Movie Tab II

Tools    

Of course and I'm surprised you aren't with us.
Oh, I'm definitely with you guys.

In fact, I'm the one in the middle wearing the goat costume.

The Guard (John Michael McDonagh, 2011)

Nightwatching (Peter Greenaway, 2007)

Ravenous (Antonia Bird, 1999)

Treme, Season 1 ("created by" Eric Overmeyer and David Simon, 2010) (tv)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Boyhood
+
Possession
+
The Night Stalker

Ratatouille
+ REWATCH
Thor 2
+ REWATCH
Good Morning, Vietnam
+
Deja Vu
+ REWATCH
Grand Budapest Hotel
-
Citizen Ruth

The Haunting

Inherent Vice (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2014)
+

The Lego Movie (Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, 2014)
+

Cars (John Lasseter and Joe Ranft, 2006) (Rewatch)

The Long Goodbye (Robert Altman, 1973) (Rewatch)
+

The Jungle Book (Wolfgang Reitherman, 1967)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Due to studying I only managed to watch 4 films in two weeks. Here's what I have seen:

萌の朱雀 [Suzaku] (1997) -
(Naomi Kawase manages to sneak in a lot of emotion while staying as minimalistic as possible. It is a slow slice-of-life drama, yet somehow it feels like a full-blown epic of human proportions. Okay, I'm gonna stop, because I'm getting pretentious in my words, but believe me, the movie is not! You may find it dull and boring, but it doesn't try to be anything else than what it is: a little drama about a family!)

Stella polaris (1993) -
(It's alright, but for a movie that has no dialogue, great cinematography, little Norwegian village and Nazis it could've been, oh, so much better.)

À Meia-Noite Levarei Sua Alma [At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul] (1963) -
(Coffin Joe is hands down one of the most nihilistic and evil characters in film history! I don't think I have ever seen a mind so twisted, commit terrible deeds like this. And it's a movie from 1963! That's only three years after Hitchcock's Psycho and the same year Herschell Gordon Lewis' funny-gore film Blood Feast was released. In spite of the latter, At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul is serious with showing violence and contains themes (most of them shown visually) such as rape, or burning a man alive). The acting is highly theatrical and that's probably why the movie is not as shocking as it could've been, if José Mojica Marins had decided to incorporate Italian Neorealism into Brazilian horror.)

Esta Noite Encarnarei No Teu Cadáver [This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse] (1967) -
(Oh my, Coffin Joe is back and he is as evil as before. Although the violence shown is not as shocking as in the first movie, he still likes to use venomous creatures like snakes, or big spiders and somehow got himself a hunchback sidekick! He plots against the whole village, while the village plots against him. Finally, it is shown that all people try to stand against his violent reign, while in the first installment it was only inviduals that he quickly got ridden of. Somehow, two ladies decide to help him in his plan he wants to realize since the first part. I'm not gonna say what it is, but he surely used his gravedigger clothes and 10 cm nails to seduce these dolls and make them love him!). A top notch hell sequence and ending made me give this four stars.)
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Fun on a Week-End (Andrew Stone, 1947)
+
The Talented Mr. Ripley (Anthony Minghella, 1999)
-
Mary and Martha (Philip Noyce, 2013)

Lili (Charles Walters, 1953)
+

Wide-eyed orphan Leslie Caron feels natural with the puppet show since they are real to her.
Grudge Match (Peter Siegel, 2013)

The Bad and the Beautiful (Vincente Minnelli, 1953)
+
Salmar, the Leaper (Douglas Sinclair, 1957)

Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner (Stanley Kramer, 1967)

Liberal newspaper owner Spencer Tracy and his wife Katharine Hepburn must make a quick decision about their daughter’s wedding to a black doctor.
The Skeleton Key (Iain Softley, 2005)

One Potato, Two Potato (Larry Peerce, 1964)
-
Basque Sports (Van Campen Heilner, 1957)
+
The Lion King (Roger Allers & Rob Minkoff, 1994)
-

