Dead Poet's Society

→ in
Tools    

Love this film. As well as being sentimental, it's also a very good look at the politics of schools like that.

I was thinking about the posts made in regards to this film glorifying suicide today. I agree the movie does do that to some degree. However, in Australia (where I live) there is an un-written rule that the media don't report on such incidents to prevent said glorification. However, we continue to have one of if not the highest youth suicide rates in the world.

I think maybe it's time we followed in the footsteps of this film and faced the problem.

[spoilers]

I don't entirely agree with the assertion that it glorifies suicide. The film doesn't say that this is the right thing for the character to do. It shows the boys that they were naive in accepting Keating's teachings and believing that the world would allow it. Keating does encourage them to break free of repression but he is a loose cannon and accidentally causes the death of a pupil. Did Keating cheat him by promising a world of art and freedom when the pupil was bound to a stuffy conventional life?

However, we continue to have one of if not the highest youth suicide rates in the world.
you wish :P
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_suicide_rate

Why's that, Gabrielle? I looked up Lithuania, most people are Catholic about 80% and also Jewish about 1-2%. Your internet speed is one of the best, that doesn't mean anything really!

There's a huge bullying problem in Lithuania.Few years ago,a girl (she was 16 I think) committed suicide by going on train rails and getting hit by a train.Later,a video was published on youtube where she was bullied,other girls made her to get on her knees and beg for forgiveness(she did nothing for them) and lots of other crap.
A few months ago,some young man blew himself up in a forest but I'm not sure if it was because of the bullying.
Another problem is heavy drinking which,I believe,may also lead to a higher suicide rate.Drugs are not very popular in Lithuania,especially strong ones but alcohol is.It's also responsible for more than a half car accidents.
The final reason I think is countries' bad economy because Lithuania is in deep financial and economical crisis and there's lots of unemployment.People who work get low salaries ,can't take care of themselves and their families and this may lead to committing suicide.