1940's Hall Of Fame Part I

Tools    

I didn't see this. If I'm on the board, I'm going to finish. I always have.
It's less than a month to go and you've only just did your second write-up though. You can see why he's being cautious surely.

He posted that two hours ago
I see that now, but I've had this thread . . . every thread that I have something going on in is open. They stay that way. I just came back to this thread and started posting.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	What a headache!!!.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	28517  

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Murderers are Among Us (Staudte, 1946)

A very interesting watch both as a film and as a piece of history. It's a german movie shot right after WW II, and that, as Cosmic said, recovers the German expressionism way of filming (a movement that was the main inspiration for the American noir subgenre we all love). In that aspect it's a fascinating work, with some amazing lightning and cinematography details!
The characters are interesting on their own and in a way as a contrast to each other but I don't think they complemented each other well! I didn't believe they were in love because was done very quickly and with no clear reasoning. I liked the perfomances, especially from Borchert, so I don't think the problem was in the acting!
The writing has some very good moments, I loved how the drunk Dr. Mertens flips over a chess game. In fact, most of the great script moments belong to Dr. Mertens!
I had some issues with some of the editing and pacing, in some moments I thought I was watching a incomplete or censored version, but overall it's a nice watch!

Laura

I'm sorry, but the start of this review is just as much about me, as it is the movie. Consider yourself warned.

I just watched this again the other day, when I went to one of the people's homes that I help take care of. I decided that in between the work, bills, and therapy, we'd watch a movie. She loved it. It was fun watching her reactions. It was also a bit funny, because I ended up telling her why I love the movie so. It's sort of odd, I suppose, but it's because I've lived through that experience. Not her career, or lady like manner. I'm all woman, but I'm no lady. I am way too rough around the edges . . . Thank God!!! Anyways, as far as the rest of the story goes, except the murder, I've been right there. Twice, actually. Once when I was around 20, and again when I was around 30. Thank God neither Billy nor Max wanted to kill me. They both did love me so much, though. They also hated the men that I dated, and I'll have to admit . . . it was for good reasons. These two men would have done anything for me. Anything that I asked. I just wasn't attracted to them. I seemed to usually pick the tough and rough men. Either the men who kept me away from everyone else, or those who spied on me all the time. Max was a millionaire. He sort of reminded me a couple or so times. He wasn't too snobby, I suppose. Not anything like Waldo. Now there was a man with issues. Even though I was given a list of bad qualities the men in my life had, Max didn't spy, or pay a detective. Laura should have seen the signs. I don't think that's a fault with the movie, though. Plenty of women look right over the signs. Men do too. However, yes, she was seriously blind to this man's obsession with her. Personally, I just pretended not to notice. I'm not sure how she missed it. Waldo had a sick pattern with knocking down every man in her life. They didn't let us know much at all about Jacoby, and I believe that Shelby was a user, and said whatever was needed, to get whatever he wanted. The fact that he was very handsome, helped that a lot. This wasn't going to happen again with Mark. Calling a woman a dame, isn't exactly a bad quality. Waldo was so rude, too. The crack about the dime store candy. It was great, when Laura finally stood up to him. It was like the beginning of the movie, when she handled his rude attitude about his lunch. His attitude was unbelievable. She did however win him over. He helped her with her style and career, and then bam, it's like he owned her.

The other characters . . .

Her aunt was an odd lady. Admitting that she had thought about killing her niece, just to get Shelby. Spending loads of money on him, and it was very obvious that she was willing to buy his love. To be with someone that you know "just" wants you for your money, is awful. I couldn't do it. She spent the entire movie trying to buy that man.

The cleaning lady. The sweetest character. Not too bright when she wiped off all the fingerprints on the bottle and glasses, but she did it to save Laura's reputation. It was awful how they had to let her know Laura was still alive. I also love how she first talked to Mark. How she handled him. It was very funny.

I truly love this movie. I have Holden to thank for that. I didn't even know it existed, until he sent it to me several years ago. I am sure it will always be a favorite.

Great review . I liked the personal touches at the start and especially the 'stream of consciousness' of it all; i do that myself mostly because i keep thinking of new things to say and can't be bothered restructuring it haha.

Hope to see reviews of films you hadn't already seen soon. It's always good to see fresh impressions.

Great review . I liked the personal touches at the start and especially the 'stream of consciousness' of it all; i do that myself mostly because i keep thinking of new things to say and can't be bothered restructuring it haha.

