Do You Go Anyway? Why?

Tools    

My life isn't written very well.
We've all done it: we're sitting in the theater after the last frame of film fades out. The credits are rolling and we think to ourselves, among the murmur of people filing out to our left and right, "That was the worst movie I've seen in a long time!"

The next day a friend of ours says he's excited about going to see that same movie, and asks what we think about it. What do you say to him/her?
Also, that same person after having seen the awful film calls you up and says he/she loved it! Does your opinion of them drop from that point?

Do we actively pick friends that share our movie interests because we think they're on the same level of intellect as we are?

On another note, a love interest anxiously awaits his/her visit to the theater with you. Unfortunately the movie he/she wants to see is of no interest to you. Do you go anyway? Why?

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

In my case, the only time I ever went to a movie I wasn't really excited about seeing because someone else wanted to, was Pearl Harbour, which I say with a girl because I wanted to get down her pants. It never happened. Never again shall I be lead!

My friends have a relatively wide array of tastes when it comes to film [and just as wide an array of intellects] and I know that I am always trying to get them into more obscure films that their mainstream mentality may not have thought to pick up at any point. The other night I made a friend watch Casablanca and Chinatown, neither of which he would have seen otherwise, just because they were older films [and I know, I know; not even that obscure]. So my opinion of a friend hardly ever drops when they dislike a movie that I did [or vice versa].

But I have no problem with being honest in regards to films that people ask me to see with them either. A friend asked me today if I wanted to Analyze That and I told him, quite frankly, that I was avoiding it like the plague for a number of reasons.

I love watching movies with my friends. And we all get to choose what we watch at some point or another, so it is fair, and everybody is happy at some point or another. And that is the way to be.

Big group hug!

I usually just deal with it. There are some movies I like that a lot of people hate, so it all evens out.

One night a few years back, my ex and some friends went with me to pick out some videos. Everyone got to pick one that they wanted to see, my choice was Clerks.

I watched theirs, I wasn't happy about most of em, but it was finally my turn. Part of the way through my pic...the party ended. Same thing happened with Eraserhead, go figure.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

God, why would you stress yourself over with questions like this about the movies? Do we actively pick friends that share the same movie interests because we think they're on the same level of intellect as we? Do we or do we NOT see a movie?!

This sounds like a movie disorder. Don't see a movie - see a doctor.

He's a freelance journalist. He asks why. It is his job [and his signature].

And he gets some half decent conversation going around here. So leave him be.

i'd have to say no....my opinion of them has not dropped
it is THEIR opinion after all that counts to them and mine to me
what they think has absolutely no effect on my life what-so-ever
....in most cases
one of my friends though said he didn't like the Matrix because he couldn't understand it
i mean WTF!!!
the matrix is arguably the best action movie ever made and he DIDN"T UNDERSTAND IT!!!
ARRRRRGGGGGGG

that feels better
thanks for listening to my obsessive complaints
have a good day

A took a girl I had been dating for a couple months to see A Fish Called Wanda (aaaah, to be eighteen again). Not only didn't she think it was at all funny overall, which would have been bad enough, she chastized me for specifically roaring with laughter at Palin's unsuccessful attempts to bump-off the old lady resulting in many a dead pooch. Guess what: that relationship didn't last much longer.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

If a friend of mine asks me about a movie I didn’t like I normally tell them I didn’t think it was the greatest but they might like it and to let me know what they think after they see it…

And no, my opinion of them doesn’t drop if they liked it and I didn’t… Sometimes I wonder what my friends think of me though because I have disliked a lot of the major box office hits that they loved…. And this is not directed toward my friends but I often wonder if people really like some of these movies that much or are just get caught up in the hype… Titanic is a perfect example of what I mean… it was okay but I was extremely glad when it was over and I think I might have been the only dry eye in the place…

No, I don’t pick friends who share my movie interests… movies mean different things for different people so I don’t think you can totally gauge someone’s intelligence level on the type of movies they like… nor do I think any friendships should be based on movie preferences… I have a friend who loves all the sappy “chick” flicks that I’m not really that fond of and she doesn’t really care for most of the movies I like… but… her brain is like a calculator… need a math problem solved… just ask her… I went with her to see the Ya Ya Sisterhood and she went with me to see Spiderman … why? … because neither of us wanted to go watch them alone and that is what friendship is about…

If someone I was dating wanted to see a movie I wasn’t too interested in, I would go because they wanted to see it and hope it is better than I think it will be… and I would hope they would do the same for a movie I wanted to see…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
He's a freelance journalist. He asks why. It is his job [and his signature].

