Avengers: Age of Ultron

→ in
Tools    

Rewatch this today in IMAX 3D. My first ever experience with an IMAX film, since we just got the format to Denmark. Damn, I've been missing out, I love IMAX! Definitely my preferred way to watch blockbusters and movies of that size and matter!

The movie though... I feel the same with it. It is still fairly good entertainment, but it's hollow, it isn't fresh anymore, and it's too much at times. But the characters are fun and you can still have a fun time with this film.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
I was gonna quote brick, but im on mobile.

"...vanilla"

That's how I felt. I like vanilla, but I would prefer something more.

Ultron seemed to have so much promise, but he just seemed uninspired.

Vision, on the other hand came across well. He seemed like the first "cosmic" character they have done. Look forward to what's going to happen when that guy tries to take that thing from him....cuz it's gotta happen.

Saw it tonight. It is just as fun as the first. Probably a few more flaws but I found myself genuinely smiling at a lot of stuff and time passed quickly (sign of being entertained). I don't know how Wehdon can make this incredible jam packed movies seem cohesive even with the flaws. Awesome.

Of course the set up for future movies is what gets everyone excited too. Marvel still hasn't made a complete dud, maybe the Hulk movie but I don't really count that. It's before they hit their stride with Iron man.

If I had to rank the movies now

11.) Incredible Hulk
10.) Iron Man 2
9.) Iron Man 3
8.) Thor 2
7.) Cap 1
6.) Cap 2
5.) Thor
4.)Iron Man
3.) Avengers 2
2.) Avengers
1.) Guardians Of The Galaxy

The Avengers are just too much fun so I have them 2 and 3....Guardians was however the most fun I've had at a marvel movie.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Not really...

Thor 2 : In ancient times, the gods of Asgard fought and won a war against an evil race known as the Dark Elves. The survivors were neutralized, and their ultimate weapon -- the Aether -- was buried in a secret location. Hundreds of years later, Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) finds the Aether and becomes its host, forcing Thor (Chris Hemsworth) to bring her to Asgard before Dark Elf Malekith (Christopher Eccleston) captures her and uses the weapon to destroy the Nine Realms -- including Earth.
Good guys get Infinity Stone (Jane). Stone does goofy stuff (gets in her). Bad guy gets hands on Infinity Stone and tries to destroy the world (Duh). Good guys kick bad guys butt all over the place. Nothing exciting or life altering happens.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Brash space adventurer Peter Quill (Chris Pratt) finds himself the quarry of relentless bounty hunters after he steals an orb coveted by Ronan, a powerful villain. To evade Ronan, Quill is forced into an uneasy truce with four disparate misfits: gun-toting Rocket Raccoon, treelike-humanoid Groot, enigmatic Gamora, and vengeance-driven Drax the Destroyer. But when he discovers the orb's true power and the cosmic threat it poses, Quill must rally his ragtag group to save the universe.
Good guys get Infinity Stone (Quill). Stone does goofy stuff (blows up the collectors place). Bad guy gets hands on Infinity Stone and tries to destroy the world (Duh). Good guys kick bad guys butt all over the place. Nothing exciting or life altering happens.

Avengers: Age of Ultron: When Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) jumpstarts a dormant peacekeeping program, things go terribly awry, forcing him, Thor (Chris Hemsworth), the Incredible Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) and the rest of the Avengers to reassemble. As the fate of Earth hangs in the balance, the team is put to the ultimate test as they battle Ultron (James Spader), a technological terror hell-bent on human extinction. Along the way, they encounter two mysterious and powerful newcomers, Pietro and Wanda Maximoff.
Good guys get Infinity Stone (Avengers). Stone does goofy stuff (creates a bad guy...despite creating a good guy later? WHA?!?!?!?). Bad guy gets hands on Infinity Stone and tries to destroy the world (Duh). Good guys kick bad guys butt all over the place. Nothing exciting or life altering happens.

If you aren't truly a Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) fan and don't get it all, why bother even going to see Avengers: Age of Ultron? Obviously they won't kill any "main" character in this because there's an actual based storyline within the entire MCU.

No emotional stakes? No substance??
Yes, that's what I said and there's plenty of people, including actual critics, who agree with me.

[Tony Stark - The loss of his father prompted him to build the Iron Man armor...therefore without Iron Man we wouldn't have had one of the leading technological people involved within Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Steve Rogers - He lost Peggy Carter in the '40's when he had his plane accident, crashing and 'time travelling' to modern day society. He still hurts to this day, fighting for his country as a soldier of war for his country as one of The Avengers.

Bruce Banner - He has serious emotional problems well... being angry and turning green. Thanks to the rest of his friends in The Avengers, he uses it for good to fight the bad guys.

