The "I've Got You Covered" Song Tournament

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
While I'm complaining about overused songs in the other song tournament thread, I thought I may as well add some thoughts about it in this thread too.

When I read that this was going to be a Cover Songs Tournament, I thought it would be a lot of fun because we would hear new versions of songs, not the same old versions that we've heard over and over again in other tournaments.

Apparently I was wrong. It's sad to see that with all the great cover versions of songs out there, several people chose songs that are already over-nominated in past tournaments, and on the radio so often that even I've heard them too many times.

Without clicking on the links, and just going by the song titles and artists, these are some songs that kind of "jumped off the page at me":

Ike and Tina Turner - Proud Mary
Phil Collins - You Can't Hurry Love
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower
The Byrds - Mr Tambourine Man
Johnny Cash - Hurt
Soft Cell - Tainted Love

This tournament is a great opportunity to find new versions of old favorites. Can't we try a little harder to find some songs that haven't been overplayed?

People play these for different reasons Gbg: listening to new music or rediscovering long forgotten tunes; a fun way to pass a little time; a way to inflict as much of a loved artist on others as possible (sorry Topsy couldn't resist) and so on. One of the motivations for some people to play is to win so it's perfectly understandable that highly known tracks (one could even say 'standards' to an extent) are put forward multiple times. If people couldn't put forward whatever they want to (outside of previous winners/runners-up and as long as it fits a theme if there is one) then there would be no point to these imo.

Personally if I'm fed up hearing a certain song then the opposition consequently doesn't have to be that great for me to vote against it.

People play these for different reasons Gbg: listening to new music or rediscovering long forgotten tunes; a fun way to pass a little time; a way to inflict as much of a loved artist on others as possible (sorry Topsy couldn't resist) and so on. One of the motivations for some people to play is to win so it's perfectly understandable that highly known tracks (one could even say 'standards' to an extent) are put forward multiple times. If people couldn't put forward whatever they want to (outside of previous winners/runners-up and as long as it fits a theme if there is one) then there would be no point to these imo.

Personally if I'm fed up hearing a certain song then the opposition consequently doesn't have to be that great for me to vote against it.

I'm not saying that any of the songs that were nominated are (or should be) ineligible. I'm not even saying that I wouldn't vote for them just because they're overplayed.

I'm just saying that this type of theme tournament is a chance to be more creative and pick some songs and/or artists that we haven't heard so often. I was hoping that people would choose some more original choices for a change.

There are even a couple of songs that I nominated that I think are overplayed on country radio, so I'm seriously thinking about changing them to lesser known cover songs before the tournament starts.

I'm not saying that any of the songs that were nominated are (or should be) ineligible. I'm not even saying that I wouldn't vote for them just because they're overplayed.

I'm just saying that this type of theme tournament is a chance to be more creative and pick some songs and/or artists that we haven't heard so often. I was hoping that people would choose some more original choices for a change.

There are even a couple of songs that I nominated that I think are overplayed on country radio, so I'm seriously thinking about changing them to lesser known cover songs before the tournament starts.
Trouble is what's overplayed and stale to one person may still be fresh to another. Not disagreeing with your sentiment at all though, I much prefer to primarily put forward tracks that are perhaps not so obvious or are forgotten or lesser known but I listen to a vast array of music and winning one of these is really not important to me so that's easy enough for me to do.

Do we have a rough start date time for this? Approximate.
Doubt it will be starting this side of Christmas so I'd guess either just before or just after New Years CR.

While I'm complaining about overused songs in the other song tournament thread, I thought I may as well add some thoughts about it in this thread too.

When I read that this was going to be a Cover Songs Tournament, I thought it would be a lot of fun because we would hear new versions of songs, not the same old versions that we've heard over and over again in other tournaments.

Apparently I was wrong. It's sad to see that with all the great cover versions of songs out there, several people chose songs that are already over-nominated in past tournaments, and on the radio so often that even I've heard them too many times.

