Meryl Streep and Donald Trump

Tools    

I thought her opinion about MMA was hilariously absurd. Because mixed martial arts are not the arts. So, does she think that she's an artist? I remember Michelle Williams was asked in an interview if when she's nominated for an award there is anyone else also nominated who she feels she can act circles around, and she said, "Meryl Streep." I don't think Meryl Streep is an artist. "The arts," sure, okay, whatever. But to say that Martial Arts are not real art, is pretty absurd and arrogant.

I'm not the biggest fan of MMA, but marital arts is the art of combat, and yes martial arts can be art for those who devote their life to the art of combat. The Last Samurai, was a pretty lousy movie, but it did represent the way that samurai lived their life as a form of art fairly well.

Edit: Meryl Streep also said something along the lines of, if they're all deported then all people will have to watch is wrestling and MMA. You can't be deported from America if you're born in America.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Notice how she didn't target baseball, as lacking in foreigners.

If all the Hollywood people got deported, they'd still have baseball too right? :P

Didn't Streep say she was going to go to Canada if Trump won?

Welcome to the human race...
I thought her opinion about MMA was hilariously absurd. Because mixed martial arts are not the arts. So, does she think that she's an artist? I remember Michelle Williams was asked in an interview if when she's nominated for an award there is anyone else also nominated who she feels she can act circles around, and she said, "Meryl Streep." I don't think Meryl Streep is an artist. "The arts," sure, okay, whatever. But to say that Martial Arts are not real art, is pretty absurd and arrogant.

I'm not the biggest fan of MMA, but marital arts is the art of combat, and yes martial arts can be art for those who devote their life to the art of combat. The Last Samurai, was a pretty lousy movie, but it did represent the way that samurai lived their life as a form of art fairly well.

Edit: Meryl Streep also said something along the lines of, if they're all deporter then all people will have to watch is wrestling and MMA. You can't be deported from America if you're born in America.
Well, yeah, doesn't performance count as an art?

I'll concede that her greater point was articulated rather poorly. I'm not into sports, but I still reckon this kind of condescending "sportsball" attitude expressed by people of an intellectual and/or artistic persuasion does disregard how both sports and the arts (as exemplified by Hollywood, at least) can be broken down to commodified performance. I think it stems from the idea that there's more "depth" to films and TV shows since they tell stories with characters and themes (even the lighter stuff) whereas sports are ostensibly about nothing more than the repetitive spectacle of watching athletes compete against one another without significantly challenging the audiences (save for the occasional person acting outside the status quo e.g. Kaepernick). Obviously, there's a spectrum at work here - caring about sports doesn't make someone a meathead and caring about films doesn't make someone a genius. Hell, they even make great movies about playing sports or being martial artists. It's just a bad idea to couch a point about the importance of free artistic expression within a comment that has to punch down on sports because sports aren't as Deep as the arts.

As for the deportment comment, that strikes me as a real "first they came for the Jews" kind of sentiment. If the incoming administration is allowed free rein to get rid of whatever groups of the population that they deem undesirable, then there's always the fear that a group that you belong to can be targeted next.

Well, I think it's funny that Meryl Streep said before the election that if Trump won she would move to Canada, and now that he won she's worried about being deported, especially considering the fact that she can't be deported because she was born in America. It's just a testament to how stupid she is.

What is art is another debate. Is acting necessarly art because it's one of "the arts?" Are martial arts not art because they're not one of "the arts?" I find it ironic how condescending she is towards MMA when she herself is not thought of as a real artist because she is widely believed to be a cliche "overrated" Hollywood actor.

As for the deportment comment, that strikes me as a real "first they came for the Jews" kind of sentiment. If the incoming administration is allowed free rein to get rid of whatever groups of the population that they deem undesirable, then there's always the fear that a group that you belong to can be targeted next.
Well, let's get real, Trump isn't going to be sending everyone who is opposed to him to concentration camps. Her fears are irrational. Trump may be being given more power than he should be, but he's not being given free reign to do whatever he wants, not that he even wants to kick everyone who opposes him out of the country. He's not Hitler despite what the liberals irrationally fear. I think we should at least wait and see, and give him a chance.

...Oh not again with the art stuff...Is Meryl Streep pretentious?
Don't get sidetracked. Remember the issue is that Meryl Streep criticised Martial Arts because they're not "the arts."

Welcome to the human race...
Well, I think it's funny that Meryl Streep said before the election that if Trump won she would move to Canada, and now that he won she's worried about being deported, especially considering the fact that she can't be deported because she was born in America. It's just a testament to how stupid she is.
Deportation may not technically be possible in her case, but it isn't the only punishment out there. Seems like another of those greater-point-lost-in-communication issues since there's understandable concern about many others getting deported unnecessarily, but that's rich white liberal discourse for you*.

*don't take this as an endorsement of conservatism

What is art is another debate. Is acting necessarly art because it's one of "the arts?" Are martial arts not art because they're not one of "the arts?" I find it ironic how condescending she is towards MMA when she herself is not thought of as a real artist because she is widely believed to be a cliche "overrated" Hollywood actor.
Acting is the creation of a fiction through an invented performance. It qualifies as art. Martial arts definitely take the same kind of talent and discipline that one would hope to find in an artistic endeavour, but they serve the actual individual and the discipline that they practice so it's harder to say how much of it qualifies as artistic expression instead of just self-development.

