The "I've Got You Covered" Song Tournament

Tools    

Aretha Franklin ~ Respect vs. George Canyon - Ring Of Fire - I have to say George is easy on the eye, but Aretha could flatten him with that voice

Johnny Cash - God's Gonna Cut You Down vs. The Beach Boys - Sloop John B. (Traditional) - never been much of a Beach Boys fan. Maybe New Brighton beach didn't prepare us Liverpool kids for the surfing lifestyle. Johnny Cash is a god amongst singers, and these last albums of his are just class

Collin Raye - Blackbird vs. The Mike Flowers Pops – Wonderwall (Oasis) - this is my dilemma - what is a good cover? I'm thinking one that reinterprets the original not just copies it. Collin sings Blackbird like he wants to be Macca even has a go at the voice , whereas the Mike Flowers Pops does reinterpret but it's awful even if you try to be post ironic.

Chicago Transit Authority - I'm A Man (Spencer Davis Group)
vs. Faith No More - Easy - that's a great version by Chicago. Listened to it a couple of times. Faith No More, no heart.

Todd Terje ft. Bryan Ferry - Johnny and Mary (Robert Palmer) vs. Tom Russell - Fire . Not mad on either, but that version of Fire made me wince (sorry GBG)

The Beatles - Twist and Shout vs. The Wallflowers - Heroes - One of my favourite songs. The Beatles had such joy in their singing when they were young. Heroes was good too

Iron Horse - Rocket Man (Elton John) vs. LACUNA COIL - Enjoy the Silence (Depche Mode) - not sure about that version of Rocket Man, it's a bit gimmicky although I do like bluegrass..It could grow on me but I liked Lacuna Coil more anyway

The Sundays-Wild horses vs. Oasis - My Generation easy choice

ROUND 1 - DAY 1

Aretha Franklin ~ Respect vs. George Canyon - Ring Of Fire

Johnny Cash - God's Gonna Cut You Down vs. The Beach Boys - Sloop John B. (Traditional)
Is this from Johnnys last album? he sounds a bit drained,which fit hurt forexample but unfortunately left this song a bit lackluster.i loved the song itself though.
Collin Raye - Blackbird vs. The Mike Flowers Pops – Wonderwall (Oasis)
so weird,but still i loved it
Chicago Transit Authority - I'm A Man (Spencer Davis Group) vs. Faith No More - Easy
like both though
Todd Terje ft. Bryan Ferry - Johnny and Mary (Robert Palmer) vs. Tom Russell - Fire
theres something really interesting about the first one though
The Beatles - Twist and Shout vs. The Wallflowers - Heroes
didnt know the first one was a cover!
Iron Horse - Rocket Man (Elton John) vs. LACUNA COIL - Enjoy the Silence (Depche Mode)
omg this is too difficult,loved both of them-i would vote for both of them if i could
The Sundays-Wild horses vs. Oasis - My Generation
my nom!

ROUND 1 - DAY 1

Johnny Cash - God's Gonna Cut You Down vs. The Beach Boys - Sloop John B. (Traditional)
Is this from Johnnys last album? he sounds a bit drained,which fit hurt forexample but unfortunately left this song a bit lackluster.i loved the song itself though.
Topsy yes it's one of his last recording, on number 5 of the 6 American Recordings he did with Rick Rubin. I love these albums for the obvious pleasure he still takes in singing, but the weariness in his elderly voice is so poignant, so real.

ROUND 1 - DAY 1

Aretha Franklin ~ Respect vs. George Canyon - Ring Of Fire...I'm voting for the more unique/obscure covers Respect is great of course, but it's a standard so I go with Ring of Fire.

Johnny Cash - God's Gonna Cut You Down vs. The Beach Boys - Sloop John B. (Traditional)...Both are nice but the Beach Boys song doesn't get played much.

Collin Raye - Blackbird vs. The Mike Flowers Pops – Wonderwall (Oasis)...Love that one! It puts a smile on my face, that's a cool cover. Much better than the original Oasis (yuk)

Chicago Transit Authority - I'm A Man (Spencer Davis Group) vs. Faith No More - Easy...very smooth cover of the original

Todd Terje ft. Bryan Ferry - Johnny and Mary (Robert Palmer) vs. Tom Russell - Fire...Liked both

The Beatles - Twist and Shout vs. The Wallflowers - Heroes...I like the Beatles Twist and Shout but it doesn't seem like a cover. Enjoyed Heroes.

Iron Horse - Rocket Man (Elton John) vs. LACUNA COIL - Enjoy the Silence (Depche Mode).. I love that song and that cover version too!

