Damien Chazelle

Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
Probably could discuss him elsewhere.

Regardless I do think he's talented. Whiplash was brilliant and, though I haven't seen it, La La Land could be a big winner this year.

If he keeps it up I could see him as his generation's PT Anderson.

Why is this guy worthy of his own thread? I saw Whiplash and am still trying to place who this guy is.
He's as deserving of a thread as the million shows you create threads for that nobody watches. No offence but c'mon now.

Whiplash was pretty good but i felt i should have liked it much more than i did. Not sure what it was, well made film. Looking forward to La La Land.

Why is this guy worthy of his own thread? I saw Whiplash and am still trying to place who this guy is.
That's just ignorant.

I know you didn't like the film because it wasn't musically correct/realistic and for someone who knows music appearently this wasn't watchable. Fine.

But you can't just deny his skills as a director and act like he is a talentless wackjob. No, you didn't put it like that, but it's obvious your feelings got in the way of looking at his directing objectively. Hell, even subjectively, because how he chose to angle a certain plot and tell a story have nothing to do with how he directs.

I don't think Gideon was denying his skills as a director. I think he assumed he was an actor from it, and since couldn't remember him, figured he wasn't important.

I don't think Gideon was denying his skills as a director. I think he assumed he was an actor from it, and since couldn't remember him, figured he wasn't important.
Nah he damn well know who he is.

He and others (and I) had a big discussion on the movie a while back. No way he just "forgot" who he is. As stubborn of his opinion as he were (and that's naturally fine) he remembers.

If he keeps it up I could see him as his generation's PT Anderson.
Whooooooooa there buddy

I won't get to see La La Land until next week, but I loved Whiplash and hope he has a flurry of movies produced in the next decade. Here is what Oscar winning director William Friedkin (The French Connection) recently had to say about Chazelle...

"I’ve seen the future of American Cinema and his name is Damien Chazelle. At the age of thirty-one and on the basis of his last two feature films, he’s a master storyteller in total command of his craft and with an uncanny ability to surprise an audience, with each gesture, each moment, each frame. In an industry dominated by CGI, his films have a handmade quality and are not only unique as technical achievements with stunning visuals, but moving as an emotional experience as well. That’s a rare combination today. His direction of actors is so skilled it’s invisible, as his actors seem inseparable from their roles. Whiplash is a drama with music and La La Land, while it reminds us of the classic musicals of the past, is a totally original and relevant work for our time. By the way, and most important, these movies are filled with fun and joy. He’s been compared to Jacques Demy and Vincente Minnelli, two brilliant filmmakers to be compared to, but to me, his films are incomparable. He’s not simply a brilliant filmmaker, he happens to be a warm, modest, and engaging person with genuine humility. I mention this because these are rare traits among genius. Whatever the future of American cinema, whatever forms it takes, Damien Chazelle will be a major force in shaping it."

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I won't get to see La La Land until next week, but I loved Whiplash and hope he has a flurry of movies produced in the next decade. Here is what Oscar winning director William Friedkin (The French Connection) recently had to say about Chazelle...

Thank you. That's a lovely quote. High praise for Chazelle.

I'm astounded that someone so relatively young can have that grasp on how to write dialogue that engages the viewer so intently. Then direct it as well. The guy has the potential to be very, very important.

I'm seeing La la Land this afternoon. Sooooo excited.
Looking forward to reading your opinion! I'll personally have to wait until the end of January here in Belgium, unfortunately.

This made me like him a bit more. Maybe because I can relate to his nervousness, which is obvious here and he talks about it.

I liked Whiplash a lot and I'm looking forward to La La Land. If I like La La Land then I'll consider myself an official fan of his; usually 2 films is a good enough assessment for me, just so I know for sure that they aren't one hit wonders.

That's just ignorant.

I know you didn't like the film because it wasn't musically correct/realistic and for someone who knows music appearently this wasn't watchable. Fine.

But you can't just deny his skills as a director and act like he is a talentless wackjob. No, you didn't put it like that, but it's obvious your feelings got in the way of looking at his directing objectively. Hell, even subjectively, because how he chose to angle a certain plot and tell a story have nothing to do with how he directs.
I didn't realize he directed the film, my bad. And I never said the film wasn't watchable, you need to re-read my review.

To anyone who has seen La La Land, I need input on one scene. It may make or break this film for me.

WARNING: "Scene" spoilers below
My two favorite musical genres are jazz and electronic music.

So that scene in the recording studio, blending the two, should have been sweet nectar for me. Unfortunately, when he pressed the pad controller it obviously sounded like crap, like it was mocking electronic music. So, is this movie anti-electronic music? If so, that really irks me. After this scene, I started wondering if the movie was anti-modern, and I really hope that's just me overthinking things.

Hopefully someone can give me some perspective. The scene felt confused to me because employed the electronic music, and it sounded like it was mocking electronic music... then after he talks to Gosling about how music is all about being progressive and embracing the new. Which is 100% true.

Then he joins the band, which causes things to fall apart for him.

So WTF is Chazelle trying to say?

Master of My Domain
To anyone who has seen La La Land, I need input on one scene. It may make or break this film for me.

WARNING: "Scene" spoilers below
My two favorite musical genres are jazz and electronic music.

So that scene in the recording studio, blending the two, should have been sweet nectar for me. Unfortunately, when he pressed the pad controller it obviously sounded like crap, like it was mocking electronic music. So, is this movie anti-electronic music? If so, that really irks me. After this scene, I started wondering if the movie was anti-modern, and I really hope that's just me overthinking things.

Hopefully someone can give me some perspective. The scene felt confused to me because employed the electronic music, and it sounded like it was mocking electronic music... then after he talks to Gosling about how music is all about being progressive and embracing the new. Which is 100% true.

Then he joins the band, which causes things to fall apart for him.

So WTF is Chazelle trying to say?
WARNING: "My analysis" spoilers below
I think the pad controller sounded like crap being Gosling's character at first wasn't used to playing with it, then at the concert it sounded great.

He joins the band and things fall apart, but that's because the relationship between the two becomes more and more weak as a result, not because he joined an electronic jazz band. In the end, the two support each other's dreams, so no, I don't think Chazelle is anti-modern at all.

didn't see La La Land yet but Whiplash is just too good, My favorite movie of the decade so far and by far.

That's an interesting and fair point, Gatsby. Unfortunately, while the film was dazzling me while watching it, it's falling into mediocrity for me upon reflection.

Master of My Domain
But can't we agree that Emma Stone is still dazzling even after reflection?