What's the Scariest movie you've ever seen?

Tools    

There is one shot that is THE GROSSEST shot in the history of film. But its like 2 seconds of a 4 hour film. So its cool. I have the sequel, too. It was never released theatrically anywhere. Its just as good as the first part.

Now With Moveable Parts
patti-I love you...never heard of the Quay Brothers...I'll have to check them out.You thought the dark haired Maji warrior in the Mummy Returns was hot too?! So did I girl,so did I...*double sigh*

sades - hey, i'm honored; you've been entertaining me the last few days with your wit, brains and energy via your comments. i'm new here, but i'm having a grand ol' time. speaking of dark haired beauties, were you impressed with the dude who has a passionate afternoon with Juliette Binoche (in the bombed out church?) in The English Patient? it's about the only thing i liked about the movie, but he had me hummin'.
And on the sujet of the Quay brothers...i think you'll really love their work...let me know.

Sultan, i have the two tapes of The Kingdom sitting here next to me..."like ER on acid"? says the movie jacket. i have a feeling this one is going to get under my skin.

Now With Moveable Parts
hummin'...I like that...LOL...like spin cycle hummin'kinda like Johnny Depp in Chocolate...h-u-m-m-i-n-'...I didn't see the English Patient...instinct told me I wouldn't like it...man that chick gets all the good sex scene partners!Thanks for all the ego strokes too...I needed that.

You're gonna love it. All the reviews I watched were like "you cant watch it all in one sitting." Me and my friends watched the whole thing and immediatley went online to get the sequel. By the way, Lars Von Trier was going to make a third Kingdom part but Ernst-Hugo Jaregard and the woman who plays Drusse died immediatley following the second one.

SULTAN!! i rented and watched THE KINGDOM and loved it. i watched it over three nights. i enjoyed it so much i would still be watching an hour plus of it nightly if it was long enough. it's got that soap opera/serial feeling and i got sucked in. ...very cool, and funny, and creepy and odd. i really started liking some of (most) the characters ....i got a real kick out of the swiss neuro-surgeon and the old lady ghosthunter. throughout the entire movie i felt as if it could get REALLY SCARY but it stayed mild....yet i felt the anticipation/nervousness of something about to happen. i send you my thanks and would love to hear more about the second Kingdom.....

gotta' add THE THING as a good scare..Carpenter's remake, ofcourse.

The Kingdom 2 is funnier, Bondo goes completely nuts, Helmer starts examining his own stools to see if they float, what's-her-name ends up having a "big baby", it goes nutso.
It's as entertaining but not quite as sweet (by sweet I mean cool, or "sick" for you west-coasters, "rad" for the eighties, or whatever...)

I'm resurrecting this thread (how appropriate).

Anyhoo, Night of the Living Dead is probably, for its time, one of the scariest movies ever. I, unfortunately, hadn't seen it until I'd already been exposed to today's more graphic horror films, but even as recently as a year ago, George Romero's classic managed to freeze me in place throughout...partly through entertainment and partly through mild terror.

It's certainly a "duh" choice, but an undeniable one.

I believe what was in the t-shirt in The Blair Witch, was Joshs' upper gum line w/teeth, there was some hair attached to it. Like part of his face was removed. Not only is this the only movie besides MuHolland Dr. than can still give me goosey creeps in the middle of the night, but it is also on my top 5 favorites list. IT'S A CLASSIC!

Firebreathing Marmot
Snow Dogs is the scariest movie I've ever seen.

What? Look at them! Dogs! Dogs that are smarter than a qualified dentist! Who went to university!

JUST LOOK AT THEM FOR CHRISTS SAKE!

