bli att tycka att han den där äcklige gubben i "Lost Highway" liknar Döden i "Det sjunde inseglet", en annan cool, men kanske inte så skum, Bergman-klassiker. "Persona" är rätt mysko.

Dom flesta Bergman-rullar har väl nån lite symbolisk scen eller så utan att hela filmen är direkt Lynch-aktig. Du får väl pröva dig fram... Lycka till!!!

Piddy,

JAG hata den när JAG känna sig utanför!

Utom , Jag er glad ingen en annars veta vad vi er talande omkring. Den slag nöje till har en insida skämt.

På något sätt Pidzilla har stor smaksinne i bion , så lita på hans anbefallningen!

PS Icke gör det berätta någon på denne forum omkring min skicklighet till läsa och skriva Svensk. De makt få svartsjuk!

R66. You suck!

Nah, I'm kidding... I understood everything very well. You must have a good dictionary!

Ok, I will not speak swedish anymore around here. You're right, it's unpolite. I just wanted to respond in swedish.

me neither. it was just this one time.

anyway, i just got blue velvet on dvd from ginza.se.

i heard the movie quality of the dvd-version should be pretty bad but i hope it will be good enough not to ruin the experience.

Piddy', solamim;

I thought it was interesting that you guys were writing in Swedish. I wondered what you guys were saying to each other (I felt left-out) so I went to this website:

http://translation.langenberg.com/

pasted your text, and responded to you.

I hope you didn't think I was making fun, I was actually trying to be respectful. I just hope that what I wrote was translated with the correct words.

JAG mente nej respektlösheten till du. Behaga accept min ursäkt. vännerna