Lemony Snicket's 'A Series of Unfortunate Events'

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Netflix's new show has dropped, starring Neil Patrick Harris, Joan Cusack and Patrick Warburton.

Watched the first episode, it looked great. Reminded me of Pushing Daises a little with the art direction. The humour seems a little off at times, but I'll continue to watch since there only seems to be 8 episodes.

Anyone else check this out yet?

Suspect's Reviews

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Thinking about it. Think I red the first book in school when I was younger, but it didn't leave much of an impression. Watched the film when it came out. That left an impression....a very bad one.

Will probably give it a go sometime in the near future, if only to see if they can do something with the franchise.

Well, it's being done by totally different people, so I wouldn't skip it based on not liking the film. Most of the reviews I've seen (which are pretty positive) specifically talk about how this isn't much like the film.

Finished this the other night. Really nice show. A little longer and more repetitive than it needs to be (the former something that seems to apply to nearly all Netflix shows, since they don't have to operate under normal time constraints), but still really nice. I like the description I saw someone on Twitter use: "Wes Anderson for kids." The theme song's a nice tough, and Neil Patrick Harris has a lot of fun in the role of Count Olaf. Really looking forward to more.

Also, Sunny's facial expressions make for some tremendous reaction GIFs. I knew the moment I saw this one I had to create it:

Finished this the other night. Really nice show. A little longer and more repetitive than it needs to be (the former something that seems to apply to nearly all Netflix shows, since they don't have to operate under normal time constraints), but still really nice. I like the description I saw someone on Twitter use: "Wes Anderson for kids." The theme song's a nice tough, and Neil Patrick Harris has a lot of fun in the role of Count Olaf. Really looking forward to more.

Also, Sunny's facial expressions make for some tremendous reaction GIFs. I knew the moment I saw this one I had to create it:

I finished that a few days ago, not knowing anything about it save it was based on books, I gave it a watch being a fan of Neil Patrick Harris and was surprisingly taken with the whole show. really loved the surreal visuals with the car rides and such.

And yeah the baby, reactions and subtitles were hilarious. I lost track of how many times the baby alone made me laugh.

Season 3 was released recently, and it's the last one. Seven episodes, covering, I think, the final three books (it's been two episodes = one book the whole way, save for the very last episode).

I found season one utterly charming, season two decent (though it dragged a little), and season three almost as good as season one. I feel like some of the long-gestating revelations were a little rushed. Too much held back early and too much divulged quickly late. I vaguely recall the original plan being four seasons, so maybe that's it: they might have been rationing information out based on one episode count and then had to grapple with another. But the last batch of episodes, themselves, were funnier and cleverer than season two.

I understand there's a little something extra at the end compared to the book series, which I think is probably necessary:

WARNING: spoilers below
Despite the constant and amusing warnings about how it's not going to end well, that never felt particularly viable, at least in this medium. The books don't end with tragedy, exactly, but they don't end particularly happy, either, except maybe relatively. The grace note on the end of the show felt like a pretty good way to try to have it both ways.

I'm actually a little melancholy that it's over. Not the kind of show that could go on and on productively, but one more season would've been nice, but I think the show ending was always going to feel a little regrettable. There's a pleasant sadness to the whole thing that's really exemplified by the show's secondary theme (the one they play at the end of the first season, and makes an appearance again in the third).

Highly recommended.