I've got a splitting headache
Nightmare of Elm Street (all except part 2)
The Exorcist
X-Tro
Tourist Trap
The Shining
Salem's Lot
Gates of Hell
Dawn of the Dead
Poltergeist
Trilogy of Terror
Ghost Story
Night Watch
The Mothman Prophecies
What Lies Beneath
The Gift
and the one that scarred me for life with gore and such is
Carpenter's The Thing

Enemies are so stimulating.
well i dont normally watch scary films because i am such a big wimp and have an amazingly child like mind and normally lay awake all night scared that the big monsters will get me if i fall asleep. (this is only after ive watched a scary film)

however,

i did watch what lies beneath, i dont think i realised how scary it actually was...or i was feeling brave. but im scared to watch that film again because it affected me so bad lol...i just was scared to look in mirrors just incase something appeared behind me. which as you can imagine makes driving difficult.

i also saw blare witch project which scared the crap out of me and im never gonna go camping in a tent in the middle of the woods ever ever!

and the other day i watched the shining...i found it moderatly scary. its the type of film that scares you while your watching it coz its just so freaky but then doesnt really stay with you all night...thank god.

the exorsist. quite frankly i dont know what all the fuss is about with this one. i think its a wicked film and it didnt scare me one bit...which was actually really suprising and one hell of a relief. im not sure if it had anythng to do with the fact that i used to watch repossed a lot when i was a kid. the exorsist just kept making me laugh.

now i must leave coz something even scarier and more life threatening has just happened. my dog has let off an eggy smelling fart....if i dont return its because im dead.

Originally posted by Yoda
I agree. The first Scream movie scared the crap out of me.
nancy

i havent been scared by a movie for years but i did watch 'long time dead' the other night and was satisfyingly scared.

the fact that it was set in britain starring british actors seemed to make it seem more real to me as i live in britain.

anyone else seen it ??

Even though I'm not a huge fan af Psycho, I have to name it as one of the scariest. I was a baby when this came out, but my Father told me recently about what it was like seeing it in the theater. First run, that is. Back then this was a ground breaker. For one, gratuitous violence wasn't main stream like it is today. The Janet Leigh scene was a new way of filming murder, her death was unlike any other filmed before. Another big thing back then was that Leigh was a huge star, people weren't expecting her to "bite it" early in the film. All the more shocking, I assume, in Hitchcocks mind. It affected people. It made their skin crawl. Today, of course it's wildly tame, with movies like Natural Born Killers, Kalifornia, etc. But 50 years from now, would we want our grandchildren to scoff at movies of our time, because they've been desensitized even more than we are today? I mean, people still recognize Elvis as being one of the greatest challengers of main stream music, even though swinging hips aren't even noticed anymore. Lets remember what the older movies meant to people back in their day, and not compare them with the films of today.

BTW, my Aunt saw The Exorcist first run, and she almost sicked up on the fellow in front of her
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Enemies are so stimulating.
yeah when we went to see the exorcist my friend was absolutly terrified and there was someone over the other side of the cinema being sick.

i love psycho! hitchcock is the best.

and i agree with you about the whole our children will be more desensitised than us. its scary to think that in 50 years time they could be showing things on tv that have been banned now and not even blinking at it. children are going to be harder to shock and it will be easier to take rapists, murderers etc as one of those things that happen. Already i can feel myself looking at tv, seeing a mass murder being reported and saying 'oh thats awful' but not being completely shocked at the world.

well what can i say? i bet "the Ring" which is going to show in the theatre in the near future will be the most horrible movie ever since the exorcist.

im not sure if Hollywood can make it as horrible as that Japanese people do. but as u know, "the Ring" is originally from Japan. and when this movie was Shown in the cinema in Japan, there was somebody frighten dead right at his seat!!!

lots of my friends watched this movie and after that, they didn't dare to answer the phone or look at the TV screen for months! U will see.

A novel adaptation.
Oh, good lord the Ring looks scary. I can't wait, hopefully it will be as good as the japanese release.

Silence of the Lambs .... maybe not a true horror genre, but I remember locking my doors after getting home from the theater.

Candyman .... not a very big movie, but you might think twice before turning out the lights at night after seeing it.

Nightmare on Elm Street .... I saw this when it first came out in theaters and thought it was great. All the sequels have kind of watered the the overall effect.

Night of the Living Dead.... down right scary