Swan's 2017 Movie Adventures

→ in
Tools    

Like the Sexy Curse? Dude, are you secretly Jason Voorhees?
We have a lot of similarities. This is my fate.

There are worse things to be similar to. You can be similar to that shrimp Leprechaun. No offense to him or his pot o' gold.

Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland -

(Michael A. Simpson, 1989)

[NEW WATCH]

I know the consensus seems to be that 2 is better than 3 but I liked this one a lot more. I think I would have liked the second one equally to the third but what killed it was how obnoxious Angela was in it. Funny that the third was shot right after it, because she's a lot more mellow in this one. With that I could actually enjoy the movie and even her to some extent - though she still pales completely in comparison to the original Angela. Alas, this movie was quite fun. The one great thing about all three are how wonderfully creative the kills are. I liked this one especially because it had almost zero plot. Once it gets going it is basically just Angela going around killing people in really creative ways. That sounds stupid, and it is (the one-liners that would be embarrassing if they weren't completely tongue-in-cheek really drive that fact home), but it's also lots of fun. I also love how ridiculous some of the stereotypes were, like the dude from Detroit.

All in all, a huge improvement over the first sequel but still nowhere near as good as the first film.

Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland -

(Michael A. Simpson, 1989)

[NEW WATCH]

I know the consensus seems to be that 2 is better than 3 but I liked this one a lot more. I think I would have liked the second one equally to the third but what killed it was how obnoxious Angela was in it. Funny that the third was shot right after it, because she's a lot more mellow in this one. With that I could actually enjoy the movie and even her to some extent - though she still pales completely in comparison to the original Angela. Alas, this movie was quite fun. The one great thing about all three are how wonderfully creative the kills are. I liked this one especially because it had almost zero plot. Once it gets going it is basically just Angela going around killing people in really creative ways. That sounds stupid, and it is (the one-liners that would be embarrassing if they weren't completely tongue-in-cheek really drive that fact home), but it's also lots of fun. I also love how ridiculous some of the stereotypes were, like the dude from Detroit.

All in all, a huge improvement over the first sequel but still nowhere near as good as the first film.
I saw it years ago. Thought it was alright, but I only like the first one. The only scene I really remember is the one in that gif you included.

I definitely think the first is miles above the first two sequels. I haven't seen the fourth yet.

It sounds like the sequels are at least worth watching.
Yeah, I would say they are, but don't expect much.

I had a feeling you would like Sleepaway Camp 3 more than the second one. I can see why you liked it more. I'm not sure which one I prefer. I kinda wish they had made more sequels with Pamela Springsteen's Angela.

Do you have any idea why you thought I'd like it more, or was it just a feeling?

Do you have any idea why you thought I'd like it more, or was it just a feeling?
When you said you liked the second movie mainly for the kills. You're right -- in the third movie, there's less plot, and it's more about Angela just walking around in the woods killing everybody. The second film spends more time trying to make Angela look like a goody-goody counselor to build that relationship she had going with Renee Estevez (the nice girl). The third film is darker. It's all about her trying to blend in with the other campers, and not get her identity caught by the dad of that guy she beheaded in Part 2. It focuses on the fact that Angela had recently murdered at that camp, while in the second film, the murders happened longer in the past and nobody was expecting it again.

Who needs plot when you have death by lawnmower decapitation.
That was very disappointing when I saw it played out. I had heard about it before I saw the movie. They cut the part where you actually see the lawnmower get her head, I believe.

I think she was supposed to have mowed over her head more than once, over and over.

That was very disappointing when I saw it played out. I had heard about it before I saw the movie. They cut the part where you actually see the lawnmower get her head, I believe.
It was, but the concept was cool. I was more disappointed by the truck-pulling-the-arms kill. That would have been great visually.

Alright, well, just, watch part 4. Return to Sleepaway Camp. I'm not crazy about it, but it's got people from the first movie and it's more like that movie than 2 & 3.

Sleepaway Camp 2 and Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter are the best in each series.
Disagreed about Sleepaway Camp 2, but you might be on to something about Final Chapter.

Never really watched any of the Sleepaway Camp movies, I'll make sure to check them out in the near future and give my own personal opinion on them.
I've also never been a fan of any of the F13th films, and especially the 2009 version, that one is absolutely horrid.

Cabin Fever -

(Travis Z, 2016)

[NEW WATCH]

A hugely awkward and cringe-y miscalculation. I don’t really care about the fact that it’s pointless, which seems to be everyone’s biggest criticism. It is, sure, and I’m not saying that criticism isn’t appropriate. But I think a remake can be pointless and still be good. I don’t hate remakes, just bad ones. My biggest problem with this one is how it took everything great about the original - notably the humor, oddness and immense personality - and completely removed it all in an attempt for a more straight, serious horror film. That’s not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, this isn’t the first time that’s been attempted, except that it’s practically word-for-word the same otherwise (with some important distinctions that did nothing to improve it). It’s just awkward seeing a scene play out almost exactly like the original except everything good about how it played out in Roth’s version is taken out. The characters here are these issues personified. Completely bland and stale versions of the original cast, reading the lines with no personality involved.

I’ve seen the original too many times to count, and am a big fan, which may have something to do with how noticeable all this was for me. I’m a big fan of Roth too, but his cinematic profile is not flawless. The first thing I ever disliked that he was involved in was The Green Inferno. Producing this might be an even bigger offense. He's still mah g though.