MoFo Fantasy Baseball '16 - The Regular Season

Tools    

Thu, Jul 14
Clayton Kershaw (back) is expected to throw a simulated game on Sunday.
Advice: It will either be in Los Angeles or at the Dodgers' spring training facility in Glendale, Arizona. Kershaw threw a 60-pitch bullpen session on Wednesday and didn't show any ill effects. The Dodgers are debating whether he'll need a rehab assignment. It's likely he'll be back for the Dodgers' homestand that begins on July 26.

Away we go. 7 man rotation for the second half. See if I can make a little ground in K and QS without killing my ERA and WHIP. Fingers crossed. Wish me luck guys.

A system of cells interlinked
Good luck everyone. Except Tongo!

Good luck everyone. Except Tongo!
Tongo unaffected, got some good news which overpowers your ill intentions for my Naturals

Thu, Jul 14
Michael Brantley (shoulder) will shift his rehab assignment to Double-A Akron on Friday.
Advice: It's Brantley's third stop on his rehab tour. Brantley went 3-for-5 at his previous two stops and looks well on his way to joining the Indians sometime next week.

I wonder if the Pirates/Nationals will still be going when the game starts tonight at 8pm. Pittsburgh @ Washington 1-1 in the 17th inning. Wilson Ramos went 0-5. Bastid.

18th inning now. I turned on the radio on the way to my softball game when the Nats were down to their last strike and Murphy homered. Turned it off. Got home two hours later and it's still going.

How is the softball? I think itd be a blast playing up north as it wouldnt be too hot out.

Well, it was like 86 today. Next week it'll be in the 90s. Pennsylvania still gets fairly hot, but obviously topping out around 95 most years is a lot better than hitting it for weeks on end, or whatever you guys have to deal with.

I definitely play my best when it's colder, though. Otherwise routine plays become a lot harder near the end of the game.

The main problem is Pittsburgh gets rain on about as many days as Seattle does, so particular in the Spring, we get a ton of rainouts and/or games in crappy conditions. I'll take that over sweltering, but sometimes I wonder how it'd be to play in hotter weather if it came with next to no rainouts.

Well, it was like 86 today. Next week it'll be in the 90s. Pennsylvania still gets fairly hot, but obviously topping out around 95 most years is a lot better than hitting it for weeks on end, or whatever you guys have to deal with.

I definitely play my best when it's colder, though. Otherwise routine plays become a lot harder near the end of the game.

The main problem is Pittsburgh gets rain on about as many days as Seattle does, so particular in the Spring, we get a ton of rainouts and/or games in crappy conditions. I'll take that over sweltering, but sometimes I wonder how it'd be to play in hotter weather if it came with next to no rainouts.
86 sounds awesome. Well we got the heat and the rainouts. Domes for the florida teams are a necessity in the summer, and the Buccaneers would even sell more tickets if they had a dome. So whats your position? Are you a pitcher, infield or outfielder, good on the bat?

Infield: I rotate between shortshop and third. My first year (2014) I was still really heavy, and I played 1st base exclusively. Second year, our shortshop got sick one game, so I filled in and it went well, and started playing there more.

Hitting has been a very steady slope: lots of hits the first year, but nearly all singles. Last year I started losing weight and started hitting doubles regularly, and homered a few times. Also hit a dozen off or near the wall, so I figured a small increase in strength would make a big difference. Made a point to lift weights this offseason and it's paid off a lot so far.

I think about softball more than I probably should these days, but I find it tremendously enjoyable.

Infield: I rotate between shortshop and third. My first year (2014) I was still really heavy, and I played 1st base exclusively. Second year, our shortshop got sick one game, so I filled in and it went well, and started playing there more.

Hitting has been a very steady slope: lots of hits the first year, but nearly all singles. Last year I started losing weight and started hitting doubles regularly, and homered a few times. Also hit a dozen off or near the wall, so I figured a small increase in strength would make a big difference. Made a point to lift weights this offseason and it's paid off a lot so far.

I think about softball more than I probably should these days, but I find it tremendously enjoyable.
Thats great, Im jealous. Yeah the shortstop and the catcher are the busiest positions on the field. I could never be a SS, my glove was....bad. Like the ball would jump out of my glove after I caught it level bad. Its funny how people assume you can hit the ball farther when bigger, but size has nothing to do with conditioned arm strength. Saw a big ol dude try and pull back on a composite bow one time, kinda almost got it halfway. Then a 13 year old girl picked the bow up and pulled it back all the way almost effortlessly. It was her bow, she was in competition.

Sigh! Mark just went 24.2 innings with a 0.00 ERA and a 0.61 Whip. At least Joe Ross had nothing to do with it. This wouldnt be an unusual accomplishment for one of Marks teams, but this year his pitchings comparatively hurting, but he needs less days like this if I am going to win.

Re: arm strength. You're totally right, arms have very little to do with it. There are guys in our league with huge arms who don't hit particularly hard or far. It's much more about leg and core strength.

How fast do the pitchers get the softball to the plate? I mentioned before my Dad played for the world champion Clearwater Bombers softball team, I think this was back in the 40s or 50s. My Dad was a catcher, and many years later during little league he met one of the other managers that he used to play against in softball, a pitcher. Well the 2 of them went out to the field in between games and put on a softball exhibition, allowing any "adult" to try and hit the ball. That guy burned that ball across the plate, which is why they didnt want a kid to try and hit against him. I had no idea the velocity those softballs could achieve.

Since the All-Star Break ended ol BHam has been doing ok the second half. Just the smallest of sample sizes, but a pretty darn good sample size at that. You know, if he could hit with the average he ran with in the minors, with the rate he steals bases he could be a huge point earner for my team.

Chris is OPS'ing 2.167 right now. MLB MVP numbers right there. Meanwhile, I'm hitting a meager .250 on the year; got to stop hitting so many lazy fly balls.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 3.16.21 PM.png
Views:	48
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	26284  

Chris is OPS'ing 2.167 right now. MLB MVP numbers right there. Meanwhile, I'm hitting a meager .250 on the year; got to stop hitting so many lazy fly balls.
Holy crap! His average is over .640 !!! Miggy Bowyer right thar'!

5 games in, what position you play Tim?