Timon, Pumbaa and Simba choose “Hakuna Matata” ("No worries") as their life’s creed during Simba’s growth from child to man.
Gideon’s Army (Dawn Porter, 2013)

Baggage Claim (David E. Talbert, 2013)

American Loser aka Trainwreck: My Life as an Idiot (Tod Harrison Williams, 2007)

Die Hard (John McTiernan, 1988)

NYC cop visits his estranged wife in LA and gets caught up in a terrorist takeover of the skyscraper where she works.
Chef (Jon Favreau, 2014)

I Am Waiting (Koreyashi Kurahara, 1957)

The Other Woman (Nick Cassavetes, 2014)

Eyes Wide Shut (Stanley Kubrick. 1999)

Jealous husband Tom Cruise outsmarts himself at a secret costume party.

The Wiz (Sidney Lumet, 1978)

Life During Wartime (Todd Solondz, 2011)

Somers Town (Shane Meadows, 2011)

Into the Abyss (Werner Herzog, 2011)

Death row inmate Michael Perry prepares for his execution.
Cake (Daniel Barnz, 2014)

Kill the Messenger (Michael Cuesta, 2014)

Words and Music (Norman Taurog, 1948)
+
Interstellar (Christopher Nolan, 2014)

Things get hairy on a planet which could possibly be used as a new home for the human race.
Mikey and Nicky (Elaine May, 1976)

The Counselor (Ridley Scott, 2013)

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part I (Francis Lawrence, 2014)

Hondo (John Farrow, 1953)
-

John Wayne has to defend a woman and child from the Apaches and himself from her husband in this opus originally shot in 3D.
Belle (Amma Assante, 2014)
-
King’s Ransom (Jeffrey W. Byrd, 2005)

Get on Up (Tate Taylor, 2014)

The Boys Next Door (Penelope Spheeris, 1985)

High schoolers Maxwell Caulfield and Charlie Sheen are bored and go on a murderous rampage because, well, everybody’s doing it.
Lost in Yonkers (Martha Coolidge, 1993)

Biloxi Blues (Mike Nichols, 1988)

Seems Like Old Times (Jay Sandrich, 1980)

Xanadu (Robert Greenwald, 1980)

Muse Terpsichore (Olivia Newton-John), artist Michael Beck, and renaissance man Gene Kelly have no idea what they’ve gotten involved in.

Finishing the Game: In Search of a New Bruce Lee (Justin Lin, 2007)

Carry on Cabbie (Gerald Thomas, 1963)

The Bridges at Toko-Ri (Mark Robson, 1954)

Jane Eyre (Robert Stevenson, 1943)

Brooding Mr. Rochester (Orson Welles) and his governess Jane Eyre (Joan Fontaine) fall in love and hope that’s enough to overcome their problems.
Blowback (Mark L. Lester, 2000)

Ride Along (Tim Story, 2014)
+
300: Ride of an Empire (Noam Murro, 2014)

Her (Spike Jonze, 2013)

Joaquin Phoenix has a good outlet for his emotions in the near future – he makes his living writing other people’s personal letters and on his own time, he’s in love with his computer operating system (voice of Scarlett Johansson).
The Whole Ten Yards (Howard Deutch, 2004)

Make Your Move (Duane Adler, 2013)

A Flash of Green (Victor Nunez, 1984)

That Thing You Do! (Tom Hanks, 1996)

No, the popular band is not called the Wonders when it starts out.
Svengali (Archie Mayo, 1931)

The Secret of the Grain (Abdellatif Kechiche, 2007)

When in Rome (Mark Steven Johnson, 2010)

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (Jim Sharman, 1975)

Dr. Frank N. Furter (Tim Curry knows what’s up in his old dark house.)
Jess + Moss (Clay Jeter, 2012)

Gothika (Matthieu Kassovitz, 2003)
-
Susannah of the Mounties (William A. Seiter, 1939)

All About Ann: Governor Richards of the Lone Star State (Keith Patterson & Phillip Schopper, 2014)

Ann Richards was a funny, popular Democrat governor in Texas who ran afoul of the George W. Bush/Karl Rove political machine.

