All About Him Song Tournament

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Ooops, yep, I meant nominate.

That's a very good reason why you shouldn't nominate songs you don't care for. Who wants to vote against a bunch of their own songs?!? Also, don't worry at all about what others think of your songs. No one should come into these things expecting to like and/or love every last song. I doubt, or at least hope no one does.
Thanks for the help.

I don't worry about what people think of my songs, but if most people hate my noms, then sometimes I start to wonder if people are even listening to them, or if they just hear the first few seconds of the song and decide that they hate the song immediately. I've seen people vote on a full round of songs in less than 15 - 20 minutes, when there's easily over an hour of music to listen to in the round. It's just not possible to listen to all the songs that fast, so they're obviously skipping some, and it just seems like my noms are the easiest for them to skip when they already know that they hate my songs. (And this isn't just speculation anymore because I've asked several people, and they've admitting to rushing through the rounds and "skimming" through the songs.)

No, asking you is perfectly fine, because that's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe I'll even run it. If there's enough songs out there, that is. I just kept running into songs that had a man and a woman singing together. They were singing about their love for each other, etc . . . I almost did this in the woman's tourney, but decided against it, and now I'm seeing numerous more songs like that. I dunno about that tourney, but I will do what I did the last tourney, and make sure it's only about the one person.

Thanks!
I had a similar problem finding songs for the current song tournament, but I read through the whole list of songs on my mp3 player until I found the right songs to nominate. I carefully chose each song based on the lyrics. I also did some Google and YouTube searches using keywords to find additional songs to consider.

I'd be interested in the third tournament about couples, but those would be different songs too.

Sorry for my delay in responding. I started fussing with Guap. Speaking of this topic, and the hating of songs. I made a joke to him about you all hating my K-Pop song. It was just a joke though, for anyone who saw it. I know you guys aren't racist. He's just really hung up on that right now.

Thanks for the help.

I don't worry about what people think of my songs, but if most people hate my noms, then sometimes I start to wonder if people are even listening to them, or if they just hear the first few seconds of the song and decide that they hate the song immediately. I've seen people vote on a full round of songs in less than 15 - 20 minutes, when there's easily over an hour of music to listen to in the round. It's just not possible to listen to all the songs that fast, so they're obviously skipping some, and it just seems like my noms are the easiest for them to skip when they already know that they hate my songs.
Yep, I believe there's around an hour or so on each of the new sets we're doing now. Of course some songs may be very well known. Also, there may be the chance that some people vote on their songs, no matter what. That will minus a lot of time, I suppose.

I hope no one is automatically skipping your songs. Is it because they are Country songs, that you feel that way? I remember when you didn't think we'd be able to get a Country music Tournament going.

(And this isn't just speculation anymore because I've asked several people, and they've admitting to rushing through the rounds and "skimming" through the songs.)
My songs are doing worse than your songs, I do believe. If they are really skipping some of the songs now, they may be my songs. A lot of mine are well known. They seem to already know they hate them. I didn't expect much of anyone to listen to my K-Pop song.

I had a similar problem finding songs for the current song tournament, but I read through the whole list of songs on my mp3 player until I found the right songs to nominate. I carefully chose each song based on the lyrics. I also did some Google and YouTube searches using keywords to find additional songs to consider.
I did the exact same thing. I started with Google and You-Tube, and then I decided to use my Iphone music.

I'd be interested in the third tournament about couples, but those would be different songs too.
Cool! Maybe we can run it. What do ya think?

Sorry for my delay in responding. I started fussing with Guap. Speaking of this topic, and the hating of songs. I made a joke to him about you all hating my K-Pop song. It was just a joke though, for anyone who saw it. I know you guys aren't racist. He's just really hung up on that right now.
What's a "K-Pop song"?

Yep, I believe there's around an hour or so on each of the new sets we're doing now. Of course some songs may be very well known. Also, there may be the chance that some people vote on their songs, no matter what. That will minus a lot of time, I suppose.
I think it's actually more than an hour per round now because Mojo changed the rounds from 8 matches to 16 matches. (32 songs per round at an average of 3 minutes per song is about 96 minutes per round. How can people finish that in less than 30 minutes if they're listening to all the songs?)

Plus, there are some links that don't work, and even one link that went to the wrong song, but that didn't seem to stop people from voting in those matches. If they're not noticing obvious errors like the links not working, then they're obviously not clicking on the links.

