10 Best Movies Of The Last 10 Years

Tools    

1996 - Trainspotting
1997 - Austin Power's (had to go for the comedy element)
1998 - American History X (I'm also going to mention Apt Pupil)
1999 - The Sixth Sense (mention for American Beauty)
2000 - Snatch
2001 - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Mention for From Hell)
2002 - Resident Evil (Mention for Ice Age)
2003 - Lost in Translation (Mention for The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen)
2004 - The Machinist (Mention for Napoleon Dynamite)
2005 - Crash
2006 - Pierrepoint (Mention for Disney's Car's)

Limbo
eXistenZ
Monsters, Inc.
The Eel
No Such Thing
The Thin Red Line
Art School Confidential
Blair Witch Project
The Ninth Gate

Bully
The Rock
The Fifth Element
Fight Club
Rat Race
Dark City
Sin City
Saw
Starship Troopers
Finding Nemo

1. Der Untergang (Downfall) - 2004
2. Se7en - 1995
3. Gladiator - 2000
4. Heat - 1995
5. American History X - 1998
6. Million Dollar Baby - 2004
7. Gangs of New York - 2002
8. Cold mountain - 2003
9. The Talented Mr. Riplay - 1999
10.Saving Private Ryan - 1998
and bonus
11. The Departed - 2006

The Fabulous Sausage Man
1996 - Fargo
1997 - Lost Highway
1998 - The Thin Red Line
1999 - Magnolia
2000 - Amores Perros
2001 - Mulholland Dr.
2002 - City Of God
2003 - OldBoy
2004 - Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
2005 - The New World

2002 was a tough one - that was the year of Spider, Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance, A Snake Of June, Punch-Drunk Love and...Austin Powers in Goldmember!

10. The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants-2005
9. Million Dollar Baby-2004
8. The Notebook-2004
7. Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Mans Chest-2006
6. Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban-2004
5. The Chronicles Of Narnia:The Lion,The Witch, And The Warbrobe-2005
4. Pirates Of The Caribbean:The Curse Of The Black Pearl-2003
3. Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone-2001
2. Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets-2002
1. Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire-2005

Do you know my poetry?
Dogville (Directed by Lars Von Triers - 2003)

The Thin Red Line (Directed by Terrence Malick - 1998)

Hotel Rwanda (Directed by Terry George - 2004)

Rushmore (Directed by Wes Anderson - 1998)

Manderlay (Directed by Lars Von Triers - 2006)

Letter From Iwo Jima (Directed by Clint Eastwood - 2006)

Punch-Drunk Love (Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson - 2002)

The Royal Tenenbaums (Directed by Wes Anderson - 2001)

City of God (Directed by Fernando Meirelles - 2003)

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (Directed by Jim Jarmusch - 1999)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
97: Open Your Eyes
98: Show Me Love
99: The Matrix
00: Quills
01: Moulin Rouge
02: City of God
03: Lost in Translation
04: Shaun of the Dead
05: Sin City
06: Pan’s Labyrinth

Movie Forums Extra
1. American History X
2. Day After Tommorow
3. Fight Club
4. Jay&Silent Bob
5. Borat
6. Gladiator
7. Troy
8. Titanic
9. Transporter
10. Saving Private Rayan

Dancer in the Dark (2000 - Lars von Trier)
Eyes Wide Shut (1999 - Stanley Kubrick)
Rushmore (1998 - Wes Anderson)
Dogville (2003 - Lars von Trier)
The Thin Red Line (1998 - Terrence Malick)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004 - Michel Gondry)
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (2005 - Tommy Lee Jones)
Adaptation (2002 - Spike Jonze)
Hamlet (1996 - Kenneth Branagh)
Talk to Her (2002 - Pedro Almodóvar )

No offense Holden, but I expected a better list coming from you. And I'm not trying to be an ******* either. I was just surprised.

No offense Holden, but I expected a better list coming from you. And I'm not trying to be an ******* either. I was just surprised.

Better than what? Better than ten movies I love and that if you bother to do a search for you'll find my praise and/or reviews for thoughout the forum?

Golly. I am so very sorry I disappointed you. Please, do tell me what masterpieces I've insulted your great cinematic taste by omitting? Like in, where's your list?

I'm sure I'll be quite happy to change my opinion to mirror yours once I find what it is I'm supposed to have liked.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

1st off, I was simply surprised by your list, nothing more nothing less. From the movies I have seen you praise on various threads, I was surprised to see you chose those films for your list, based on the type of movies that you have listed in other threads as being your favorite/good. What I said was only based on preference and appeal. If my using "better list" offended you, oh dear, I am so very sorry.

Secondly,

Why lash back at me saying what you said? Did you simply use it as an outlet for some of your annoying and pretentious sarcasm? If you can't be mature enough to just ask me what I meant by that, without taking offense, then get the hell off the forums, or just ignore my post. I'm not trying to get you to change your picks to favor my tastes, nor am I offending your list at all. Excuse me for using the term "better list". I did not think those 2 words could drive a mature guy to respond in the way you did. I would have been fine if you simply asked me "What do you mean by that?" which I'm sure was your underlying message...buried under all that pointless, pretentious, and immature bullshit.

A system of cells interlinked
Someone mentioned Braveheart, which was 12 years ago. Pull it! Someone mentioned Se7en, as well. Also 12 years ago... Get with it!

I have changed my 2004 and 2006 picks...

I KNOW you were all wondering...

Someone mentioned Pulp Fiction. That came out in 1994. So that doesn't fit here.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

Buffalo '66

Waiting for Guffman

Mulholland Drive

Big Fish

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Trainspotting

City of God

Audition

Donnie Darko

You have been Juged!!!!
I am glad to see other's that enjoy Mr. Vengeance better than oldboy.

