All-Time Worst Oscar Snubs

Tools    

*clears throat.

HOW THE HELL DID SPOTLIGHT WIN BEST PICTURE!!!!!!!!
Because of its subject... that's it.

For me, the subject is what gave it that last push to the win. The movie was extremely straight-forward and the total and complete opposite of subjective and fancy in its filmmaking and storytelling. Alas, that is a great way to put focus on the story and not overcrowd the importance of that, but as a movie I don't see how it was so extremely well crafted that it could win the Best Picture category.

It's not about the subject, it's how the subject is being told cinematically... So excuse my obvious exaggeration, but F*CKING BLAND is not a way of telling a story that makes me go "oh, bravo".

Even Lieb Schrieber himself said, when asked why Spotlight should win, that it should because of how important it was. Ugh.

...Excuse me while I go out to make a movie that combines the story of the tsunami in Thailand, 9/11, first and second world war, hell, ALL huge wars we ever had, and pretty much just documents them and puts them to film. Bam! OSCAR TO ME.

well, it's not like i care much about oscar (tho' it's pretty fun to talk about). pretty much tarkovsky is the one, if not the greatest sin, ever committed by the academy, until now. well lot of consideration like his own problem with soviet authority etc, but still... lol *and his "idol" ingmar bergman too smh
Fair enough on Tarkovsky but uh... Bergman won 4 Oscars. A lifetime achievement award and 3 Best Foreign Language Oscars for The Virgin Spring, Through A Glass Darkly and Fanny & Alexander. He was also nominated a further 9 times, five times for Best Screenplay, three times for Best Director and once for Best Picture all of which non-english directors almost never get nominated for. So it's a bit difficult to call him snubbed when he did much better than people like Hitchcock and Chaplin who were regularly working in Hollywood.

This might just do nobody any good.
It was the most Oscar-y movie in contention
Check that, Bridge of Spies was the most Oscar-y movie in contention. Spielberg, Hanks, courtroom/wartime drama... Oscar bait (as much as I dislike the term).

Yes to Brooklyn. Room was good but not great. Big Short was awful. And I haven't seen the others yet.
You got to get on Fury Road.

Only going from the nominees that year, there's probably movies or performances that weren't nominated that i prefer.

Star Wars for Best Picture
The only other nominee i've seen is Annie Hall so from that i'd agree.

Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor for Schindler's List
Can't say haven't seen it yet.

Saving Private Ryan for Best Picture
Nah. The only other nominee i've seen that year is The Thin Red Line and i much prefer that, there's also other 1998 films i'd prefer.

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith for Best Visual Effects
Sure, why not.

John Williams for best musical score for Saving Private Ryan, Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Again, sure why not. Not really something i feel passionate about.

Robert Shaw for Best Supporting Actor for Jaws
Good performance but nah. I'd have Dourif over him from the nominees i've seen that year.

Alicia Vikander for Best Supporting Actress for Ex Machina
Haven't seen her performance she won for so i don't know if she was better in this, but yeah she was great. So was Rooney Mara in Carol so either of those are fine with me.

Sean Bean as Boromir for best supporting actor in Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
No chance. He was decent, that's it. Ben Kingsley for Sexy Beast that year. Not seen Iris but all of the other nominees over Bean no question.

Trevor Jones and Randy Edelman for best musical score for The Last of the Mohicans
Sure, why not.

Wes Studi for Best Supporting Actor as Magua in The Last of the Mohicans
Nah, Hackman was better.

Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber for Best Supporting Actor in Die Hard
I agree. Kline was good in A Fish Called Wanda but Rickman was better in my opinion.

This might just do nobody any good.
I thought Wanda was pretty forgettable. Always surprised to see it rank among the best of the 80s.

So what do you guys think of my list?
Gonna be honest, most of those are pretty middle of the road picks, at least in my opinion. I mean, Sean Bean for LotR? He wasn't even the best supporting actor in that movie. Not even third, I think.

And Alan Rickman has had WAY better performances than Hans Gruber.

