All-Time Worst Oscar Snubs

Tools    

Any film that lost to Crash got snubbed.
Agreed.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Am I the only one that saw The Artist as pretentious and not deserving of Best Picture, I thought War Horse, The Help, and Hugo were all much better films.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
1952 - Brando got snubbed for "Streetcar"

1975 - Gena Rowlands got snubbed on "A Woman Under The Influence" (even the audience cheered like hell. There's video on youtube, you can read her lips saying "Oh $hit"

1976 - Best year for movies, but Rocky (a good movie) wasn't even a Top 5 - Network, Taxi Driver, Next Stop Greenwich Village, Outlaw Josey Wales, etc etc..

“Hell will hold no surprises for you.”
Just listing snubs for the biggest categories since those are the ones I care about the most.

Best Actor
- Orson Welles not winning for Citizen Kane in 1941
- Either Nicholson for Chinatown or Pacino for Godfather Part II in 1974
- Denzel for American Gangster not even getting a nod
- Peter Sellers not winning for Dr. Strangelove in 1964

Best Supporting Actor
- Al Pacino for The Godfather, by far the best of that years nominees
- William H. Macy for Fargo

Best Actress
- Cate Blanchett for Elizabeth
- Judi Dench for Iris and Philomena

Best Supporting Actress
- Julianne Moore for Boogie Nights

Best Director
- Carol Reed for The Third Man
- Elia Kazan for A Streetcar Named Desire
- Federico Fellini for 8½
- Francis Ford Coppola for The Godfather and Apocalypse Now
- Martin Scorsese for Goodfellas
- Joel Coen for Fargo
- Peter Jackson not even nominated for The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Best Picture
- It's a Wonderful Life for 1946
- Sunset Boulevard for 1950
- The Ten Commandments for 1956
- Dr. Strangelove for 1964
- The Lion in Winter for 1968
- Goodfellas for 1990
- Fargo for 1996
- Saving Private Ryan for 1998
- Good Night, and Good Luck for 2005

Just listing snubs for the biggest categories since those are the ones I care about the most.

Best Actor
- Orson Welles not winning for Citizen Kane in 1941
- Either Nicholson for Chinatown or Pacino for Godfather Part II in 1974
- Denzel for American Gangster not even getting a nod
- Peter Sellers not winning for Dr. Strangelove in 1964

Best Supporting Actor
- Al Pacino for The Godfather, by far the best of that years nominees
- William H. Macy for Fargo

Best Actress
- Cate Blanchett for Elizabeth
- Judi Dench for Iris and Philomena

Best Supporting Actress
- Julianne Moore for Boogie Nights

Best Director
- Carol Reed for The Third Man
- Elia Kazan for A Streetcar Named Desire
- Federico Fellini for 8½
- Francis Ford Coppola for The Godfather and Apocalypse Now
- Martin Scorsese for Goodfellas
- Joel Coen for Fargo
- Peter Jackson not even nominated for The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Best Picture
- It's a Wonderful Life for 1946
- Sunset Boulevard for 1950
- The Ten Commandments for 1956
- Dr. Strangelove for 1964
- The Lion in Winter for 1968
- Goodfellas for 1990
- Fargo for 1996
- Saving Private Ryan for 1998
- Good Night, and Good Luck for 2005
I agree with you regarding Pacino for the first Godfather. Personally, I think he lost because he was in the wrong category. I disagree regarding Washington in American Gangster...he's given a half dozen better performances. I do agree regarding Moore in Boogie Nights...she was robbed big time. I also agree with you regarding Kazan, Scorsese, Peter Sellers, and Goodfellas. I think Copolla's biggest snub was for The Conversation.

1952 - Brando got snubbed for "Streetcar"

1975 - Gena Rowlands got snubbed on "A Woman Under The Influence" (even the audience cheered like hell. There's video on youtube, you can read her lips saying "Oh $hit"

1976 - Best year for movies, but Rocky (a good movie) wasn't even a Top 5 - Network, Taxi Driver, Next Stop Greenwich Village, Outlaw Josey Wales, etc etc..
Totally agree regarding Rocky...for my money, Network was the Best Picture of 1976.