Hope to see reviews of films you hadn't already seen soon. It's always good to see fresh impressions.
Thank you! I am about to go buy some more of them from Amazon stream. So, more reviews soon. I knew I wouldn't hit this hard until mid to late January, but I'm telling you man, every single time I give someone a date, something happens. I swear my middle name is Jinx!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
great reviews neiba and destiny!

I've got Murderers Among Us left to do and trying to find the time to do it lol

great reviews neiba and destiny!

I've got Murderers Among Us left to do and trying to find the time to do it lol
Thank you! I forgot to mention, but there is a remake to Laura. I don't want to name it, because it will obviously ruin a lot about the movie. I don't even know if it's being referred to as a remake, but even if it's not, it copied the hell out of Laura. Just sayin!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Shadow of a Doubt POTENTIAL SPOILERS

I had been holding onto watching this movie for so long that the expectations were very high. And it met all of those expectations. The two lead performances were excellent, some of the better that Hitchcock has directed in my opinion. Joseph Cotten really got lost in his role and was a very believable character. Teresa Wright really shines as the down to earth niece who pieces everything together. I think we can officially call her one of my favorite actresses after this 40s Hall of Fame is all said and done. I love the atmospheres that Hitchcock creates. The car in the garage scene, perfect, the train scene, perfect. It isn't Hitchcocks most suspenseful movie but it may be one of his most dramatic. The camerawork was perfect I thought too. The side characters did a really good job, especially the character who once played as Clarence. It's hard because my top 5 Hitchcock is a tough egg to crack but this isn't far off of them after even a first watch. Excellent nomination Sean

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm now finished. Hope I'm not the last one to cross the finish line. I'll give it the weekend to think it over and then I'll send my list Sunday Night or Monday!

Murderers Are Among Us

This has been an incredible first-time HOF for me with a couple of old time favorites and a number of unknowns that were truly terrific finds, and with Cosmic's nomination it comes to an excellent end.

A worn-torn Berlin and its citizens attempting to live again, to rebuild, to find hope or to simply hide away in the rubble, being far too traumatized to attempt anything else.
This is how this film opens and it is from such beginnings that I was wonderfully surprised at how it concluded.
With the use of expressionism cinema we delve into despair AND into the tenacity of hope within a broken city inhabited by broken individuals seeking to heal themselves.

I applaud this film for delving into the aftermath of the war. So many films go into the destruction and end on someone expressing how they're going to rebuild. Here, we see it. Not in some grand scale, but internally, where it truly occurs. We see it in Dr. Merten and we see that desire for hope in Susanne. And it is done without glamorized theatrics but something more somber, more real. Where two broken people come together. One looking for someone to heal and thereby find life again; the other, lost in his own despair only to find the light back home and the inner strength to follow it.
This could have easily been a sugar-coated story and because it was not makes it so much more powerful. Especially with the higher road taken in its ending.

A very engaging film. Thank you, Cosmic.

...This has been an incredible first-time HOF for me with a couple of old time favorites and a number of unknowns that were truly terrific finds, and with Cosmic's nomination it comes to an excellent end...
Glad you could join Ed! You've been a great new member and I really hope to see you in other Hofs.

I think this 40s Hof has been one of my all time favorite Hofs! It was fun and ALL the noms were very worthy of being considered as inductees into the Hall of Fame.

I enjoyed them all

As i said earlier thanks for taking Ed outside the RTLMYS bubble, Citizen. Was gonna say some stuff but i think this sums it up so whatever:

It's pretty funny but i hate the animation so much, sorry

thanks guys!! This first one as been quite memorable and with a great group of people too and yes, some truly great movies.
I had been watching from the sidelines for quite some time with cricket telling me in numerous posts into get my @ss into the game; and as time went by I got more and more interested in joining - especially with some great HOFs recently, so when CR PMed an invite I just HAD to join in on one of my favorite decades and very happy I did.

Of course NOW I'm really stuck trying to find a #1 when the majority of them are, pretty much tied for first, and THEN putting the remaining ones in some kind of order. . . .

Glad you liked the film Ed, and were able to end the HoF on a high note.

I've only been in a couple of HoFs, but this one has definitely had the highest number of films that I thoroughly enjoyed.

very much so!! I had about 9 or so tied for first!! Not an easy sorting and then felt guilty about listing them -- nerve racking! lol
That's funny...I felt the same way! I would rearrange my voting list, over and over...until finally, I went ahead and sent it to Sean...so I wouldn't have to think about it anymore!