Stars Who Hated Each Other On-Set

Tools    

Lily Tomlin and director David O. Russell on the set of I Heart Huckabees were at each others throats. here's some entertaining footage of said drama.

&feature=youtube_gdata_player

EDIT: did i do that right?
i'm on my phone. =/
Hot damn. Russell deserved to get his ass kicked for that one.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Greta Garbo and Fredric March on the set of Anna Karenina. She wanted John Gilbert, but Louis B. Mayer hated him* and refused to hire him. Apparently she'd eat a whole clove of garlic before their love scenes.

*At a party, Gilbert punched him in a bathroom, after Mayer called him an idiot about his impending marriage to Garbo (which didn't happen) and said "You don't buy the cow when you're getting the milk for free." After this Mayer set out to ruin Gilbert's career.

Alec Guinness and Star Wars.

Vivian Vance and William Fawley who played the Mertzs on the long-running I Love Lucy dispised each other. But Vance and Ball became good friends and Fawley and Arnez were buddies, although Arnez told Fawley--a boozer--early on that if he ever showed up on the set drunk he would be fired.

Although successful on the screen together, Mae West and W.C. Fields couldn't stand each other. In a scene in My Little Chickadee, they're supposedly sitting in a railway car facing each other--the camera cuts to Fields for his lines and then to West for her lines: actually they weren't even on the same set together, each having filmed their parts separately and then were edited to appear they were talking.

Marlon Brando did the same thing with Dennis Hopper in Appocalypse Now--wouldn't let Hopper on the set in a scene where the two characters were supposed to be talking to each other. They had to shoot the two separately and then edit it together.

W.C. Fields took his work very seriously and was extremely touchy about anyone interfering with him while he was working. He and comedian Ed Wynn both were employed at one time in the Ziegfield Follies. One night while Fields was doing his famous bit about playing billards, Wynn came out on stage behind him and started mugging. Fields noticed that the audience was laughing at the wrong times, looks behind him, sees Wynn, and breaks a pool cue over Wynn's head knocking him unconcious on the stage. Fields then proceeded with his act, and no one dared go out and get Wynn until after Fields finished his act. As I recall, Wynn was badly injured and had to be taken to the hospital.

Someone already mentioned that Bette Davis didn't think Errol Flynn was a real actor. There's a scene in one film about Queen Elizabeth and Essex, with the two playing the respective leading roles in which Davis slaps Flynn and, whether on purpose or accidentally, she really wollops him. If you ever see that scene, watch Flynn's reaction--that's real hate in his eyes and he tenses up like he'd really like to pop her back. I understand that years later after Flynn's death, Davis was watching that film and commented, "You know, he really wasn't a bad actor after all."

Terry Thomas hated the American comics in It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, probably Milton Berle the most as most of his scenes were with him.
Lots of people hated Berle, including folks who didn't even work with him. When they were shutting down the famous Shamrock Hotel here in Houston years ago, there were lots of stories in the newspapers and on TV about the celebrities and famous events there (the hotel's grand opening was recreated in Jett Rink's make-believe hotel in the film Giant.) Anyway, I remember an article in which they interviewed this elderly black man who had worked as a waiter for years in the hotels big showroom, and he was talking about all the great performers he had seen and what they were like. And he said at the time that Berle was the only one who was just plain rude and mean to all the staff, plus his language apparently would have made a streetwalker blush.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Humphrey Bogart and William Holden could barely stand each other on the set of Sabrina (1954), so when you see their scenes together as brothers, I'd say that's some fine acting. Bogart also didn't think much of Audrey Hepburn. Some of this was apparently due to the fact that Bogie wanted his wife Lauren Bacall to play Sabrina, and then Holden and Hepburn fell in love on the set.

