The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Movies

→ in
Tools    

No. I'm not a fan of any comic book films that qualify. The only actual comic book film that I consider myself a fan of is Ghost World and that's certainly not Science Fiction.

I may include The Incredibles if the verdict is yes.

I came up with a list of 25 that doesn't include any super-hero or Star Wars films. Not saying anything about those that want to put those on their list, it just doesn't feel right for me. There is a handful I want to see, so hopefully my list will be solid. I don't love everything on my list, never considered myself a sci-fi lover, but everything I have listed so far has definitely stuck with me for a long period of time. I think atmosphere is really important in these types of films and most of my list feels like film makers with very unique visions. Of course there will be one Kauffman film. Eternal Sunshine feels more high concept than hard sci-fi, and I think a couple others of mine will fall into that category. Still no denying they are sci-fi by strict definition.

I came up with a list of 25 that doesn't include any super-hero or Star Wars films. Not saying anything about those that want to put those on their list, it just doesn't feel right for me. There is a handful I want to see, so hopefully my list will be solid. I don't love everything on my list, never considered myself a sci-fi lover, but everything I have listed so far has definitely stuck with me for a long period of time. I think atmosphere is really important in these types of films and most of my list feels like film makers with very unique visions. Of course there will be one Kauffman film. Eternal Sunshine feels more high concept than hard sci-fi, and I think a couple others of mine will fall into that category. Still no denying they are sci-fi by strict definition.

I've whittled my 200+ to 75 now. I still got Star Wars in there, but the rest is hardcore sci-fi, and no superhero stuff.
What I might do is make 3 lists from what I have left, and then whittle down from there until I get to 25.

This is gonna take forever.

I've whittled my 200+ to 75 now. I still got Star Wars in there, but the rest is hardcore sci-fi, and no superhero stuff.
What I might do is make 3 lists from what I have left, and then whittle down from there until I get to 25.

This is gonna take forever.
I thought of you a couple times going through the IMDB most popular list. I thought Rodent must be loving that we are doing this list.

This is going to be the first countdown where there are more films I want to vote for than the amount of room I have on my list...

Damn that was soooooooo painful...

I ended up making 4 lists.
Classic, cheesy, one based on my top 100 favourites... each of them with 25 different movies... and then... a finalised one.

And I have sent it in!!!!!
Knew I could do it.

Addition... no surprise but I have no superhero movies in my list...

... and... shocker... not a single Star Wars movie either

My list is sent in and done. I have no regrets and look forward too the new year. I think my list covers what it can cover where you cover all areas but there is no anime in mine or cartoons.

Some movies I want to see if qualify-

A Clockwork Orange: Listed as Sci-Fi on IMDb and is on the existing Sci-Fi list. I've never actually thought of it that way.

Strange Days: Not listed as Sci-Fi on IMDb, but is on Wikipedia, and is also on existing list.

The Hidden: Not on IMDb but is on Wikipedia. My opinion is that it easily qualifies.

While we're at it, would anything on the existing Sci-Fi list automatically qualify?

Welcome to the human race...
So we'll end up duplicating half of an existing list just because you can't function without IMDb?
No, we'll end up duplicating half of an existing list because we already have a SF-themed MoFo list (and I imagine there will be considerable overlap).

No, we'll end up duplicating half of an existing list because we already have a SF-themed MoFo list (and I imagine there will be considerable overlap).
Yeah, but that list wasn't created by the forum.

Some movies I want to see if qualify-

A Clockwork Orange: Listed as Sci-Fi on IMDb and is on the existing Sci-Fi list. I've never actually thought of it that way.

Strange Days: Not listed as Sci-Fi on IMDb, but is on Wikipedia, and is also on existing list.

The Hidden: Not on IMDb but is on Wikipedia. My opinion is that it easily qualifies.

While we're at it, would anything on the existing Sci-Fi list automatically qualify?
Strange Days is certainly Sci-Fi. I noticed some time ago that if you scroll down on the IMDB page to where it says Genre: there's a more detailed list. Strange Days says this:
Strange Days, Genres: Action | Crime | Drama | Sci-Fi | Thriller

My list is sent in and done. I have no regrets and look forward too the new year. I think my list covers what it can cover where you cover all areas but there is no anime in mine or cartoons.
Why the rush Ned? I bet I could recommend some choice sci fi that you haven't seen.

Yeah, I generally think of it as more of a dystopian film like Nineteen Eighty-Four... which is also listed as sci-fi on IMDb.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
In my opinion neither The Incredibles nor Edward Scissorhands should count.

Suspect's Reviews