Kevin Costner movies

Tools    

It wasn't a Southern drawl in JFK, it was a Nawlins accent, and it wasn't bad as Nawlins accents go.

MovieForums Extra
Hey, so are you saying that the accent was *intentional* on the behalf of Costner and pretty accurate as well?! If so, then I guess it could be said that he did a really good job...

On the other hand, it rings a lot like a *really* bad JFK accent, so I guess this is that the general public do not like!

I meant in the movie "JFK" (where he played Jim Garrison), not in "13 Days", which I didn't see and can't comment on Costner's accent in that film.

^
Kevin Costner
[punches him in the face, grabs him and points his gun right at his throat] I never said anything about the FBI. She's my partner, ese. And if anything happens to her, I will find you and I will kill you. I won't think twice. Come here, look in my eyes. [pushes barrel of the gun into his mouth and cocks it] Look at my face. If anything happens to her, I will kill you. This is between you and me, and nobody sees, nobody knows.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
His roles consist of playing:

1: A Cowboy.

2: A Baseball Player.

3: A Fish.

Suspect's Reviews

My top 5 faves of his (of which, only one was before DWW):

5. 13 Days
I refrained from seeing this movie in theatres because I know the story of the Cuban Missle Crisis from my high school American history class. However, upon hearing mostly positive reviews after the fact, I decided to give it a view when I came across it the DVD rental store. And I have to say that this movie does an excellent job of depicting the build-up of sophisticated international political tension that must've filled the White House during this period of history. As cliche as it sounds, despite knowing how this story ends, this film still managed to keep me at the edge of my seat.

4. Open Range
In this one, Mr. Costner teams up with Robert Duvall to make a partnership that is the center of Open Range cast. For me, this just a good solid cowboy flick that feels like a genuine modern update of the genre that has become the American classic.
I remember when I went to go see this movie, after watching so many films, that while on average were pretty good, were still of the same ol'standard genres that seem to occupy the majority of screens in theatres these days.
So when a "period piece" like Open Range comes into my life, it feels just like a good healthy dose of solid western fare being shot into the craving chasm of my movie-viewing system,
pard'ner.

3. The Untouchables
I'll be honest; I've never held Brian DePalma in high regard as his reputation as a filmmaker has become
To me, his skills as a director, though usually capable, mostly seems a bit simplistic for me, particularly when it comes to intrepreting the story on screen.
This simplicity, however, along with Kevin Costner's "goody-two-shoes" image, merge well into the feel & attitude of this particular movie. Under other hands, the Untouchables could've easily come off a shallow noir-ish mess. But with DePalma's method of storytelling, in the end, becomes something more like a film version & modern update of those old EC crime comicbooks from the 1950's.

2. JFK
While I don't believe in any of the conspiracies of this event, Oliver Stone unravels the various "secrets" & clues that drive the "purpose" of this story in almost an ordered manner that makes this an excellently thrilling & very enthralling film (despite how confusing alot of the actual "facts" themselves tend to get at certain points).
As a "fictional" political-drama that seems to build & build up to an accumulative effect, JFK is movie that works exceptionally well on that level, & features more actors than theories on what really happened, with Kevin Costner providing a stable & reliable lead role to carry such a large ensemble cast.

1. Dances With Wolves
If you were to take all the things wrong with Waterworld & the Postman, irradiate them with the physics of binding energy that compose everything in the Bizarro world (i.e. "the opposite"), then you would end up getting this movie.
No, seriously....
you would.
I tried it once.

I usually try to refrain from labeling someone as an actor that I dislike for the reason that I wouldn't want to limit my chances of experiencing a good film that that particular actor might rarely end up starring in. Adam Sandler is a good example. I thought for sure that there would never be a movie of his that I would enjoy watching. But then Punch Drunk Love came along, which not only ended up becoming a film that I enjoyed, but even became one of my top 5 fave romance flicks of all time (which is kind of difficult to do since romance isn't one of my favorite genres to watch).
Kevin Costner's acting has never really done anything that made me go "wow", but even when he's done things like the terrible accent in 13 Days, the film itself was solid enough that I eventually just found myself not paying much attention to how bad it (the accent) was.
So while I find that he's had more misses than hits when it comes to my tastes in movies, he's still done enough good movies in his career to prevent me from completely dismissing his milquetoast acting ass.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I liked Kevin Costner in,

The Untouchables
No Wat Out
Robin Hood
Dragonfly

For me Kevin Costner is one of those actors who is just sort of there, no one really notices him. I neither love him or hate him, he just mearly exists. Hes nothing to right home about but certainly not worth hating either. Though i did enjoy Waterworld as a child ^_^ but as a child i didnt really give a hoot about who could or couldnt act.

You Costner haters are high or something.

Okay, he does accents really badly but I like him overall. I can't say I disliked him in anything I've seen so my favorite Costner films are:

1). A Perfect World
2). JFK
3). Field of Dreams
4). Dances with Wolves

In that order.

What about Mr. Brooks? That's supposed to be view-worthy...I think Costner needs to take more chances. Play more against character type or at least an ugly part/character. Think of Kevin Bacon in "In the Cut" w/ Meg Ryan--I barely recognized him. Or Robin Williams in "1 Hour Photo"--another great (unsettling) performance.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I'm sorry, but my hatred for Kevin Costner knows no bounds. The man cannot act. Plain and simple! He doesn't look terribly intelligent (I don't care much either way though), and he doesn't choose his movies wisely.

I cannot honestly remember a movie in which he did a good job as an actor - Field of Dreams was the only one where he didn't totally stink up the place.

Field of Dreams did stink. A son and father reunite because they're relationship was so horrible that they could only communicate via baseball. Nice.

I have zero use for Field of Dreams. One of my most disliked films. Especially being from Corn and Baseball Iowa.

A Perfect World is wonderful and a grim story in which Costner is spot on within his limited range. I also like his similar character in Waterworld.

He manages to put on that middle class, conservative charm (is there such a thing) in Bull Durham. Even if it is a baseball centered film, it's still decent. And I don't care about accents. because if I did that would invalidate a million classic films where the badguys always speak with an English accent no matter where they are from. This is why I very much enjoy him in Robin Hood.

Other than that I don't care a lot for him, but when he's within his one or two characters, he's spot on.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

C'mon. I throw a great post out there about The Big Chill, and nobody get's it?

I'm watching Silverado right now. Costner is good in that one.
I get. I'm glad he moved on from that performance.

Consider Silverado the one exception to the rule of Costner's terrifying suckiness.
I guess we don't agree much at all on Costner... or maybe westerns?

He wasn't good at playing the cocky gunslinger kid part... not at all. And Silverado was a horrible relic of a western from their most sucky time period in the 1980's. Even Eastwood made a bad western in that decade.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
I love Field of Dreams and No Way Out. I've actually seen quite a few of his films that I liked, The Postman,Swing Vote, A Perfect World, and Silverado. I think I'm forgetting another in there.