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
Here's a couple more:

2005: Zhang Ziyi should've won Best Actress for Memoirs of a Geisha.

Also 2005: Star Wars Episode III only got a nom for Makeup?!? Really?!? I'd say nominations to VFX, Sound Editing, and Sound Mixing, at least. I personally would add Score as well.

Tom Cruise for Magnolia that year IMO.
Definitely my favorite Tom Cruise role.

In regards to missing out on a nom, there are a loads I feel were left out wrongly. But the ones I feel more strongly about would probably be:

Maggie Cheung - In the Mood for Love
Tony Leung - In the Mood for Love
Zhang Ziyi - Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, House of Flying Daggers, 2046
Virna Lisi - La Reine Margot
Isabelle Adjani - La Reine Margot
Lina Leandersson - Let the Right One In

I know these are all foreign language films, but considering foreign language performances have won Oscars before, and these films were hardly obscure ones that were all nominated at the Oscars, Globes or BAFTAs (except 2046), I feel like it was a missed opportunity to give them some recognition.
As for English language ones:

Joan Bennett - Scarlet Street
Edward G. Robinson - Scarlet Street
Talia Shire - The Godfather
Scarlett Johansson - Lost in Translation
Diane Kruger - Inglourious Basterds
Tilda Swinton - We Need to Talk About Kevin
I think Shire deserved her nomination for Rocky, but I don't think her role in The Godfather was significant enough to earn a nomination, maybe her role in Godfather 2, for which she did get nominated, if memory serves. On the subject of Edward G. Robinson, he was snubbed for Soylent Green.

When I saw this the film that immediately came to mind was Under the Skin. To my knowledge it wasn't nominated for any kind of award, Oscars or otherwise, so I'd count that as a big snub.

Scarlett Johansson should have got some recognition, and I think also the music and visual effects were worth serious consideration too.

I've just read a short quote from Bruce Willis where he said that you don't get an Oscar for comedies or shooting people, and you can usually add science fiction to those.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
With Oscar season right around the corner, I thought it would be a good idea to dig up this old thread.

This might just do nobody any good.
*clears throat.

HOW THE HELL DID SPOTLIGHT WIN BEST PICTURE!!!!!!!!

'cause it was a thoughtful film on a delicate subject that, often, goes underestimated and also featured some of the best low-key* ensamble acting and subtle direction of that year?

I mean, sure, 2015 had stiff competition but I don't see Spotlight as undeserving. It was the most Oscar-y movie in contention but far from the weak link.

*Ruffalo sucked.

This might just do nobody any good.
Because nothing else stood out.
Okay, I call bull on this. Fury Road. Brooklyn. Room. Big Short. Revenant. All stand outs that would have won in a lesser year.

Star Wars for Best Picture

Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor for Schindler's List

Saving Private Ryan for Best Picture

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith for Best Visual Effects

John Williams for best musical score for Saving Private Ryan, Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Robert Shaw for Best Supporting Actor for Jaws

Alicia Vikander for Best Supporting Actress for Ex Machina

Sean Bean as Boromir for best supporting actor in Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Trevor Jones and Randy Edelman for best musical score for The Last of the Mohicans

Wes Studi for Best Supporting Actor as Magua in The Last of the Mohicans

Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber for Best Supporting Actor in Die Hard

the list goes on.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Okay, I call bull on this. Fury Road. Brooklyn. Room. Big Short. Revenant. All stand outs that would have won in a lesser year.
Yes to Brooklyn. Room was good but not great. Big Short was awful. And I haven't seen the others yet.

well, it's not like i care much about oscar (tho' it's pretty fun to talk about). pretty much tarkovsky is the one, if not the greatest sin, ever committed by the academy, until now. well lot of consideration like his own problem with soviet authority etc, but still... lol *and his "idol" ingmar bergman too smh