January, 2015 movies watched-48

It seems that I'm binge watching as I watched 22 movies in the first 5 days of the month, but haven't watched anything in a week, and went 4 days without watching anything last week.

Zulu (1964)
Decent historical epic

Wolf Children (2012)
Definitely a contender for my favorite animation

X-Men (2000)
Very fun and solid entertainment

Red Beard (1965)
Pure mastery from Kurosawa and Mifune

Becket (1964)
Not my kind of movie, but great performances from Burton and O'Toole

The Train (1964)
Burn Lancaster rescues priceless art from the Nazis

When the Wind Blows (1986)
Frightening subject matter makes this an above average animation

The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
Fun cheese with Vincent Price

X2: X-Men United (2003)
I liked the first one better, but this was still fun

Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988) Repeat viewing
Entertaining but a little silly

Viva Maria! (1965)
I didn't care for the second half, but I loved Bardot and Moreau

The Night Stalker (1972)
Fun made for TV detective story/horror

The Knack...and How to Get It (1965)
Pleasant British film, but very forgettable

May (2002) Repeat viewing
Quirky and well made independent horror

Pierrot Le Fou (1965)
More entertaining than I expected from Godard

The Wrong Trousers (1993)
Clever and a lot of fun

Rosemary's Baby (1968) Repeat Viewing
One of my all time favorite horrors

The Ipcress File (1965)
Solid Michael Caine movie, but nothing special to me

Possession (1981)
Intense and original

You're Next (2011) Repeat viewing
Just good fun

A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)
Creepy and scary Korean horror

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) Repeat viewing
Looks great and has two great performances from Newman and Redford

Suspiria (1977) Repeat viewing
Just an average horror for me

Calvaire (2004)
Belgian hillbilly horror that's more psychologically disturbing than violent

Jeepers Creepers (2001)
Ridiculous, but fun with a good ending

Alyce Kills (2011) Repeat viewing
Very well made horror that gets a little crazy

Major Dundee (1965)
Great cast with a very good first half, but downhill from there

Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) Repeat viewing
So well done with amazing atmosphere

American Mary (2012)
Very good independent horror with a nice performance from the lead actress

Subconcious Cruelty (2000)
Sick and disturbing extreme film

Twentynine Palms (2003)
Very slow moving until a shocking and memorable ending

Chimes at Midnight (1965)
Not my kind of humor or movie in general, but not bad

Wild Things (1998)
Very entertaining trashfest

Island of Death (1976)
Average exploitation flick

Cannibal (2006)
Sick and disturbing true story

For a Few Dollars More (1965) Repeat viewing
Up there with my favorite Westerns

Alphaville (1965)
Weird and hard to follow, yet fascinating

Barefoot in the Park (1967)
Above average rom-com thanks to Redford and Fonda

La Jetee (1962)
Haunting and effective

Sabotage (2014)
Overly macho with a touch of nasty

Machete Kills (2013)
Fun at times, but a big step down from the first one

Sherlock Jr. (1924)
My first Keaton was excellent, although I wasn't quite blown away

Boyhood (2014)
I've seen better and more entertaining movies, but none more special

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)
I'm probably overrating this a tad, but I was looking for fun, and it delivered big time

Audition (1999)
Slow, and it gets weird, but very well done and effective

The Babadook (2014)
This delivers what you look for in a movie like this

The Ring (2002) Repeat viewing
One of the better pure horror movies of the last 20 years

X-Men: Days of Futures Past (2014)
Plenty of fun with great performances from Fassbender, Lawrence, and Hackman. My 2nd favorite of the series

Best Man Holiday (Malcolm D. Lee, 2013)

Army of Crime (Robert Guediguion, 2009)

Black Nativity (Kasi Lemmons, 2013)

Punisher: War Zone (Lexi Alexander, 2008)

In this ultraviolent flick, Punisher (Ray Stevenson) decides the baddie doesn’t need his face anymore.
The New World (Kah-Wei Lim, 2011)
+
22 Jump Street (Phil Lord & Christopher Martin, 2014)