And he gets some half decent conversation going around here. So leave him be.
Yes - I know him. We have talked. My post was meant to be funny. I just don't use or or like other people afterwards.

But I will now.

Originally posted by Holden Pike
Guess what: that relationship didn't last much longer.
Oh they don't. I have found that to be true. If your tastes in movies are too different, the two of you are too different, and it won't work out. I made up my mind to dump someone because he loved the Jim Carrey version of How The Grinch Stole Christmas. *shudder*

I have different tastes in movies to my friends. Totally different genres. Like Slay, I've liked movies that others have shunned. (and I'd hate to think they rate my intelligence on my preferences!) I tend to go to the movies by myself. I don't choose my friends for their tastes in movies and hopefully visa-versa.

Thanks Silver.

And Jason, you're absolutely right.

The questions I ask, mostly how I as them, is something I learned to do in school. It has become a habit. Sorry.
Being a journalist, you learn to never ask a question that would yield a one-word answer.

For instance, if I were to ask you what your favorite color is, you might say, "Blue."

Fine, but that's not so interesting to the reader. Now, if I were to ask you, "Why is blue your favorite color?" your answer would be more interesting, and it says alot about who you are to the reader.

You can manipulate this further, depending on how much time you want to spend recording the interview or taking notes (everything in the interview must be logged) by asking,
"How do you feel about people who don't like blue?" This sort of questioning takes the interviewee off-guard (I implore all of you to try this on your friends, it's fun to watch them search their mind and look at you funny for a second).

I used to be a television reporter, where you not only want to take control of the interview (people have alot to say when a camera is in their faces), but you don't want to spend hours logging the blasted story in the editing room, sometimes it just not worth it for one great sound byte. All of you out there who have ever logged tape (Silver) know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, sorry for the line of questioning--it's just my style. And I can't see that I'll change it any time soon, so beware of the r66 threads.

edit: BTW, it also says alot to the reader, or viewer, about the person being interviewed if they choose not to answer a question or just side-step it totally.

Goodness, I wasn't expecting a full explanation about your questioning motives. I know all about that stuff - I was *just* making a joke about the movie questions because I think the concept of a movie disorder sounds funny.

But since you changed the subject to something rather educational in the field of journalism and communications, I personally hate being caught off-guard in an interview. Last year, I was selected to do an interview - 10 people out of my school and I was one of them. This strange woman locked me in a room by the office with another woman who was tape recording my interview. She asked all kinds of questions about my family, my life, my friends, etc. I felt so violated. As a scorpio (which you are too, reporter) I like to remain secretive, but I like to know everything else about others. So everytime I said something to this woman, she followed me up with a question I didn't want to answer. Drove me crazy... was short of breath... and you know, it's not very sexy to stop breathing.

Of course, that wasn't the first time. I'm the target of many investigators, so I go out of my way to investigate others too.

Is this making sense or do you think I'm just babbling? If it makes sense, why? If you think I'm babbling, why do you feel that way? Where do you feel it? What part of your body? Etc....

I don't think your babbling is nonsense.

It seems you had an adverse reaction to a pretty horrible interview.

I have to wonder what sort of story the reporter was writing to ask such personal questions about your family and friends.
Sounds more like an interrogation, rather than an interview. Also, a reporter doesn't usually have someone with them just to hold the tape recorder.

I feel in my heart that, after an experience like yours, I would have a hard time with reporters too.

From what I know, my principal had a project to do that required interviews done by 10 of his students. It was to get his doctorate. He informed before I had the interview that they'd be asking about my family, friends and how I felt about the school - which they did. However, as the interview progressed, the questions got deeper, and to me, it felt like more than just a stupid questionierre type thing. I guess that's the powerful effect of a good interview. If only only Diane Sawyer and Barbara Walters could be just as strong. Those candycane journalists...

An interview with the press is not the same as an interview with peers establishing credibility for one of their colleagues.

basically to answer that, i don't give a **** what other people think, and i like telling people what i think. so you could come to a conclusion on what my answers would be.