Rank the Best Picture winners of the 1990s

Tools    

I think they all are amazing films other than shakespeare in love which I only consider moderately good. how do you feel about these films I am interested in seeing others rankings here is my own list. please remember just because a film finishes in the bottom half of this list doesn't mean I think it sucked.....they are all very good besides Shakespeare which IMO is on a lower level then the rest.

1. forrest gump
2. titanic
3. braveheart
4. American beauty
5. dances with wolves
6. silence of the lambs
7. shindlers list
8. the English patient
9. unforgiven
10. Shakespeare in love
Dances with Wolves
American Beauty
The Silence of the Lambs
Schindler's List
Unforgiven
The English Patient
Braveheart
Titanic

Haven't seen Shakespeare in Love or Forrest Gump.

01.Unforgiven
02.Schindler's List
03.Dances With Wolves
04.American Beauty
05.Forrest Gump
06.Silence of the Lambs
07.Braveheart
08.Titanic

Not seen Shakespeare In Love or The English Patient.

Welcome to the human race...
1. Unforgiven
2. The Silence of the Lambs
3. Schindler's List
4. Dances with Wolves
5. Braveheart
6. American Beauty
7. Titanic
8. Forrest Gump
9. Shakespeare in Love
10. The English Patient

1. Unforgiven
2. Silence of the Lambs
3. Schindler's List
4. Forrest Gump
5. American Beauty
6. Shakespeare in Love
7. The English Patient
8. Dances with Wolves
9. Titanic
10. Braveheart

But it should be noted that after my top three, I'd really be A-OK never seeing any of the other seven again as long as I live, and the bottom four it is safe to say I hate all of them.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

1. Dances With Wolves
2. Schindler's List
3. Titanic
4. Forrest Gump
5. Unforgiven
6. American Beauty
7. Silence of the Lambs
8. Shakespeare in Love
9. Braveheart

Love the first two, like the second two, kind of indifferent to the next three, don't like the last two. Haven't seen The English Patient.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I still havent seen Titanic, Dances With Wolves, or The English Patient, so here is my 7 in order:

1. Forrest Gump
2. Unforgiven
3. Silence of the Lambs
4. Braveheart
5.Schindler's List
6. American Beauty
7. Shakespeare in Love

The first four are all top 50 films for me, and Schindler's is probably in the top 100. American Beauty is OK and Shakespeare was mediocre. But this is easily the best decade of Oscar winners in my book.

1. Silence of the Lambs - pretty much stands on it's own as a unique winner in Academy history. I doubt we'll ever see anything like it again.
  2. Unforgiven - Validation of Clint Eastwood's second act as a top director over the past thirty years. Also the last great performance from Gene Hackman.
  3. Braveheart - 1995 was somewhat of a stinker of the year, Braveheart to me stands head over heels the best from that year.
  4. American Beauty - not the best film of the year but the best of that group.
  5. Schindlers List - I don't know if this was even Spielberg's best, and I'm never watching it again so I'll rank it at five.
  6. The English Patient - This is the part of the list were I go from movies that deserved to win to those that didn't. I think Fargo was the better film from this year though only slightly.
  7. Titanic - Now this year L.A. Confidential I found to vastly superior to Titanic as I revisit it every few years and it never ages
  8. Dances with Wolves - I think Goodfellas and Awakenings were better movies.
  9. Forrest Gump - I'm more of a Pulp Fiction and Shawshank guy, but I even liked Quiz Show over Gump.
  10. Shakespeare in Love - In hindsight this was the worst of the batch and therefore the worst winner of the 90's

It is a masterpiece though. And gets BETTER on repeated viewings.
I think that's Zemeckis's strength as a film maker is his ability for his films to get better on repeat viewings. I don't agree with you on Gump, but Cast Away, Back to the Future, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and even What Lies Beneath get better on second and third viewings.

1. Forrest Gump - It hit your every emotion.

2. Silence of the Lambs - Changed horror going forward, made it more mainstream.

3. Braveheart - Best medieval war scenes up until S6E09 of GoT, 25 years later.

4. Titanic - Cameron should be spanked for spending so much money making this, but it somehow made tons of money back. The film was great but he really dint have to spend that much money.

5. Unforgiven - I put it over Wolves & Beauty because it was so quoteworthy, "Deserves got nothin to do with it."

6. Dances with Wolves - Liked it, kinda long.

7. American Beauty - Liked it. Kinda insightful, distasteful, and brilliant.

8. Schindlers List - Hard to get enthused with the subject matter, but it was solid.

9. The English Patient - I guessed the twist, but it was ok.

10. Shakespeare in Love - Even now after all this time, you gotta be kidding me?!

1. Forrest Gump - One of my Top 10 films, and it ranks the highest for me out of all the 90's Oscar winners.

2. American Beauty - One of my Top 11 movies, and it ranks lower than Forrest Gump.

3. Titanic - Despite all the naysayers, Titanic is a great movie with a great story and incredible performances by the entire cast.

4. Braveheart - Mel has never been better both as an actor and director.

5. Silence of the Lambs - A movie that is one of its kind.

6. Unforgiven - Clint Eastwood and Gene Hackman were great in the film, especially Gene.

7. Dances with Wolves - I watched this movie once in the early 90's, and haven't built the interest in watching it again since.

8. Schindlers List - Same as Dances with Wolves, I watched it only once and do not want to see it again. Overrated despite its subject matter.

9. The English Patient - This movie is boring. The story and acting had zero interest to me. Highly overrated.

10. Shakespeare in Love - Couldn't get myself to watch it in its entirety. Boring. Criminally overrated.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I'll give this a go...

1. Unforgiven
2. Titanic
3. Dances with Wolves
4. Schindler's List
5. Forrest Gump
6. Braveheart
7. American Beauty
8. Shakespeare in Love
9. The English Patient

All of those were excellent movies.

Didn't see Silence of the Lambs

I'll give this a go...

1. Unforgiven
2. Titanic
3. Dances with Wolves
4. Schindler's List
5. Forrest Gump
6. Braveheart
7. American Beauty
8. Shakespeare in Love
9. The English Patient

All of those were excellent movies.

Didn't see Silence of the Lambs
Whoa! You haven't seen Silence of the Lambs?
It's a pretty awesome, edge-of-your-seat, psychological thriller / crime-drama with some unforgettable performances. (Some of Hopkins lines have become history.)

I've only seen Schindler's List from beginning to end, but it's a film that always tugs at my heart, particularly at the end when Schindler breaks down in front of the workers.

"I could have got more out. I could have got more. I don't know. If I'd just... I could have got more... If I'd made more money... I threw away so much money. You have no idea. If I'd just... I didn't do enough! ... This car. Goeth would have bought this car. Why did I keep the car? Ten people right there. Ten people. Ten more people... This pin. Two people. This is gold. Two more people. He would have given me two for it, at least one. One more person. A person, Stern. For this. I could have gotten one more person... and I didn't! And I... I didn't!"