When to strike on a DVD? Buy now or wait for Blu-Ray?

Tools    

Hey guys

OK... so I just bought a film I really liked on DVD , but only because there was no Blu-Ray of the movie available so I had to get it on DVD at least ( because I only like DVDs and Blu-Rays, not a streaming movie fan. ). Listen to this.. not even two months later that movie I bought on DVD came out on Blu-Ray!!! I'm so pissed because I now have to buy the Blu-Ray as well, because I personally prefer Blu-Ray over DVD. Has this ever happened to any of you guys? Have you bought a DVD because there was no Blu-ray available and within a few months or so it came out on Blu-Ray?

Well, I'm wondering is there ever a way to find out if a Blu-ray version of a DVD movie is going to come out ? Or is it always a waiting game with Blu-Ray movies? I'm thinking its a waiting game...a crapshoot if you will. To find out more I actually wrote to the Criterion Collection about a film they have only on DVD at this moment and not wanting to repeat my previous mistake and have to buy the Blu-ray as well at some point, I simply asked them if the DVD I wanted was ever going to be on Blu-ray so I didn't have to buy the DVD and the Blu-ray as well? They gave me a reply about how they would like to put all their films on Blu-ray "someday " but that in the business of home video distribution they could not tell me with absolute certainty when a specific DVD would be made into a Blu-Ray, or something closely like that they said. I am just assuming if that's how Criterion does it then it is probably the same with all the other DVD/Blu-ray home video distribution companies. Is it just a waiting game in the end? Do you have to basically buy it on DVD now if you really love the film and then just have to wait an indeterminate time, if ever, for it to come out on Blu-Ray?

Basically what I am getting at is would you buy a DVD of a film you really liked if there was no Blu-ray version of the movie available or would you just wait until it comes out on Blu-Ray...and remember that's assuming if it will EVER come out in on Blu-Ray in the first place?

Thanks

Was this with an independent release, or something? If we're talking about mainstream releases, I think the answer is that you can always expect a Blu-ray version.

Hey :-) You're right with mainstream releases you can pretty much expect a blu-ray release, unless there is some sort of extenuating circumstance, like the film director punches his moronic 'Im only in film for money, not the art of film' - type film producer in the face then you might only get a DVD, if that, lol.

Anyway the film I was referring too was a mainstream film at the time 'Glengarry Glen Ross' ( recommended business film to the people of this site if you have not seen. Its like Scorsese' The Wolf of Wall Street, which is why I suspect its about to come out on blu-ray, they want to cash in on the success of The Wolf of Wall Street. ) I guess with older films you just have to wait for a blu-ray or it just might never come out on blu-ray. That is unless more home video release companies are created to release more of the older films on blu-ray , which have value whether they were mainstream at the time, like 'Glengarry Glen Ross' , or not. I believe all films have some redeeming value.

In the end I think I actually answered my own question in my original post without even realizing it until now...when it comes to old and independent films its a crapshoot on when it will come out on blu-ray, if it ever will for that matter. I hope all films get released on blu-ray, maybe they will with time , but its probably going to take a long time since there are so many films out there.

Yeah, I think this was a big deal, and still is in the rare circumstances where an older film was released on DVD but may or may not get the same treatment, but I think, ongoing, it's a safe bet, and it'll almost always be released at the same time anyway.

Definitely still a problem occasionally, though.