I hope no one is automatically skipping your songs. Is it because they are Country songs, that you feel that way? I remember when you didn't think we'd be able to get a Country music Tournament going.
I don't think it's just because they're country songs. I think it's more because they're country ballads. Most people here seem to like the fast songs, and loud banging songs, so the slow songs just seem to get lost, especially if they're slow country songs. I love slow songs because those are the songs with the best lyrics, and they're relaxing to listen to.

My songs are doing worse than your songs, I do believe. If they are really skipping some of the songs now, they may be my songs. A lot of mine are well known. They seem to already know they hate them. I didn't expect much of anyone to listen to my K-Pop song.
I haven't totaled up how many songs I've lost in the current tournament so far, but it feels like most of my songs have already lost their matches in the first round. I don't really care if my songs are losing, even if they're losing in the first round. I just hope that people are at least listening to them and giving them a fair chance.

I have no idea how many songs anyone else has already lost because I don't pay attention to who nominated what. I vote on the songs. I don't vote on who nominated them.

I did the exact same thing. I started with Google and You-Tube, and then I decided to use my Iphone music.
I have about 4000 songs on my mp3 player. How many do you have on your Iphone?

Cool! Maybe we can run it. What do ya think?
I sell collectibles, including Christmas ornaments, stockings, decorations, etc., so this is the busiest time of the year for me. I won't be able to run anything until mid-to-late January (at the earliest).

What's a "K-Pop song"?
Korean Pop. That's why I made the joke to Guap. That kid's convinced that the entire board is full of racist people. I was just being a wise ass with him.

I think it's actually more than an hour per round now because Mojo changed the rounds from 8 matches to 16 matches. (32 songs per round at an average of 3 minutes per song is about 96 minutes per round. How can people finish that in less than 30 minutes if they're listening to all the songs?)
Yeah, no kidding. I think they take me a good one to two hours, easy. Sometimes I can't make up my mind, so I listen to them A LOT!

Plus, there are some links that don't work, and even one link that went to the wrong song, but that didn't seem to stop people from voting in those matches. If they're not noticing obvious errors like the links not working, then they're obviously not clicking on the links.
Wow, I didn't even notice that. So far during this game, I've had one song not work. I changed the link in my post to the accurate link. Maybe I should have posted it for others . . . Just in case.

I don't think it's just because they're country songs. I think it's more because they're country ballads. Most people here seem to like the fast songs, and loud banging songs, so the slow songs just seem to get lost, especially if they're slow country songs. I love slow songs because those are the songs with the best lyrics, and they're relaxing to listen to.
Love songs are my favorite. Even if they're country. I love a lot of every genre there is. I can listen to Dean Martin, Lionel Richie, Will Smith, Tone Loc, Rob Zombie, Bon Jovi, Journey, SHINee, and Johnny Lee in the same set of music. I love soooo many different singers and groups. It's weird to some people.

I haven't totaled up how many songs I've lost in the current tournament so far, but it feels like most of my songs have already lost their matches in the first round. I don't really care if my songs are losing, even if they're losing in the first round. I just hope that people are at least listening to them and giving them a fair chance.
Yeah, I agree. I hope they listen to mine, too. I have actually kept track. This is the first time I've ever done that, too. I have only kept two songs in this tournament, out of fourteen songs total.

I have no idea how many songs anyone else has already lost because I don't pay attention to who nominated what. I vote on the songs. I don't vote on who nominated them.
Yeah, I can't vote for a song I hate, no matter what.

I have about 4000 songs on my mp3 player. How many do you have on your Iphone?
I don't have that many yet. I haven't been able to get my Zune items on it. My daughter's old laptop broke right around the same time my Zune did. I used her computer for my Zune. My terabyte hard drive was broken when I got it, so I have a small hard drive still. My son is going to take that hard drive out of her old laptop, and make it a secondary drive in his computer, so that I can get everything off of it. There's a few thousand songs, I do believe, plus numerous movies, and thousands of pictures. I doubt I have 600 songs so far on my Iphone. They are more resent songs I've added to my own computer here.

I sell collectibles, including Christmas ornaments, stockings, decorations, etc., so this is the busiest time of the year for me. I won't be able to run anything until mid-to-late January (at the earliest).
Well, bummers there. I shall see how my life gets. I'm as busy as hell, too. I do soooo much, for so many people. I might have to wait, as well.

Is there a place where you all post music tournaments that you want to host later? A way to keep up with them.