Natasha Romanoff - She was orphaned as a child when she was trapped in a burning building during an early attack by enemy forces. A Soviet soldier, found Natasha in the inferno and rescued her. She had attracted the attention of Soviet intelligence, which began her training. Natasha was eventually recruited to become part of the Black Widow Program, a team of elite female sleeper agents. Natasha studied as a ballerina to cover for her true occupation. (All briefly glimpsed in the Avengers: Age of Ultron trailer and seen in the film)

Clint Barton - Has what's known as temper and ego problems. Which will eventually lead to a leave of absence forced upon him. When, due to a type of "affirmative action", he will then be replaced by the Falcon to comply with the Avengers' sanctioning of a new team.

Thor - As Lord of Asgard, he goes through so many emotional situations it's incredible. Falling in love with Jane Foster and disobeying his Father, his father dying, Loki almost dying, all while trying to be a protector of Earth. And...being an Avenger.
This is all back story that informs the characters. Even if that's in play in Avengers 2, it's not informing the end of the film. It's not got me sitting on the edge of my seat wondering how things will end. I know its going to end with Earths Mightiest Heroes standing back to back to back fighting a horde of "insert generic bad guy here."

[Plus....in the film Age of Ultron there's a big emotional status quo between Bruce and Natasha.
Which is the only interesting part of the film and it lasts one and a half scenes. When the Hulk disappears at the end I don't feel sad for Natasha because I've spent a total of 3 minutes caring about it a little bit. There's simply too much else going on to even cram that relationship in and have anyone give more than a shrugs worth of attention to it.

[Sweet indeed yes, and the movie I'm sure tends to stick in your mind like glue.
Quite the opposite for me. I actually forgot some of the events of this film almost immediately. It's just bland.

Originally Posted by bouncingbrick
WARNING: "Avengers: Age of Ultron" spoilers below
When the Hulk disappears at the end...
I didn't see the movie yet. Although not that HUGE of a spoiler, you could have though originally placed that in spoiler tags. As I edited in your quoted post.

I didn't see the movie yet. Although not that HUGE of a spoiler, you could have though originally placed that in spoiler tags. As I edited in your quoted post.
Then why the unholy **** are you trying to convince me it has a different plot than Thor and GotG?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

Spoiler alert, nothing of consequence happens and you will not be moved to tears. You might get a little excited, like when your number is called at the DMV.

Then why the unholy **** are you trying to convince me it has a different plot than Thor and GotG?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!
What does mentioning that you should put something in spoiler tags, have to do with me telling you the difference between two films?

Anyways, I plan on seeing this this week. I should be putting up my own review sometime shortly thereafter.

What does mentioning that you should put something in spoiler tags, have to do with me telling you the difference between two films?

Anyways, I plan on seeing this this week. I should be putting up my own review sometime shortly thereafter.
You tried to convince me about two posts ago that Thor 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Avengers 2 don't have the same story. That's what it has to do with it...like I said?!?!?

Amnesia much?

We didn't see it in 3D. I hate having reality intrude on a fantasy movie, but part of why we went was, in the wake of the problems in Baltimore, we wanted to get dinner and a movie in town rather than driving out to the 'burbs and the mega-plex...sort of a small piece of "take back the streets". The in-town, non-corporate theater we picked was not 3D but had food in the same block, a like-minded crowd and a schedule that was moved up so we could comply with the 10 PM curfew. I'm not a big liker of 3D anyway, since it usually results in dim, indistinct images, but maybe next time.
Most of the baltimore stuff didn't bother me, but I was filming last weekend and I got sunburned because the cvs was boarded up and I couldn't get sunscreen

Avengers Age Of Ultron (Joss Whedon,2015)

Before I saw this movie it was seriously hard not see or hear anyone mentioning it. It came out weeks ahead of the U.S., so there were already people with thoughts about it and clips galore all over the internet. I kept my distance as much as possible.

Then finally the day came when I finally got to see Avengers: Age of Ultron. The previews finished and I clutched my popcorn tightly. From the start my eyes never left the screen. The movie starts off by picking up directly from the end credits scene of Captain America: The Winter Soldier's with the twins. From there, the action kicks in.

Sequels don't usually do better than their predecessors, but this outperforms the original ten times over. The first Avengers was amazing for sure, but Age of Ultron to me seemed more powerful and emphatic. Joss Whedon has really impressed me.

I was also impressed how scenes within this film integrate nicely with the upcoming films Thor: Ragnarok, Captain America: Civil War and most importantly the next Avengers film Avengers: Infinity War.

As the two and a half hour film came to a close, I was a little sad to see it end. I don't really have anything negative to say about Age of Ultron. Why would anyone, this movie kicks friggin' ass.

