TOMMY LEE JONES- THE FUGITIVE
0%
0 votes
JOHN MALKOVICH- IN THE LINE OF FIRE
9.09%
1 votes
PETE POSTLETHWAITE- IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER
11 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Hello, im new to these boards. 1993 Best Supporting actor was one of the strongest line ups in history, which out of these great performances did you feel was the most worthy of the award. It comes down to Fiennes and DiCaprio for me, but I think Fiennes was overall the best that year

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I voted for DiCaprio-- I figure it's more technically challenging to play autism, plus he was so young. Ralph was good too, but between the two, LC gets the vote from me

I agree, its defintely difficult, but I think Fiennes had a slighly more difficult challenge in the sense he had to play such an evil monster and still manages to find the human being inside.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I voted for Fiennes, though I've only seen his and DiCaprio's. I thought Fiennes was brilliant. DiCaprio did great work, but I think Fiennes did a little better.

I'll go with Leonardo DiCaprio he is fabulous and talented actor and he really deserve that.....I think this time he will win best actor for Inception....movie is mind blowing..

This is going to come as a shock but i thought, Johnny Depp, should have got more recognition than he did.

Leo did an outstanding job in What's Eating Gilbert Grape but I also think that Johnny Depp's performance in What's Eating Gilbert Grape was very well done.

Poll's closed, but I would have voted for Fiennes. This year stands out for me as well, since Tommy Lee Jones was a sentimental favorite that year and I felt he was going to win and was rooting for Fiennes.

I felt Fiennes gave one of the great all-time performances. One reviewers' cliche you hear often: an actor makes a brutish character seem likable. I think Fiennes' great achievement in this film was avoiding that trap. He plays Goeth as complex and conflicted, chilling and oddly fascinating. But never likable, never fully human. I think it was truly remarkable.

I felt Tommy Lee Jones gave a very fine, workmanlike performance, but one that was carried along by great dialog that made his job of posturing much easier. I love the performance ... but it was perhaps the least accomplished of all the nominees.

DiCaprio was also good in Grape. But you know, I felt he gave the performance of his life in Total Eclipse a couple of years later. Largely overlooked, it seems.
Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain ... only straw. Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain? Scarecrow: I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they? Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think Total Eclipse was overlooked because it was borderline awful. It's hard to believe that a very good director and a solid scriptwriter could turn out something so weak. I honestly cannot tell you what I thought of DiCaprio's performance because I was too busy trying to figure out why the movie turned out the way it did.

I'll go with Leonardo DiCaprio he is fabulous and talented actor and he really deserve that.....I think this time he will win best actor for Inception....movie is mind blowing..
Id rather it was for Shutter Island. I didnt think he was anything special in Inception, which wasnt really his fault, but his character was written as pretty flat.

In terms of Fiennes I agree he should have won, but its a shame he never really had any other performances that topped this one. He could have been the next big thing after Schindler's List, but made some really bad choices on films that hes kind of just there now doing supporting roles as oppossed to tackling interesting lead roles.

I don't care which movie out of Shutter Island or Inception that Leo is going to win an Oscar for because he did such a fantastic job in both films.

He isnt going to even be nominated in my opinion, Shutter Island was too early and Inception isnt an actors film

I agree with that, ME. Unless they have 10 nominations for Best Actor, he won't get a look in for either film. That or the 'Oscar' films this year are so poor, that they actually look beyond the last few months of the year for a nomination.

I agree with that, ME. Unless they have 10 nominations for Best Actor, he won't get a look in for either film. That or the 'Oscar' films this year are so poor, that they actually look beyond the last few months of the year for a nomination.
Agreed, if he does Hoover which will be directed by Clint Eastwood that should improve his chances next year

Both roles of Fiennes and Dicaprio were very taxing roles. Leo performance for a younger child actor was amazing and really put him on the map as a performer for the future. The same can be said for Fiennes whose role as Amon Goeth was the big start of his career other then his role in Wuthering Heights the year prior. Both actors were deserving , but I think the award went to Fiennes because of the film and it won quite a few awards that evening.

Leo performance for a younger child actor was amazing and really put him on the map as a performer for the future.
I also truely feel that Leo's performance in What's Eating Gilbert Grape is what put Leo on the map.