Yeah, no kidding. I think they take me a good one to two hours, easy. Sometimes I can't make up my mind, so I listen to them A LOT!
Yeah, I also have to listen to the songs a few times before I can decide which to vote for sometimes, and sometimes I get sidetracked by the extra links on the side of the YouTube page.

Wow, I didn't even notice that. So far during this game, I've had one song not work. I changed the link in my post to the accurate link. Maybe I should have posted it for others . . . Just in case.
I always post a comment about any problems with links, (and the link that I used instead if there is one), so that whoever is running the tournament can fix the broken links for future rounds if the song gets through.

Love songs are my favorite. Even if they're country. I love a lot of every genre there is. I can listen to Dean Martin, Lionel Richie, Will Smith, Tone Loc, Rob Zombie, Bon Jovi, Journey, SHINee, and Johnny Lee in the same set of music. I love soooo many different singers and groups. It's weird to some people.
Love songs are also among my favorites, but I also love sad songs. I love songs about heartbreak and lost love, but apparently I'm in the minority with that here because those songs never make it through to the second round.

I don't have that many yet. I haven't been able to get my Zune items on it. My daughter's old laptop broke right around the same time my Zune did. I used her computer for my Zune. My terabyte hard drive was broken when I got it, so I have a small hard drive still. My son is going to take that hard drive out of her old laptop, and make it a secondary drive in his computer, so that I can get everything off of it. There's a few thousand songs, I do believe, plus numerous movies, and thousands of pictures. I doubt I have 600 songs so far on my Iphone. They are more resent songs I've added to my own computer here.
That's why I never buy any Apple products with a "I" in the name. They use proprietary software which makes it hard to transfer files to other devices. I use a Samsung Galaxy phone as my mp3 player. It has a slot for a micro SD card, so I can just drag any standard mp3 files from my computer onto the card, and then slip the card into my phone and I'm ready to go in minutes.

Well, bummers there. I shall see how my life gets. I'm as busy as hell, too. I do soooo much, for so many people. I might have to wait, as well.

Is there a place where you all post music tournaments that you want to host later? A way to keep up with them.
I don't think there's any specific thread for upcoming song tournaments. We usually just post any ideas in the current song tournament thread, and discuss them there.

Before I decide on my noms, I have a question for those of you who usually vote against my noms, (and sadly, that's most of you ).

Some people (mostly Cricket, I think), have complained about the same songs being nominated over and over again. But outside of the type of music that most of you seem to hate, I pretty much only know the most common songs, that you have all heard thousands of times.

Would you prefer that I continue to nominate songs that you probably haven't heard before, but you'll probably hate, or should I try to find songs that you might like, but you've heard them way too many times, especially in these tournaments?

BTW, this question is for all future tournaments, not just for this one. (Also, I reserve the right to nominate whatever I like, even if it goes against your answers here, but I'd like to know your opinions before making my own decision.)
GBG I'd want you to carry on nominating songs I haven't heard before.

In answer to one of your other points you made later. I click a fair amount on songs where the links don't work. I did used to point it out in the past but living in the UK there's quite a lot of links that are broken. I just find another version of the same song on youtube and listen to that instead. There's so many to listen to in this latest tournament - too many in one go in my opinion, I'd much rather have eight pairs not sixteen, I find it almost overwhelming when you don't have much time and the tournament is getting pushed along.

Alright Mofo's, make it 16 noms total for each of us.

I'm editing in my additional 4
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

GBG I'd want you to carry on nominating songs I haven't heard before.
Thanks for the help. I hope you're enjoying the songs that I nominated, even if you're not voting for them.

In answer to one of your other points you made later. I click a fair amount on songs where the links don't work. I did used to point it out in the past but living in the UK there's quite a lot of links that are broken. I just find another version of the same song on youtube and listen to that instead.
About the broken links, I think when a link is broken, you should always include a note about it for two reasons.

1) It allows the person running the tournament to either fix the broken link, or add the additional link to that song, so that you don't have to go find another link each time the song advances to the next round, and

2) If the link works everywhere, it allows the person who nominated the song to make sure that it's a good link for the song. Some songs have multiple versions, and if the link is a different version, the person who nominated it should have a chance to find a better link.

