What do you think about Night as a director/screenwriter?

Tools    

Originally Posted by Inspired
All of he's movies Inspires me. The message that is brought across in all of his movies, convinces me that he was reborn. . I saw Lady in the Water last night, it was'nt what I expected. It was even better. I don't know why,but I get the feeling that his character in lady in the water, will become real life. Keep it up M. Can't wait to see what's next.

Find your purpose...
Originally Posted by SevenEleven
The indian is a frickin' genius.

Each of Night's shots is wrapped in perfect mise-en-scene. His motifs thorough, his themes, complex, and his characters, engaging. Thanks to his amazing attention to detail I get something new out of his films everytime I see them. Like the fact that the first few times we're introduced to glass in Unbreakable we see his reflection before we see him. I just saw Signs yesterday and noticed the importance of open doors as a motif. In the last shot when gibson closes the door to his bathroom, the embossment on the wooden door isn't the normal 4 squares pattern akin to the winXP logo you usually see. No, the proportions were skewed to create a CROSS. I was stunned. So brilliant. never spoken about. and there it is, a giant cross in the middle of frame summing up everything the film is about.

I trust Shyamalan. Lady in the Water will be brilliant even if moviegoers are too daft to ever realize it.
Well said! I agree 100%. M. Night is brilliant, beyond his time. The reason I enjoy his movies so much is because they MEAN something! They make you rethink things. And you are correct about those who don't care for his work, in my humble opinion, they just don't get the message.

Originally Posted by Starrfyre
Well said! I agree 100%. M. Night is brilliant, beyond his time. The reason I enjoy his movies so much is because they MEAN something! They make you rethink things. And you are correct about those who don't care for his work, in my humble opinion, they just don't get the message.
Well, I agree with you. BTW, I love the picture. It's cool. This is way off the subject, but am I the only person from Arkansas on this forum?? I was just wondering that.

fbi
one of the best. definitely.

he knows what makes an audience listen. he will grab everyday things such as coincidences and hairs standing up on your neck and give them a frightening or unique explanation.

each character has something to say.

and as for directing, shyamalan is the only hollywood director today who knows how to scare people, regardless of wjhat they thought of the story.

belive me, i was scared when wacthing signs.