Let me just leave off by saying in the end of AOU, everything isn't the same...

WARNING: "Avengers: Age of Ultron" spoilers below
The team goes into hiding:
  • Tony Stark steps away from being the team’s armored Avenger after the Ultron incident.
  • Clint Barton returns to his family ranch.
  • Hulk/Bruce Banner takes the Avengers Quinjet and hides into isolation somewhere in the ocean near Fiji.
  • Thor returns to Asgard to discover the location of remaining Infinity stone.

Which lead to a new line of Avenger recruits:
  • Captain America
  • Black Widow
  • Falcon (fills in for Hawkeye)
  • War Machine (fills in for Iron Man)
  • Scarlet Witch (fills in for The Hulk)
  • Vision (fills in for Thor)

I agree with pretty much everything David Chen says in the /Filmcast

WARNING: "Minor spoilers" spoilers below
The film is overstuffed despite being close to 2 1/2 hours long. The introduction of Ultron is completely without build-up and falls totally flat as a result. The very idea of Ultron isn't even mentioned until the scene where he's created. How did Stark get from the end of Iron Man 3 to the Stark we see in Avengers? Nothing important is ever explained about any of the characters. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are explained away with two lines of dialog. Ultron is about as menacing as a toaster.

I'm sorry, this is probably the weakest in the Marvel series. The only one that may be weaker is Iron Man 2.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
Supposedly the original cut was about an hour longer which I think would have improved it somewhat. Although cutting out the irrelevant plotlines like the Banner and Natasha romance and reducing Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver to brief cameos for future movies would have been the best option.

9/10

I enjoyed this film immensely. My expectations were sky high and most of those expectations were met. It’s textured, intelligent, fun, thrilling and delivers some of the best choreographed fights scenes the genre has ever seen. Most everything feels like a live action jump off the page comic book. Although, it’s the “mega-event” crossover type comic book. Certain comic book storylines can be either intimate or can be epic and vast. This film is very full and jam packed but in a good way. For comic book fans, AoU is more “Secret Wars” or “Infinity Gauntlet” in terms of delivering a mega-star event. Other MCU efforts like Netflix’s Daredevil or Captain America The Winter Soldier are in the same vain but much more intimate. As blockbusters go, this movie delivers what a sequel should as it ups the ante in every aspect. New characters introduced really work and familiar ones get to shine. My only complaint is that I would have liked to have seen more depth and context given to Ultron’s origin and to The Vision. I have a distinct feeling that both characters had scenes that hit the cutting room floor and will be interesting to see on any Blu-ray extended cut. Thor also seemed to get shortchanged in favor of pacing.

Overall, the impressive cast really delivered and AoU delivers pure entertainment. It manages to tie off Marvel’s phase two perfectly and does lay the groundwork for the next phase in a wonderful and subtle manner.

You tried to convince me about two posts ago that Thor 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Avengers 2 don't have the same story.
They don't...

Thor: The Dark world - In ancient times, the gods of Asgard fought and won a war against an evil race known as the Dark Elves. The survivors were neutralized, and their ultimate weapon -- the Aether -- was buried in a secret location. Hundreds of years later, Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) finds the Aether and becomes its host, forcing Thor (Chris Hemsworth) to bring her to Asgard before Dark Elf Malekith (Christopher Eccleston) captures her and uses the weapon to destroy the Nine Realms -- including Earth.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Brash space adventurer Peter Quill (Chris Pratt) finds himself the quarry of relentless bounty hunters after he steals an orb coveted by Ronan, a powerful villain. To evade Ronan, Quill is forced into an uneasy truce with four disparate misfits: gun-toting Rocket Raccoon, treelike-humanoid Groot, enigmatic Gamora, and vengeance-driven Drax the Destroyer. But when he discovers the orb's true power and the cosmic threat it poses, Quill must rally his ragtag group to save the universe.

Avengers: Age of Ultron - When Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) jumpstarts a dormant peacekeeping program, things go terribly awry, forcing him, Thor (Chris Hemsworth), the Incredible Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) and the rest of the Avengers to reassemble. As the fate of Earth hangs in the balance, the team is put to the ultimate test as they battle Ultron (James Spader), a technological terror hell-bent on human extinction. Along the way, they encounter two mysterious and powerful newcomers, Pietro and Wanda Maximoff.

Your version of every single film is just the background of each film that is the basis of the MCU as a whole, that ties each movie together. That doesn't mean it's every movie's full plot line.

You probably just have a problem with the Marvel Cinematic Universe in itself.

i like to avengers movies like spider man , captain america, Iron Man etc, i watch all parts of this avengers ...