Mokey (Will Root, 1942)
+
Night Will Fall (Andre Singer, 2014)

When the Allies liberated the Nazi concentration camps, they filmed everything as proof so that the world would remember, and such directors as Alfred Hitchcock and Billy Wilder gave input on how the films should be shown to the public.
Catwoman (Pitof, 2004)
-
The Romance of Celluloid (No Director Listed, 1937)

Humpday (Lynn Shelton, 2009)

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Don Siegel, 1956)

A pod person of Dana Wynter, the girlfriend of doctor Kevin McCarthy, materializes through the bubbles.
Cyborg 2: Glass Shadow (Michael Schroeder, 1993)

Downhill Racer (Michael Ritchie, 1969)

Dark Days (Marc Singer, 2009)

Daybreakers (Spierig Bros., 2010)
-

In the near-future, humans have mostly been turned into vampires, while some are in hiding and some are hooked up to blood harvesters.
Crime Unlimited (Ralph Ince, 1935)

The Sand Pebbles (Robert Wise, 1966)

London at Midnight (William Thiele, 1937)

The Picture of Dorian Gray (Albert Lewin, 1945)

Young nobleman Dorian Gray (Hurd Hatfield) has his portrait done, and as he ages and lives a degenerate life, he never changes in appearance, but the painting grows more and more corrupt.

That rating for Invasion of the Body Snatchers seems too low to me Mark, I thought it would be a movie you would love too, at least half a popcorn more.

Also did you watch Downhill Racer as I mentioned it in Zotis' thread or is it just a coincidence? It was a long time ago since I saw it but I thought it was a very good little film, I want to watch it again. I didn't know until the other day that Ritchie directed it, he's got a few good films that I've seen and enjoyed.

Tarzan (Chris Buck and Kevin Lima, 1999)
+

Animal Farm (Joy Batchelor and John Halas, 1954)

The Plague Dogs (Martin Rosen, 1982)
+

Anastasia (Don Bluth and Gary Goldman, 1997)
-

Garden of Words (Makoto Shinkai, 2013)
-

The Imitation Game (Morten Tyldum, 2014):

Selma (Ava DuVernay, 2014):

Unbroken (Angelina Jolie, 2014):

American Sniper (Clint Eastwood, 2014):

Chef (Jon Favreau, 2014):

Predestination (The Spierig Brothers, 2014):

We Are The Best! (Lukas Moodysson, 2014):

Tangled (Nathan Greno & Byron Howard, 2010):

Rebro Adama (Vyacheslav Krishtofovich, 1990):

Bowery at Midnight (Wallace Fox, 1942)
-
3 Men and a Baby (Leonard Nimoy, 1987)
+
Breaking and Entering (Anthony Minghella, 2006)

The Time Machine (George Pal, 1960)

Thousands of centuries in the future, H.G. Wells (Rod Taylor) and docile young Eloi Yvette Mimieux listen to the talking rings give a history lesson.
The Unforeseen (Laura Dunn, 2007)

Home Run Showdown (Oz Scott, 2012)

Juan of the Dead (Alejandro Brugues, 2012)

The Birds (Alfred Hitchcock, 1963)

The birds make mincemeat out of Tippi Hedren.
Dreams of Dust (Laurent Salgues, 2006)

Sol Madrid (Brian G. Hutton, 1968)

Manito (Eric Eason, 2002)

Over the Hedge (Tim Johnson & Karey Kirkpatrick, 2006)

Any community of animals will have one genius step forward and show his stuff.
The Big Gundown (Sergio Sollima, 1966)

The Prisoner of Second Avenue (Melvin Frank, 1975)
-
The Alamo (John Wayne, 1960)
+
The Heartbreak Kid (Elaine May, 1972)

Jewish newlywed Charles Grodin learns that he made a huge mistake in his choice of a bride and spends most of his honeymoon pursuing blonde “princess” Cybill Shepherd whose father hates his guts.
The 5.000 Fingers of Dr. T (Roy Rowland, 1953)

Non-Stop (Jaume Collet-Serra, 2014)

Rumor Has It… (Rob Reiner, 2005)

Twice Upon a Time (John Korty & Charles Swenson, 1983)

Mumford and Ralph the all-purpose animal try to correct some of their mistakes by undoing the plan of villain Synonamess Botch to cause the good citizens of Frivoli constant nightmares, and along the way, they’re abetted by other wacko heroes.

Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights

Although the film isn't perfect- either as an adaptation or a film in its own right- it is one of the only adaptations that actually resembles the novel Emily Bronte wrote. The other one- unfortunately marred by dullness and an overenthusiasm for rainy weather- is the 2011 adaptation. All the other ones take the same approach, treating the source material as if it was a Charlotte Bronte novel. The tone of all three Bronte sisters (yep, don't forget Anne) is very different; Emily's style does not have the dainty decorum/beautiful gothic love story that other adaptions (most notably the 1939 adaptation with Laurence Olivier) insist on.

Many fans of the novel will protest that it's not a love story at all; rather a story of obsession and bitterness. Most films stop halfway through with the basic love story between rebellious Cathy (Juliette Binoche) and her adopted brother, the miserable Heathcliff (Ralph Fiennes), who leaves Wuthering Heights and then returns again, looking every inch the gentleman. Instead of marrying Heathcliff, Cathy made the mistake of marrying wussy Linton (Simon Sheperd).

However there is a second generation. I won't even bother trying to untangle the various relations of everyone- which is the whole point of the novel. It's a saga about one man's hate and bitterness, punishing the second generation when he can no longer punish his own. What may confuse people is that Juliette Binoche also plays Catherine, Cathy's daughter with Linton. Some people complained that it was just a matter of changing wigs and that in the book, Catherine doesn't particularly bear resemblance to her mother, but thematically it makes perfect sense that Heathcliff would see the mother in the daughter. There's a tension between Catherine and Heathcliff that is heightened by knowing that Catherine and Cathy are played by the same person.

As you can see, the image I've chosen is not of Heathcliff and Cathy but of Heathcliff and Isabella (Sophie Ward). Though this element of the story is dealt with too briefly- Isabella disappears off the face of the earth in the film!- it is exactly how it is in the book. Heathcliff destroys Isabella at the click of the finger and then chides her for being a slut, whilst Isabella rues her passion. It's not just because he doesn't love Isabella but loves Cathy; Heathcliff's transformation into a wealthy man makes him cruel.

Ironically, the presentation of the first generation is less successful as it trods old ground. Cathy and Heathcliff's passion for each other isn't raging enough, although they do portray the awkwardness of them being raised as brother and sister yet having romantic feelings for each other. Binoche's performance of Cathy involves random giggling whilst Fiennes as early Heathcliff lectures about nature and has a cringily awful accent. He encounters the same problem that Olivier did; neither are convincing as rough orphaned Heathcliff.

However Binoche is a lot better at the more demure victimised Catherine- though maybe that's just because there's never been as much focus on Catherine before. Fiennes is much more comfortable (and more seductive) as evil posh Heathcliff and does an excellent job at switching from frustrated lover to creepy master. When he talks about looking after all of his 'children', his voice drips with a sinister sarcasm. This was Fiennes' first film and all that evilness turned out to be good prep for Schindler's List.

Though the average viewer may be bamboozled, readers of the novel will no doubt be intrigued to watch an adaptation that reflects the novel's nature. The reason for the title was because MGM had bought the rights to use the title 'Wuthering Heights', yet watching the film, this adaptation's title is apt.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

The Time Machine (George Pal, 1960)

Thousands of centuries in the future, H.G. Wells (Rod Taylor) and docile young Eloi Yvette Mimieux listen to the talking rings give a history lesson.

The Birds (Alfred Hitchcock, 1963)

The birds make mincemeat out of Tippi Hedren.

I noticed that you watched The Time Machine and The Birds, so I assume that you were watching TCM's tribute to Rod Taylor a few days ago. Did you also watch Young Cassidy (1965) with Rod Taylor? If so, what did you think of it?