Best movie set in the 50's

Tools    

Best movie set in the 50s is West Side Story.

"When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way
From your first cigarette to your last dyin' day!
When you're a Jet, let 'em do what they can
You've got brothers around, you're a family man!"
Yay!! Right on, Mrs. Darcy.

Late 50's/early 60's, is more like it, though.

While certainly not constructed by the finest, or most unique, of cinematic colors, I've always felt that This Boy's Life has often encountered and endured the spaces in my mind. I always fancy my generous recall of Mr. Bob De Niro -- as his portrayal of Dwight -- in that mean-spirited haircut, walloping on Dicaprio's character, Toby (or was that Jack? , while almost always too sensitive toward a cuffed-pants teenager who wanders through so many of the childish mistakes which elaborately encourage Dwight's petty tantrums and tensions.

The sound of skateboards, the smell of cheap cigarettes and buttered potatoes are quite lucid throughout the picture, for its cinematography really captured a complete composite of a rural, 1950's painting for growing up in the northern scalps of the United States. Fine performances within, the film deserves a bit of recognition as an effectively moving, true story about the cruelty of small-town life and the menaces often found in the management of them all.

I loved "North By Northwest"

and "The Talented Mr Ripley" both directed by late great Director's Hitchcock and Minghella

Dave
On Screen

I think I'd say Pleasentville, although it wasn't a great film I always liked it a lot!