My list in no order.
Punch-Drunk Love, Almost Famous, Adaptation, Donnie Darko, The Big Labowski, The Royal Tenenbaums, Fight Club, Lady in the Water, Pi, and The Man Who Wasn't There.

I would also like to think the ones that almost made the list.
Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind, Bad Santa, Amelie, Brick, The Devils Rejects and Death to Smootchy.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Yeah. Where's your list and at what number is Superman Returns sitting?

In no order.

Dark Days (2000)
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004)
American History X (1998)
City Of God (2002)
Dark City (1998)
Cube (1997)
The Truman Show (1998)
Memento (2000)
The Big Lebowski (1998)
Children of Men (2006)

Honourable Mention: Superman Returns

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
By year...

1998: The Big Lebowski (Coens)

1999: Fight Club (Fincher)

2000: Battle Royale (Fukusaku)

2001: Waking Life (Linklater)

2002: City of God (Meirelles)

2003: Oldboy (Park)

2004: Team America: World Police (Parker)

2005: Sin City (Rodriguez/Miller/Tarantino)

2006: Clerks II (Smith)

2007: No Country for Old Men (Coens)

Armageddon '98
The Sixth Sense '99
Gladiator '00
Enemy At the Gates '01
Gangs of New York '02
The Last Samurai '03
Million Dollar Baby '04
Sin City '05
Apocalypto '06
300 '07

What are they? Since 1996, what would you say are the 10 best movies?
I've got more than 10 favorites for the last 10 years but pretty well listed the ones I liked best first under each year. as follows:

Shakespeare in Love—it was fresh, it was funny, it featured Judi Dench and Colin Firth, it had great and historically accurate costumes, it was romantic, and there wasn’t a car chase in it.
Waking Ned Devine—offbeat, great cast

The Green Mile—offbeat story, great cast
Mystery, Alaska—funny, great cast, great scenery, Burt Reynolds proves to be a fine character actor, much better than when he starred in so many stupid films.

Bridget Jones’s Diary—Renee Zellweger, Colin Firth, humorous and romantic.
My Dog Skip—good movie, great Americana.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding—fresh and funny story, Nia Vardalos wrote and starred in it, making it something of a female Rocky but with less sweat and bruising. And it’s always good to see Lainie Kazan.
Winged Migration—beautiful birds, interesting documentary, amazing photography.
Gosford Park—Great cast, great soundtrack, and the mystery worked for me.
Lord of the Rings—good cast, good adventure story, great special effects.

Chicago—A musical remake of Roxie Heart; good tunes, Renee Zellweger, sexy Catherine Zeta-Jones and Queen Latifa; established John C. Reilly as a star; and one of only 2 films I ever saw in which Richard Gere was actually good (the other was Shall We Dance? Turns out he really was a dancer all along!)
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.

Calendar Girls-- Helen Mirren stars, and that’s always good. A really great story about older women who actually were pretty cute in the buff! The line about the women, like flowers, having a last burst of beauty, “and then they go to seed” is worth the price of admission alone. Great offbeat story told with style.
Big Fish—Again, an offbeat story served up with humor and style. And you can never go wrong with Albert Finney.
Seabiscuit—a good tale about one of the greatest racehorses who ever ran. Good cast; good to see Jeff Bridges in a quality film again.
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl: The first and best of this series. Johnny Depp is probably the best young actor around today, and it’s always a pleasure to see Jonathan Pryce and Geoffrey Rush.

Ray—I never cared for Jamie Foxx until I saw his great impersonation of Ray Charles in Ray. It was a great movie told with a great amount of honesty (although they never did come up with the full number of Charles’s mistresses and children). But even if the film had been a flop, you could just close your eyes and groove on all that wonderful music.
Beyond the Sea—I’ve always like Kevin Spacey, a very versatile actor, still I was surprised at how well he captured Bobby Darin in this film—both the appearance and the sound. And I really like the way the older Darin talked to the child Darin as they switched to an earlier period in his life. A really good film that deserved a bigger box office than it got.
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason—What can I say? Zellweger and Firth—I like the combination.

Cinderella Man—OK, this time it’s Zellweger and Russell Crowe in what I think is his best picture. Jim Braddock was to boxing what Seabiscuit was to racing during the Great Depression, heroes for the Little Man, the down-and-outers standing in the breadlines. The film trashed Max Baer’s character—he really wasn’t the jerk it depicted. But Braddock was every bit the come-from-behind guy that they pictured him. A very good movie in an otherwise pretty empty year filmwise.

The Last King of Scotland—This really was the best picture for that year, and it was Forest Whitaker’s victory all of the way! What a performance! What an impersonation of one of the worst human monsters ever to walk the earth!
The Queen-- Helen Mirren at her best! And with a great supporting cast including James Cromwell as Prince Phillip and Sylvia Syms as the Queen Mother. But then I always favored the queen’s side of the story over Princess Di.
Nanny McPhee—My wife and I didn’t have any of the grandkids with us when we went to this movie. We just wanted to enjoy one of the world’s greatest actresses, Emma Thompson, on screen. Great cast, Firth again, with Derek Jacobi and Angela Landsbury. I’m looking forward to Thompson getting more of the McPhee books on screen.

Again, not a very good year for movies. There was only one release I enjoyed and recommend to friends: Amazing Grace. One of the greatest songs and most amazing story ever recorded, John Newton (played by Albert Finney) and William Wilberforce (played by Ioan Gruffudd) were two very unusual men who worked together and with others to outlaw the international slave trade. They were both heroes who are largely unknown today, and Amazing Grace caught their spirit at its most inspiring.