Without clicking on the links, and just going by the song titles and artists, these are some songs that kind of "jumped off the page at me":

Ike and Tina Turner - Proud Mary
Phil Collins - You Can't Hurry Love
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower
The Byrds - Mr Tambourine Man
Johnny Cash - Hurt
Soft Cell - Tainted Love

This tournament is a great opportunity to find new versions of old favorites. Can't we try a little harder to find some songs that haven't been overplayed?
I see where you're coming from GBG, but I just don't think there are actually that many great cover songs. I was really pushed to think of any more than the ones i did. The only covers I really like are the ones that're better than the original song like Jimi's All Along the Watchtower. I don't care that songs of that class are nominated a lot, I could listen to them all day

I see where you're coming from GBG, but I just don't think there are actually that many great cover songs. I was really pushed to think of any more than the ones i did. The only covers I really like are the ones that're better than the original song like Jimi's All Along the Watchtower. I don't care that songs of that class are nominated a lot, I could listen to them all day

Like I said, I'm not saying that those songs should be ineligible for this tournament. I was just hoping that if the same songs were nominated again in this tournament, we would at least hear some different versions of the same songs.

With the exception of "Phil Collins - You Can't Hurry Love", I didn't even know that those songs were cover songs until they showed up in this tournament. I thought they were the original versions.

I found some great cover songs by searching some of my favorite songs and artists on YouTube, plus there are a lot of great covers by singers who appeared on shows like "American Idol", "The X Factor", "The Voice", etc.

People play these for different reasons: listening to new music or rediscovering long forgotten tunes; a fun way to pass a little time; a way to inflict as much of a loved artist on others as possible (sorry Topsy couldn't resist) and so on. One of the motivations for some people to play is to win so it's perfectly understandable that highly known tracks (one could even say 'standards' to an extent) are put forward multiple times. If people couldn't put forward whatever they want to (outside of previous winners/runners-up and as long as it fits a theme if there is one) then there would be no point to these imo.

I agree with everyone....like GBG, I prefer lesser known covers and so that's what I picked. Like Chyp, I agree that others might have different preferences for choosing covers.

Normally most of us vote for the song we love best, which often is a long time standard, that gets a lot of play. Familiarity seems to win these tournaments.

I hope this time, you guys will give some consideration to voting for great or unique covers that are more obscure. As otherwise they will all be voted out in favor of the popular songs. That's how I plan to vote.

I changed a few of my nominations. Here's a link to my updated list with the changes:

http://www.movieforums.com/community...47#post1613747
Cool - modified in the main list accordingly. Carry on changing as many and as often as you want up until the start

People play these for different reasons Gbg: a way to inflict as much of a loved artist on others as possible (sorry Topsy couldn't resist) .
LMFAO,if its not too late,I shall take this as my que to join!

The Sundays-Wild horses
3 seconds to mars-stay
kings of leon-dancing on my own
Ed sheran-dirrty
Pixie Lott-Wake me up
Nadine Coyle-Fields of gold

for you especially Chyppie:
Shakira-Dude looks like a lady
Girls Aloud-Beneath your beautiful

if we get extra noms:
Britney-Burning up

Ok, I've had my break from taking part in tourneys. A good month. Time to get back in the game!

When are you planning on starting this tourney?
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Ok, I've had my break from taking part in tourneys. A good month. Time to get back in the game!

When are you planning on starting this tourney?
Right after the Christmas tourney ends (assuming all noms are in by then).

Switched!

Decided I won't be increasing this to a 128 song tournament. We'll run with just 8 noms each no matter how many are taking part and I'll do something a little different with regards the voting at some point during proceedings to get us down to just a final two.

People play these for different reasons Gbg: listening to new music or rediscovering long forgotten tunes; a fun way to pass a little time; a way to inflict as much of a loved artist on others as possible (sorry Topsy couldn't resist) and so on.
Amen, and that's funny about Topsy. I still want to join, but I've been too busy, sick, etc . . . to get my noms in just yet. I hope I can think of enough. I'll have my kids help me. They know numerous, I do believe. My daughter's working up a list for me, right now.

Amen, and that's funny about Topsy. I still want to join, but I've been too busy, sick, etc . . . to get my noms in just yet. I hope I can think of enough. I'll have my kids help me. They know numerous, I do believe. My daughter's working up a list for me, right now.
Still a while before we begin Ð, I'm sure you'll be able to come up with a list between you that you are happy putting forward!