On acting snubs: Oscar Isaac in Inside Llewyn Davis. He turns one of the most unlikeable, selfish characters into an endearing one all the while he shows some serious movie star talent by singing his own songs and commanding a movie that also features Carey Mulligan, John Goodman and F. Murray Abraham.

When I say mine, know that everyone has opinions and mine probably differ from everyone else's:

1977: Star Wars lost to Annie Hall? What a joke.

1997: Any film for BP over Titanic, please.
I totally agree with both of these...as much as Titanic winning was pretty much a given, personally I think the Best Picture of 1997 was LA Confidential.

I'm probably going to catch hell for this, but I don't see why Gladiator took down Best Picture and Best Actor (Russell Crowe) in 2000. It's a fun movie, to be sure. But I thought the more zeitgeist-y Erin Brokovich and Traffic were both better films.
No hell from me...Traffic should have won that Oscar.

well, it's not like i care much about oscar (tho' it's pretty fun to talk about). pretty much tarkovsky is the one, if not the greatest sin, ever committed by the academy, until now. well lot of consideration like his own problem with soviet authority etc, but still... lol *and his "idol" ingmar bergman too smh
Fair enough on Tarkovsky but uh... Bergman won 4 Oscars. A lifetime achievement award and 3 Best Foreign Language Oscars for The Virgin Spring, Through A Glass Darkly and Fanny & Alexander. He was also nominated a further 9 times, five times for Best Screenplay, three times for Best Director and once for Best Picture all of which non-english directors almost never get nominated for. So it's a bit difficult to call him snubbed when he did much better than people like Hitchcock and Chaplin who were regularly working in Hollywood.
wait, weren't he just being nominated? The other won is his crew member ?
*just check imdb he indeed won a honorary tho' , my bad

Wiki says:

Unlike other Academy Awards, the Best Foreign Language Film Award is not presented to a specific individual. It is accepted by the winning film's director, but is considered an award for the submitting country as a whole.
So it counts as Swedens win but i still count them as his since they were his films and he accepted the award. And again he was nominated a further nine time for awards that directors who make films not in english are rarely nominated for; he's a far cry from being snubbed.

I don't think foreign directors fit here since the awards are typically given out to english language films. It would be like saying Spielberg has been snubbed by the Cesar Awards when that is the French Film Awards. Of course the Academy do nominate non english films for awards but it is really unofficially the english language film awards: mostly american with britain getting decent representation.

Wiki says:
Unlike other Academy Awards, the Best Foreign Language Film Award is not presented to a specific individual. It is accepted by the winning film's director, but is considered an award for the submitting country as a whole.
So it counts as Swedens win but i still count them as his since they were his films and he accepted the award. And again he was nominated a further nine time for awards that directors who make films not in english are rarely nominated for;
owh that's the point. Well I talked in context of "award to person" personally so I don't consider that was his.
he's a far cry from being snubbed.
I don't think foreign directors fit here since the awards are typically given out to english language films. It would be like saying Spielberg has been snubbed by the Cesar Awards when that is the French Film Awards. Of course the Academy do nominate non english films for awards but it is really unofficially the english language film awards: mostly american with britain getting decent representation.
well you have point that eventho' the academy have big international appeal it could be biased for solely american-related, and vice versa with other award-based nation. but guys that's menacing craftmanship just like him, and then being just nominated is kinda sounded disappointed if that not the same feel as snubbed.

Well either way he wasn't snubbed. He was awarded a lifetime achievement award, three of his films won best foreign film and he was nominated a further nine times.

Truth be told, the academy seem to be one of the better national award shows for awarding foreign language films.

Well either way he wasn't snubbed. He was awarded a lifetime achievement award, three of his films won best foreign film and he was nominated a further nine times.
yup he got one personally for life achievement award he was totally not snubbed as I thought in the first place. But I don't think being nominated for his movie or even won best foreign could be represent his as whole like I said in meet my context in the first place. if he not won that lifetime I still consider he as snubbed nothing change as a person in the name he got director nod on fanny alexander as well.