There's so many to listen to in this latest tournament - too many in one go in my opinion, I'd much rather have eight pairs not sixteen, I find it almost overwhelming when you don't have much time and the tournament is getting pushed along.
I agree about the matches. I think 16 matches per set is too many. I prefer 8 matches per set too. I don't understand why there's suddenly a rush to get through the tournaments faster, but I prefer a more relaxing pace.

Before I decide on my noms, I have a question for those of you who usually vote against my noms, (and sadly, that's most of you ).

Some people (mostly Cricket, I think), have complained about the same songs being nominated over and over again. But outside of the type of music that most of you seem to hate, I pretty much only know the most common songs, that you have all heard thousands of times.

Would you prefer that I continue to nominate songs that you probably haven't heard before, but you'll probably hate, or should I try to find songs that you might like, but you've heard them way too many times, especially in these tournaments?

BTW, this question is for all future tournaments, not just for this one. (Also, I reserve the right to nominate whatever I like, even if it goes against your answers here, but I'd like to know your opinions before making my own decision.)
It's mostly only hits that I nominate because that's all I know. I just try not to nominate the huge hits that have been nominated in half the tournaments. There's not that many of them left I don't think. When it comes to these specialty tournaments, I have begun to nominate songs for a second time myself just to fit the theme. Personally, I like nominations that I have to listen to in order to vote on them, either because I don't know them or I don't hear them that often, even if I don't like them. However, there's only so many songs that people like and know, that you can't blame someone for what they nominate. I have gotten sick of a few though.

Destiny, gbgoodies, and Christine, are you going to post your noms?
I'm trying to squeeze in my votes on the other thread. Don't forget that it's Thanksgiving tomorrow, and some of us (ME!) have an enormous amount of food to prepare.

I'll try my best to get a list going sometime tonight. It won't be easy. It looks like some of my favs got snagged. Here are a few . . .

Shania Twain ~ From this Moment On
Shania Twain ~ You're Still the One
Shania Twain ~ Forever and for Always
Shania Twain ~ Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under
Faith Hill ~ Breathe
Faith Hill ~ There You'll Be

I'll check later to make sure they aren't copies.

There's so many to listen to in this latest tournament - too many in one go in my opinion, I'd much rather have eight pairs not sixteen, I find it almost overwhelming when you don't have much time and the tournament is getting pushed along.
I agree about the matches. I think 16 matches per set is too many. I prefer 8 matches per set too. I don't understand why there's suddenly a rush to get through the tournaments faster, but I prefer a more relaxing pace.
Christine and GBG, I love you both!!!

I am so happy someone else feels this way. No one said anything in that thread when I complained. Now there's the feeling here, of needing to hurry with our nominations.

It's Thanksgiving. I do sooooo much during the holidays. My daughter is helping me this year. Thanks God!!!

I suppose one of the reasons I didn't notice that he changed it from 8 to 16, is that I am usually always rushing in these things, anyways. That, and I handle multiple accounts for people. I know numerous debit pins, passwords, social security numbers, phone numbers, and so on . . . I simply didn't notice to start, that he had switched this from 8 songs, to 16 songs. Once upon a time, I loved math, but for the love of God, I am so sick of numbers!!!

It's mostly only hits that I nominate because that's all I know. I just try not to nominate the huge hits that have been nominated in half the tournaments. There's not that many of them left I don't think. When it comes to these specialty tournaments, I have begun to nominate songs for a second time myself just to fit the theme. Personally, I like nominations that I have to listen to in order to vote on them, either because I don't know them or I don't hear them that often, even if I don't like them. However, there's only so many songs that people like and know, that you can't blame someone for what they nominate. I have gotten sick of a few though.

So if I understand correctly, you would rather that I nominate songs you don't know, but hate, rather than the hit songs that you know and love. Is that correct?

Destiny, gbgoodies, and Christine, are you going to post your noms?

Yes, I'm still working on my noms. I already have a list of potential noms, but I still have to narrow it down to only 16 songs. I should have them done within the next day or two, but Thanksgiving and Black Friday might slow me down a little bit.

So if I understand correctly, you would rather that I nominate songs you don't know, but hate, rather than the hit songs that you know and love. Is that correct?
That's sounds funny, but you should nominate whatever makes you happy. The songs that I like, want to listen to, and would vote for are only known by me.

That's sounds funny, but you should nominate whatever makes you happy. The songs that I like, want to listen to, and would vote for are only known by me.

I don't care if people don't vote for my songs, but with pretty much everyone voting against my songs, I started to wonder if it was affecting people's enjoyment of the tournament.