1940's Hall Of Fame Part I

Tools    

Here you go my 40's loving Mofos. I promise to do my best to keep a score sheet and link reviews in the second post. Happy watching!!!

Pursued (Raoul Walsh 1947) Camo

Laura (Otto Preminger 1944) Destiny

Shadow Of A Doubt (Alfred Hitchcock 1943) Seanc

Murderers Are Among Us (Wolfgang Staudte 1945) Cosmic Runaway

The Suspect (Robert Siodmak 1944) Edarsenal

The Little Foxes ( William Wyler 1941) Cricket

Fantasia (Disney 1940) Clazor

The Thief Of Bagdad (Michael Powell 1940) Rauldc14

Arsenic And Old Lace (Frank Capra 1944) Gbgoodies

Waterloo Bridge (Mervyn LeRoy 1940) Citizen Rules

How Green Was My Valley (John Ford 1941) Danielm

Rope (Alfred Hitchcock 1948) Neiba

Great noms. Laura is something i've been wanting to see for ages. I've had Shadow of a Doubt ready to watch for ages; it's one of the few big Hitch's i have left, Rope as well. As i told Cricket last night The Little Foxes looks great, might even watch that with my mum if she hasn't seen it since she loves Bette. Glad a Ford was nominated, only watched four of his films. The rest i've either never heard of or don't know much about but i'm looking forward to them all.

I'm going to leave both Fantasia and Arsenic & Old Lace, seen both and i remember them well. Fantasia is a great disney, my mum loves Arsenic but sadly i wasn't a big fan.

And yeah Cricket watched my nom last month sadly. I didn't realize until after i nominated it, broke my heart haha. Went through the lists and i'm pretty sure noone else has.

I set the deadline for Feb 20. I have Rope, Shadow Of A Doubt, How Green Was My Valley, Thief Of Bagdad, and Laura at my fingertips so I will try and blow through those. Three of those are rewatches of movies I love but have only seen once. I am looking forward to every film on this list although a couple look like they might not be tracked down super easy.

There's a pretty good copy of Pursued on Dailymotion for the record. Going to watch Treasure Planet in about 15 minutes then might follow it up with Pursued.

Pursued
I watched this last month after seeing it on the top 100 Westerns list and liked it a lot. It's got a nasty side to it, with a sense of dread that lasts until the end.

Laura
I also watched this last month. Very good, although I didn't love it like I had hoped. Still, I thought it was practically flawless.

Shadow of a Doubt
Haven't seen it in 20 years, and it was already on my 40's watchlist as a repeat viewing. I hardly remember it.

Murderers Are Among Us
Never heard of it!

The Suspect
Never heard of it!

The Little Foxes
My nomination and the last movie I watched, I think it's going to be well received.

Fantasia
Haven't seen it in over 30 years.

The Thief of Bagdad
Was already on my watchlist

Arsenic and Old Lace
Saw it about 20 years ago and remember loving it. Was already on my 40's watchlist as a repeat viewing.

Waterloo Bridge
Never heard of it!

How Green Was My Valley
I actually got the DVD today from Netflix and was going to watch it tomorrow.

Rope
Haven't seen it in 20 years but I remember it being one of my favorite Hitchcock films. It was already on my 40's watchlist as a repeat viewing.

I'm digging it!

And yeah Cricket watched my nom last month sadly. I didn't realize until after i nominated it, broke my heart haha. Went through the lists and i'm pretty sure noone else has.
Matt also watched that recently, and he mentioned that Jim Morrison saw it the day he died.

It really looks like a great variety of nominations, and I don't think there's a clear favorite.
Yeah, my first HOF looking at the list and not thinking there are two or three that will smoke the rest.

haha yeah i read that while searching. Been reading about Walsh lately, i think it looks good but who knows i might even hate it haha. Watched White Heat from him last month which i thought was good. And i love Robert Mitchum from the small amount i've seen of him.

I actually considered nominating Thief of Bagdad, but didn't have time to rewatch it earlier this week, and I didn't feel comfortable nominating it because I haven't seen it in a very long time. For some reason I thought Rope was from the early 50s. I recall really liking that movie, and am looking forward to watching it again. I also didn't realise Fantasia was from the 40s. I haven't seen that since I was a kid, so it'll be interesting seeing it now as an adult. I really only remember the centaurs and magic brooms haha.

My nomination, Die Mörder sind unter uns (Murders Are Among Us), was the first of a genre known as "rubble films", which dealt with issues of German guilt, reconstruction, and various other issues facing post-war Germany. The plot is similar to your typical thriller, and doesn't require any knowledge of German history to understand.

Awesome list of noms! This is going to be fun

Pursued (Raoul Walsh 1947) I haven't seen it, that I know of. Robert Mitchum with Raoul Walsh directing should be a winning combination.

Laura
(Otto Preminger 1944) Seen it several times, great film. I nominated a Gene Tierney film in the 9th, Leave Her to Heaven, Laura is her other well known film.

Shadow Of A Doubt (Alfred Hitchcock 1943) That was a nom in the first Film Noir Hof along with Laura. Great film and that makes two films with Teresa Wright, she's in Pursued too.

Murderers Are Among Us
(Wolfgang Staudte 1945) I'm sure I haven't seen this, the subject matter looks very interesting.

The Suspect (Robert Siodmak 1944) I haven't seen it. Charles Laughton is a powerhouse!

The Little Foxes ( William Wyler 1941) Seen this a couple times, I'm a fan of Bette Davis and Dan Duryea. Duryea was in my nom for the Film Noir Part 2, Scarlett Street. Solid film, I'm looking forward to a third watch.

Fantasia (Disney 1940) I've never seen this but have wanted to watch it. My wife says it's really good.

The Thief Of Bagdad
(Michael Powell 1940) I've seen it but I don't remember much except they did some ground breaking traveling matte shots in the movie.

Arsenic And Old Lace
(Frank Capra 1944) I was going to nominate a Cary Grant film, glad to see this one nominated.

Waterloo Bridge
(Mervyn LeRoy 1940) My nomination and a proper tear jerker. Very melodramatic. I love Vivian Leigh in this and this was her personal favorite of the 19 films she made.

How Green Was My Valley (John Ford 1941) I've seen this once, but glad it's nominated. I liked it but didn't love it the first time around.

Rope (Alfred Hitchcock 1948) I seen this fairly recently and I believe I even reviewed it here at MoFo. Hitch is the man! And that makes two Hitchcock films.

That was one of the films i considered nominating. Glad i didn't since it has been nominated before.
You could have always tried to nominate Unforgiven again.