Truth be told, the academy seem to be one of the better national award shows for awarding foreign language films.
almost every nation that have cinema industry have submissions into it, and well yeah "oscar", eventho' it murica's stuff was certainly have the highest standard for movies in ppl mindset, internationally. But as it appeal goes there must be at some extent where certain foreign works could be so menacing for not only nominate only in one of it legit category.

But I don't think being nominated for his movie or even won best foreign could be represent his as whole like I said in meet my context in the first place.
This makes no sense to me. It was his movie, Bergman directed it and that was what the Academy awarded for three times; they didn't award it to the nation of Sweden for their input of the film, that's just how they recognize it. I think it has alot to do with the application process as every country only picks one film as their nominee.

almost every nation that have cinema industry have submissions into it, and well yeah "oscar", eventho' it murica's stuff was certainly have the highest standard for movies in ppl mindset, internationally. But as it appeal goes there must be at some extent where certain foreign works could be so menacing for not only nominate only in one of it legit category.
If i'm understanding you correctly here then i agree but you seem to be holding the academy up to a higher standard than any other national awards shows. Every other countries awards as far as i'm aware awards a best international award and doesn't nominate foreign films/directors/actors for their regular awards. Seems like the Baftas and Oscars are the only ones to do this which kind of defeats your problem. I can't find any non French Film to win or even be nominated for best film at the Cesar Awards unless it is a co production between France and somewhere else, unless i missed it, same with Directors. While in recent history The Academy has nominated Amour and Crouching Tiger for instance for Best Picture. While they don't award these films The Oscars and Baftas seem to be the only ones to even nominate. I looked at Spain's Goya Awards and Mexico's Ariel Awards and they seem to be the same as France i.e behind the academy/baftas.

I'm not even defending The Academy here i'm just saying it's the same everywhere else and they actually seem to be ahead of just about every where else concerning this so it is a really weird thing to have a gripe with.

But I don't think being nominated for his movie or even won best foreign could be represent his as whole like I said in meet my context in the first place.
This makes no sense to me. It was his movie, Bergman directed it and that was what the Academy awarded for three times; they didn't award it to the nation of Sweden for their input of the film, that's just how they recognize it.
lol, it was a deadlock for me if that what you said if it can't make any sense for you. Well lastly, like I said it just his name is not attached on it personally. Foreign film didn't have that ain't it? And didnot show in some db as well.

If i'm understanding you correctly here then i agree but you seem to be holding the academy up to a higher standard than any other national awards shows.
Every other countries awards as far as i'm aware awards a best international award and doesn't nominate foreign films/directors/actors for their regular awards. Seems like the Baftas and Oscars are the only ones to do this which kind of defeats your problem. I can't find any non French Film to win or even be nominated for best film at the Cesar Awards unless it is a co production between France and somewhere else, unless i missed it, same with Directors. While in recent history The Academy has nominated Amour and Crouching Tiger for instance for Best Picture. While they don't award these films The Oscars and Baftas seem to be the only ones to even nominate. I looked at Spain's Goya Awards and Mexico's Ariel Awards and they seem to be the same as France i.e behind the academy/baftas.

I'm not even defending The Academy here i'm just saying it's the same everywhere else and they actually seem to be ahead of just about every where else concerning this so it is a really weird thing to have a gripe with.
well if you live outside america, europe any first world probably that what you tho' about it(oscar). I certainly aware about other awards as well but still in my point of view oscar is do that more well and many people here still high regarded oscar like somekind of supreme award abroad for whatever it is(just like ppl thought to whole U.S as well).
I'm not attacking academy or trying to do PC non sense there. Just stated that some of foreign (like amelie, fanny alexander, crouching tiger etc) could be high regarded and menacing in academy voter views and that why they got some other nod there. I'm not sayin' they must won or other awards must do the same.

I just wiki-ing it lol:
"Unlike other Academy Awards, the Best Foreign Language Film Award is not presented to a specific individual. It is accepted by the winning film's director, but is considered an award for the submitting country as a whole."