Well, let's get real, Trump isn't going to be sending everyone who is opposed to him to concentration camps. Her fears are irrational. Trump may be being given more power than he should be, but he's not being given free reign to do whatever he wants, not that he even wants to kick everyone who opposes him out of the country. He's not Hitler despite what the liberals irrationally fear. I think we should at least wait and see, and give him a chance.
If his cabinet picks and general conduct are any indication of what his presidency is going to be like, then he ran out of chances before November was out.

Deportation may not technically be possible in her case, but it isn't the only punishment out there. Seems like another of those greater-point-lost-in-communication issues since there's understandable concern about many others getting deported unnecessarily, but that's rich white liberal discourse for you*.
Regardless, Meryl Streep wanted to leave, now she's worried about being kicked out, but she's not going to be kicked out. She's just being an idiot.

Acting is the creation of a fiction through an invented performance. It qualifies as art. Martial arts definitely take the same kind of talent and discipline that one would hope to find in an artistic endeavour, but they serve the actual individual and the discipline that they practice so it's harder to say how much of it qualifies as artistic expression instead of just self-development.
Acting is a medium of art, and so are martial arts. Martial arts are the art of combat. Meryl Streep isn't an artist, she's an entertainer, a performer, a celebrity. Acting may technically be a medium of art, but that doesn't mean that every actor succeeds at achieving art. Art is primarily defined as skill and knowledge, according to the merriam-webster dictionary, and it may be subjective, but we compare it with those who have pushed their skill and knowledge in a given subject beyond what would normally be considered exceptional, and Meryl Streep has not done that. I would consider Royce Gracie more of an artist than her.

If his cabinet picks and general conduct are any indication of what his presidency is going to be like, then he ran out of chances before November was out.
I've read a few newspaper articles since he won the vote that made me respect him more than I did before the election, so I'm at least willing to wait and see. I do think he's an idiot, but at least he's not a leftist, or a democrat.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Meryl Streep never said she'd move to Canada. Improve your research so you can rant more effectively.

Per one of your examples, the entire premise of Breaking Bad hinges on the absence of universal health care in America as the main reason Walt turns to drug-dealing is to pay his medical bills.
This isn't actually true, either in the show's world or the real world.

I know there's a cheeky meme along these lines, but in the show, he has health insurance: he ends up needing money because his wife insists they find one of the very best oncologists in the country and hire them.

Also, one of the well-established trade offs of universal care is that it sacrifices quality at the high-end of coverage for breadth at the low-end, to the point where the rich or powerful in such nations often end up traveling outside of them for their care. So the Canadian Walter White, if his wife had the same priorities, would've been compelled to head to the United States.

Here's a really good editorial making the case with more detail.

I just lumped Walter White in with the other narcissists. If it was just for medical need, the show could have ended after he filled his wall with cash, but, it didn't. He did what he did for 5 seasons, because he felt a selfish need to do it.

Sundance: Robert Redford Says ‘We Stay Away From Politics’

“We stay away from politics,” said Redford at the opening press conference at this year’s film festival. “We stay focused on the stories being told by artists … we don’t play advocacy.”

“Presidents come and go,” Redford said. “The pendulum swings. It swings back and forth. It always has. It always will.”

“You want to look for where the light is going to come,” Redford said. He predicted that people who sat the election out will become politicized after social programs are eliminated.
http://variety.com/2017/film/markets...cs-1201964121/

Regardless, Meryl Streep wanted to leave, now she's worried about being kicked out, but she's not going to be kicked out. She's just being an idiot.

Acting is a medium of art, and so are martial arts. Martial arts are the art of combat. Meryl Streep isn't an artist, she's an entertainer, a performer, a celebrity. Acting may technically be a medium of art, but that doesn't mean that every actor succeeds at achieving art. Art is primarily defined as skill and knowledge, according to the merriam-webster dictionary, and it may be subjective, but we compare it with those who have pushed their skill and knowledge in a given subject beyond what would normally be considered exceptional, and Meryl Streep has not done that. I would consider Royce Gracie more of an artist than her.

You and Guap really deserve each other Zotis.

Jon Voight Accuses Miley Cyrus & Hollywood of Promoting 'Treason'
"They're teaching going against the government, not accepting the will of the people on this presidency," he said. "And it's a very sad day really when I see this."
http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...-treason-trump

He said they are teaching it. They are doing so from a position of influence. Sort of like Imams. The crime only begins after crap hits the fan.

In terms of measuring dumbness, I don't see a meaningful distinction between calling it treason and calling it "teaching treason."

If criticizing the government is "teaching treason" because it could hypothetically encourage it down the line, then defending the government is "teaching fascism" by the same reasoning.

I see you've left no room for a middle ground, which is what many Reps and Dems are currently practicing, and that is why you don't see them being aggressive or in anybody's face.