The Sundays-Wild horses vs. Oasis - My Generation
...Not a fan of Oasis, sorry.

Topsy yes it's one of his last recording, on number 5 of the 6 American Recordings he did with Rick Rubin. I love these albums for the obvious pleasure he still takes in singing, but the weariness in his elderly voice is so poignant, so real.
i thought so..i do agree with the bolded part,it just didnt connect on this specific song unfortunately..in the video i saw he died in 03??? is it really that long ago? smh..time is started to move way too quickly.

ROUND 1 - DAY 1

Aretha Franklin ~ Respect vs. George Canyon - Ring Of Fire-I never knew the first was a remake, and it's an all time great. I like the second song in general, and the music is good in that version. I didn't care for the singing/singer.

Johnny Cash - God's Gonna Cut You Down vs. The Beach Boys - Sloop John B. (Traditional)-The first is good, but that's far and away my favorite Beach Boys' song.

Collin Raye - Blackbird vs. The Mike Flowers Pops – Wonderwall (Oasis)-I don't like Blackbird even by The Beatles.

Chicago Transit Authority - I'm A Man (Spencer Davis Group) vs. Faith No More - Easy-The first is a very good cover of a great song-so much soul. I don't like the other song from anyone.

Todd Terje ft. Bryan Ferry - Johnny and Mary (Robert Palmer) vs. Tom Russell - Fire-Not familiar with the first, and I liked it. The other was ok.

The Beatles - Twist and Shout vs. The Wallflowers - Heroes-The first was one of my first favorite Beatle songs, but I've been sick of it ever since it was in that annoying movie. I think the second is a better song, and that's a good version.

Iron Horse - Rocket Man (Elton John) vs. LACUNA COIL - Enjoy the Silence (Depche Mode)-My favorite match of the round.

The Sundays-Wild horses vs. Oasis - My Generation-I love both originals but wasn't fond of either cover.

Just a heads-up - as there are ten of us participating to resolve any ties I'll be discounting my vote in those matches rather than seek someone outside the tournament.

^^A nice thought but not fair to you.
It's fair to me if I'm the one that decides to do it

It's very magnanimous of you Chyp, hopefully there's no ties.
Nothing to do with magnanimity - more like laziness

I'll get my votes in tonight.
No rush hun - there's only some crappy sappy 'love' tourney after this one

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
ROUND 1 - DAY 1

Aretha Franklin ~ Respect vs. George Canyon - Ring Of Fire

Collin Raye - Blackbird vs. The Mike Flowers Pops – Wonderwall (Oasis)

Chicago Transit Authority - I'm A Man (Spencer Davis Group) vs. Faith No More - Easy

Todd Terje ft. Bryan Ferry - Johnny and Mary (Robert Palmer) vs. Tom Russell - Fire

The Beatles - Twist and Shout vs. The Wallflowers - Heroes (The link for "The Beatles - Twist and Shout" has the message "This video contains content from UMG_MK, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds. Sorry about that." so I used this link instead.)

Iron Horse - Rocket Man (Elton John) vs. LACUNA COIL - Enjoy the Silence (Depche Mode)

The Sundays-Wild Horses vs. Oasis - My Generation

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
ROUND 1 - DAY 1

The Beatles - Twist and Shout vs. The Wallflowers - Heroes
Used this link for The Beatles - need an alternative, will add this one unless requested otherwise

That link for "The Beatles - Twist and Shout" doesn't work for me either. It has the same message as the original link.

No rush hun - there's only some crappy sappy 'love' tourney after this one
Reason: Darn keyboard mapping played up again :imaginarywhistlingemoji:

Yeah . . . Sure.

Bite me!!!

ROUND 1 - DAY 2

Ike and Tina Turner - Whole lotta love vs. Bananarama - Waterloo (ABBA)
not overly keen on either.
Frijid Pink-House of the Rising Sun vs. Al Green ~ How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?
honestly ive yet to hear a bad cover of this song
Patti Smith - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana) vs. Joan Jett & The Blackhearts ~ I Love Rock & Roll
loved this!
Manfred Mann - Quinn the Eskimo vs. Elvis Presley - Yesterday
never heard this,didnt expect to like it but i loved it
Joan Jett - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (AC/DC) vs. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Higher Ground
but dang Joan Jett was really pretty!
Rare Earth-Get Ready vs. George Michael & Elton John - Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me
didnt know the first one was a cover.i liked both!
William Shatner - Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds vs. Girls Aloud-Beneath your beautiful
my nom
Seasons After ~ Cry Little Sister vs. Johnny Cash - Redemption Day