Plot Twists

Tools    

SPOILERS

Yeah, Seven had a great twist -- bleak, yet realistic. One of the few movies that is good to watch, even if you don't walk out with a completely happy ending buzzing around your head. I like some of the commentary on the DVD, where a guy says something like "They were thinking of taking the head in the box part out, and I told them 'Everyone will be talking about this scene. This is the head-in-the-box movie...you can't take the head-in-the-box scene out of the head-in-the-box movie.'" -- that was funny.

I was just discussing this the other day.

Some of the movies I thought of

The Game
Sixth Sense
Primal Fear
Usual Suspects
Original Planet of the Apes
Fight Club
Shawshank Redemption

SPOILER

AS for the new planet of the apes.

The ape planet was not earth, it had 2 moons etc. So its not like the original. When whatshisname left the planet at the end he took the last remaining spaceship with him. So for the plot twist to be plausible Thade would have had to build and pilot a spaceship back to earth in his lifetime. Seeing as how he is an old ape judging by the white hairs I don't think thats very realistic. Additionally this crazy electromagnetic storm would have to still be around by the time he gets his spaceship built.

And whats more, is that not only must he build a spaceship, he must make one big enough to transport his entire race as an invasion army.

Its very stupid in my opinion. The movie woulda been better without that ending. They just wanted to make a twist like the original and leave it open for a sequel.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Spoilerz:

Originally posted by aspen
The ape planet was not earth, it had 2 moons etc. So its not like the original. When whatshisname left the planet at the end he took the last remaining spaceship with him. So for the plot twist to be plausible Thade would have had to build and pilot a spaceship back to earth in his lifetime.
He wouldn't have to build one. There was still one known ship in the lake, that only he knew about. Plus there could of been more in the ship itself.

SPOILERS

What? How could he get it out of the lake? That thing is far too heavy. Not only that, but I don't see how they managed to conquer several billion people by the time he got back. That's just not plausible.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Neither is a man flying into space after a monkey, getting transported to a parrallel universe, on a planet with exact earth like conditions, monkeys that have evolved almost the same as monkeys on earth, that speak perfect english, and that have a government! If your not going to question that, then why question the ending?

Because that was at least explained. I can hold out believe that that monkey evolved. I can hold out belief that the monkeys started with English because they were raised by humans. The government part is something any evolved species would do, too, I think.

But the other part asks us to believe that 1,000 can defeat 6 billion in a very short amount of time. It also asks us to believe that that portal fluctates in time -- when the movie gave no indication of this. It's science fiction, which means that, while outrageous, things still make basic sense. This isn't The Neverending Story.

Nevermind that apes are afraid of water right?

Plus something tells me that his ship at the bottom of the water isn't operable... even if it was designed to be run by monkeys.

And when whatshisname left Thade had fallen from power anyways.

A good sequel would have been whatshisname first convincing his superiors that the ape planet exists, then launching an expedition to it. Ala "return to the...."

A system of cells interlinked
The Sixth Sense
Vertigo
The Usual Suspects (my favorite by far)
Frailty
Shattered (although the lead man is a TOOL)

RE Apes: I loved this ending! Walking out of the theatre not liking it at all, like most I guess. Then some friends of mine and I sat and chatted about it and came up with this....

The time storm is the key. There is no rhyme or reason as to how it propels objects out of itself and through time. So the film has a certain amount to do with randomness. For example, The objects enter the storm in this order...

Monkey, Marky the monkey man, Oberon

This sets the audience up with some sort of time sequence as to how the objects will travel through time, every time. This is totally erroneous as the objects do NOT arrive in this order. The ship arrives centuries earlier than Marky and the monkey arrives after Marky. This right here shows us that the storm is erratic and unpredictable. So, there will be no saying this should have arrived at this time and this should have come here, because the storm is random.

Ok, that out of the way, watch carefully the end of the film when Limbo (slave trader), steals an item from the ship Marky is about to take. What is it? What could it have been? The ships flight manual perhaps? Schematic included mayhap? Who knows, but it could have contained some information about the ship and space travel.

At one point in the film, someone is talking about the Oberon and says that the Oberon has stored all the broadcasts from earth and stored them since in service. Was this an automated system? was it still operational for a while after the oberon went through time? Could someone, perhaps an intelligent ape general trapped RIGHT NEXT to the computer for an extended period of time have gained access to all these recordings, totally absorbing and becoming obsessed with the culture he saw in these recordings? Perhaps gaining enough knowledge during this time of our govt structure, or architecture and our modes of travel? Then finally getting out, recovering the ship (I mean 50 apes with a few strong ropes could pull that little toy ship out of the water), and using it's shell to get an operational ship going to get out into the time storm which, since it's so erratic, might throw him farther back than Monkey Mark to either infiltrate earth at an earlier time (THIS!) OR rebuild his own planet into a likeness of earth (I've changed my mind - this didn't happen)) and establish a somewhat similar society of apes, now modelled after earth because of the knowledge gained from the oberon (which probably spawned the initial ape race on the planet when it went WAY back in time). Remember, there were some anxious apes on the Oberon when it entered the cloud, and they got out. This was the start of the primitive ape race on the planet, which was then reshaped and molded by Thade after the ancestor monkeys evolved to his current state. The old relic gun reinforces this theory quite well.

So by transporting INFORMATION through time, a number of times, and coupled with the experiments on the intelligence of primates (a caveat maybe?), humans create their own demise or overthrowing as a race. The tests on the monkeys can explain accelerated evolution as well.

There is more to this film, and I like thinking about the cool scenarios that you can apply. There will always be room for paradox, this is time travel, but it's not an incomprehensible mess to be sure.

Originally Posted by SultanBigPants
The best plot twist ever is The Usual Suspects.
That twist was so predictable, it was funny. The only doubt I had in my mind was, "they couldn't make it this obvious... maybe it's not him".

I think the best twist ever was in Fight Club. If you've only seen it once watch it again, all of the dialoge that seemed "weird" will make perfect sense.

BANNED
Ima have to say the best ploit twists are Fight Club..and Identity

Oh yeah, Memento was good too.

BANNED
memento had a plot twist?????

Originally Posted by SPIDEI2_MAN__
memento had a plot twist?????
Have you seen it?

BANNED
Originally Posted by Sickman
Have you seen it?
yeah i have...the movie happens backwards..maybe it just didnt surprise me as much

There's more going on in Memento than the crux of the narrative being told in small portions and in reverse. The main "twist" is that...

WARNING: "MEMENTO" spoilers below
Leonard is the one who actually killed his wife, by giving her insulin injections. The men who broke into their home and assaulted them, Lenny and Teddy already caught and killed them. But Leonard doesn't remember this of course, so he keeps leving "clues" for himself to make the mystery go on and on. At the "end" of the movie, we see he has decided to make Teddy be the answer to the clues this round. Which is where the movie "starts".

So yeah, lots of twists in Memento. Those are the main ones, but there are others.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

BANNED
Oh yeah your right my bad dunno what was goin through my mind...I still say Identity had the biggest twist of all time..that and Sixth Sense which is classic..

Most of these have already been mentioned of course.

Fight Club
Primal Fear
The Game
The Sixth Sense
The Usual Suspects
Psycho
Seven
Twelve Monkeys
Mystic River

Just to name some of my favorites.