Noir Has Returned

Tools    

District B13
This is the definition of great cinema: http://www.theblackdahliamovie.net/

This can't suck, it just can't.

Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi
This is the definition of great cinema: http://www.theblackdahliamovie.net/

Oh, sure it can suck. Ever see True Confessions (1981)? It starred Robert Duvall and Robert DeNiro and was also based on the Black Dahlia murder. It also happens to be unbearably dull and awful.

And expecting DePalma to awaken from his slumber and turn in a great movie is a tall order, I think. Starting from the James Ellroy novel is a plus, to be sure, but that doesn't mean the script is any good or that DePalma shot it and edited it well. The cast is certainly good...well, except for that Hartnett schlub. It has potential to be good, but it also has potential to be Ask the Dust (2006) or Mulholland Falls (1996). If it reaches the heights of L.A. Confidential (1997) or even Devil in a Blue Dress (1995), that'd be great. I'm sure I'll see it opening weekend either way, but I'm not holding my breath...and it most certainly can suck something awful.

Just based on cast and personell and a gut feeling, I actually have higher hopes for Hollywoodland (see the trailer HERE), based on another infamous L.A. murder (T.V. Superman George Reeves). And while that one has the Ben Affleck albatross to get past, on the plus side it has Adrien Brody, Bob Hoskins, Diane Lane, Molly Parker, Robin Tunney and Joe Spano. It's a first-time feature director, but he's helmed a lot of "Sopranos" episodes so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Hopefully both of these movies will turn out to be good, if not great.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

District B13
Ehhh, the cast in The Black Dahlia is significantly more talented than that of Hollywoodland. The same applies for the directors, even if De Palma is in a slump. Also, it's Ellroy source material.

Chaotic Neutral
Is the Ellroy novel worth reading? I am a fan of the crime novel, true and fictional.

But I gotta say out of the four top billed cast members, while Hartnett is no actor, I find Johansson and Swank extremely overrated. The emperor wears no clothes!

Originally Posted by AmandaSparks
I find Johansson and Swank extremely overrated. The emperor wears no clothes!

Yes, PLEASE!!! I'd very much like to see both of them very naked.

Chaotic Neutral
Meh, I love the ladies but Hilary Swank is a two bagger.

Meh, I love the ladies but Hilary Swank is a two bagger.

This is going off-topic, but I'm very much in love with Hilary Swank and think she's a beauty. Saw her in person once and she's even more striking and lovely up close.

And to answer your on-topic question, yes, Ellroy's novels are very much worth reading, including The Black Dahlia. Also check out The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential and White Jazz, which together with Dahlia make a quartet. Even if you've seen the excellent movie adaptation of L.A. Confidential, you'll still want to read the book, which is a big thick sucker and had to be streamlined for the film script with many subplots ejected.

Chaotic Neutral
I'll definitely check out LA Confidential; the movie could have stood to make more sense so I'm hoping the book will fill in.
Oh, and sorry to step on your galpal Hilary. *blush*

District B13
First off, Hillary Swank is beautiful. SHe has just played simpleton roles in the past. Seeing her in the trailer and (almost) look as good as Kirshner just proves how she can physically adapt as well as act.

Secondly, Ellroy gave his stamp of approval to this movie. HE has not done so with all of his films in the past. He has even given Hartnett a thumbs up.

anybody else think Joshie boy looks a little like Pierce Brosnan

eeeeeeeeeerie

Horrorphiliac

A system of cells interlinked
I'll definitely check out LA Confidential; the movie could have stood to make more sense so I'm hoping the book will fill in.
Oh, and sorry to step on your galpal Hilary. *blush*
Made more sense? Great, great flick. One of the better noir films to come out in a while..... What didn't make sense?

District B13
Originally Posted by Sedai
Made more sense? Great, great flick. One of the better noir films to come out in a while..... What didn't make sense?
The plot was a little complex. And no, I'm not smarter than anyone else, I've just seen the movie a thousand times.

I think it's not only the best neo-noir of all time, but also the best film-noir period.

Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi
I hope not

Thanks for both trailers guys

I'm really looking forward to this. Brian De Palma is great director. I just caught the trailer for this during Miami Vice.

District B13
Originally Posted by Richard X
I'm really looking forward to this. Brian De Palma is great director. I just caught the trailer for this during Miami Vice.
I heard that that was the best part about the film

Looks good to me. I'll watch it.

Also Hilary Swank is gorgeous.

anyone know what this is about?....."the corner"?