Best/Worst Fantasy Films

Tools    

It rocks. One of my students wrote an extra-credit paper comparing Ghost in the Shell to Blade Runner... and he burned me a copy of each movie and turned them in with his paper.

Needless to say, that kid got an A.

Now With Moveable Parts
Nuthin' like knowing the right way to get an A!

Bribes, flattery... I'll take 'em all. If Harvey Keitel's the Bad Lieutenant, I'm the Bad Instructor.

In best overly-dramatic menacing voice:

This summer, Mary Loquacious is... The Bad Instructor. Coming soon to a classroom near you.

Now With Moveable Parts
Yipes! Yippie-Yipes!

That movie was BAAAAAAAAAAAAD. Naughty.

Originally posted by Mary Loquacious
I dunno... Waterworld and the Postman? Those are post-apocalyptic, sure, but not cyberpunk. There's no real "technology" in either one of those movies.

And technically speaking, so to speak , "cyberpunk" as a genre almost always requires a sort of melding of technology with society/culture/humanity.
exaclty i didnt say that post-apocalyptic and cyberpunk were the same thing. Tank Girl, post-apocalyptic.

I have never read any Gibson, but im gonna read a book called snow crash by Neal Stephonson soon, its cyber punk
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

I have never read any Gibson, but im gonna read a book called snow crash by Neal Stephonson soon, its cyber punk
I've heard great things about that book, but haven't read it yet. And you should check out Gibson's Neuromancer. It's classic.

Command Line - Neal Stephenson
Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson
Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson
Cyberpunk - Bruce Bethke
Neuromancer - W.G.
Johnny Mnemonic - W.G.
Mona Lisa Overdrive - W.G.
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - Phillip K. Dick
The Minority Report - P.K.D.

Yawn. Now I'd like to know what M-Lo teaches.

Jason. That icon is horrendous. If you're going to try to do the Durden thing, at least get a decent picture, please. You're gonna put somebody's eye out with that thing.

Yawn. Now I'd like to know what M-Lo teaches.
M-Lo... The newest cross-over sensation. Lopez better watch her back.

What I teach... well, it's laid out in excruciating detail on the What Do You Do For a Living thread.

Hey, wow....a graduate student. I'm very impressed. That may very well be the next phase of my college edjookashun.

And, teaching? Teaching english? For a living? Crickey. You've got bigger stones than I, for sure.

So is Reign of Fire cyberpunk or not then? I'm pretty sure its post-apocalyptic because most of humanity has been wiped out and that's about all the criteria you need to fall into that category.

I'd say post-apocalyptic.

Yes, but is it cyberpunk as well? - they do after all seem to have a bunch of salvaged punk style weaponry judging from the images.

Yes, but from the previews, it looks like society's technology, otherwise, has been pretty much decimated. Weaponry alone does not indicate a cyberpunk environment, and neither does a futuristic setting. It looks like ROF has these but not other criteria of cyberpunk. But this is all speculation, 'cause the movie's not even out yet. I don't know much about it other than what I know from the trailers.

A good rule of thumb: most cyberpunk stuff made since the late Eighties will feature a version of the Internet, and most will feature computers in some way. Most will also have a very slick, uber-modern look, as well. ROF looks like the 20th century after a helluva lot of fire damage.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Best fantasy films:

Star Wars Trilogy
Harry Potter
Princess Mononoke
Highlander
the Hobbit
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Worst fantasy films:
(These are a mixture of fantasy and crap. I call them FANTACRAP!)

Legend
Willow
Labyrinth
the Beast Master
The Magic Sword
Warrior of the Lost World
the Cave Dwellers
Lord of the Rings (The Cartoon! this hurts, cause I am such a Ralph Bakshi fan....)

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I think in a lot of people minds that the matrix and star wars are the best fantasy films

Now With Moveable Parts
Those are Sci-Fi films, in my opinion.

well there both

Of course LotR is up there, but I also like Excalibur alot. I know it's old, but it is a classic IMO.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Beware the Moon
It is a huge genre really and classic s such as Jason & The Argonauts, Clash of The Titans and even some of the Sinbad movies should be high on any "best of" lists even if it is purely for helping shape the genre.

All hail the pioneer of creature effects...........Ray Harryhausen

Fighting out of the Lions Den
Fav`s
Conan the Barbarian
Jason & the Argonauts
The Princess Bride
7th Voyage of Sinbad
The Goonies

Hates
Red Sonja
That Ewok film
Neverending Story