Off-screen feuds include Tom Neal beating up Franchot Tone over Barbara Payton.
There was an old Western Swing musician named Spade Cooley who was a successful band leader and competitor of Bob Wills. Cooley worked primarily California and also worked at one time as a stand-in for Roy Rogers in his Westerns since they did very much resemble each other. Well, Rogers' success as a Saturday matinee cowboy star and Cooley's inability to break into movies (as the more famous Wills and his band had done) really started to prey on his mind to the point that he was accusing his wife of having affairs with Rogers. He finally flipped out one night and beat and kicked his wife to death in front of their young daughter.

There was a character actor named Paul Kelly who used to turn up in films like John Wayne's Flying Tigers or as gangster opponents of Cagney and Bogart. He also had a bad jealous streak and beat to death some guy in Hollywood over some woman (maybe Kelly's wife). Don't recall the dead guy's name or if he also was an actor, but anyway Kelly did some years in prison before coming back and working in the movies again.

. . . apparently due to the fact that Bogie wanted his wife Lauren Bacall to play Sabrina, and then Holden and Hepburn fell in love on the set.
Yeah, nothing will ruin a film job quicker than your two co-stars getting it on while you're taking cold showers! Reminds me of that old joke about the difference between a slut and a bitch.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Mel Brooks and Zero Mostel didn't get along during The Producers
Mel Brooks was terrified by Zero Mostel, and often sent others (including Gene Wilder) to ask him to do another take when necessary.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Marilyn Monroe and Tony Curtis didn't get along well either. I can't remember the exact analogy but Curtis said that kissing Monroe was like kissing (insert random non-good thing here).

Semper Fooey
...Hitler.

Going back some, Ben Turpin, (the anti-Marty Feldman, crossed-eye instead of cock-eyed) who appered in a couple Charlie Chaplin shorts, didn't like Chaplin.

One joke, one slut, or one bitch?
None of the above. One reminder.

Semper Fooey
Although Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff made a number of movies together they were definitely not friends. Lugosi resented Karloff became a bigger star and hated the tea breaks he was forced to participate in during the filming of their movies (a lot of British stars insisted tea being served on the set). Karloff in interviews always talked sneeringly about Lugosi. There are contradictory reports about what happened during Black Friday. Originally they had co-starring roles, Lugosi playing the scientist, Karloff the Professor Lugosi experimented on. Either Karloff after seeing the rushes insisted on taking Lugosi's part (he was struggling with an American accent in his dual role) because Lugosi was giving a better performance, or the producers bumped him into the Lugosi part because of the inadequate performance. Lugosi with his thick Hungarian accent couldn't do the Karloff role so he was delegated to a minor role playing a gangster that he was not right for and Stanley Ridges, also British but much better doing an American accent, played the Professor.

Andrew Shim and Ben Marshall, the two lads from A Room For Romeo Brass didn't get all according to Paddy Considine. Apparently they were fighting in every scene they took. But then, I think they were about 15/16 so you sort of expect that from kids.

Guys & Dolls

Frank Sinatra and Marlon Brando disliked each other during the shooting of Guys & Dolls - mostly stemming from Sinatra resenting that the non-singing Brando got the lead role he coveted - and continued to speak ill of each other for the rest of their lives.

Here's a bit more information on the feud between these two "Guys":

Sinatra was actually signed to do "On the Waterfront" after Brando initially turned it down. When he changed his mind Sinatra was expensively dumped (leading to him filing a lawsuit for breach of contract against producer Sam Spiegal). Sinatra blamed Brando for this and publicly told him so. During "Guys and Dolls', Brando got his revenge by taking umpteen takes for his scenes with 'one take' Sinatra. A prime example of this is where 'Sky' & 'Nathan' first meet and 'Nathan' has to eat a piece of cheesecake. Brando, knowing how much Sinatra hated cheesecake, purposely flunked take after take. The following day, however, the scene was shot in just a single take!

Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze didn't get along while filming Dirty Dancing, also Cagney and Lacey didn't see eye to eye during filming.

Richard Dreyfuss and Bill Murray had a clash of egos on the set of What About Bob?.

Seems fitting, though. Both are arrogant in real life, so not exactly a shock. Still though, I'd love to be a fly on the wall for some of the shoot.