Zotis' Top 100 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

I saw Tron, Willow, and Predator at the movies when they came out. I loved the latter two and have seen them multiple times since. Starship Troopers was just ok for me but I'd like to see it again.

Master of My Domain
Yay, Starship Troopers, rest of the sci-fi films are mediocre though.

I know many who have liked this movie but i always thought it was one of the worst sci fi films i had ever seen. Maybe would have liked it better if left out some of the propaganda scenes in the movie.

Solid list so far Zotis!! I'll following it

Sansho the Bailiff

(1954) Drama

Directed by Kenji Mizoguchi
Written by Fuji Yahiro and Yoshikata Yoda
Starring Kyoko Kagawa, Yoshiaki Hanayagi, Eitaro Shindo, Kinuyo Tanaka, and Akitake Kono

I have always had an affinity for Japanese cinema, and this movie is a masterpiece. It's yet another example of why I don't lower my standards for old movies, and why I advocate that old movies are just as good as modern movies if not better. A lot of people think that old movies are cheesy, and if I think those people have any sense I'll direct them to movies like Sansho the Bailiff. I would like to explore Mizoguchi more. He's an excellent director. This movie is very potent emotionally and demonstrates an incredible level of understanding and depth of insight into life's greater meaning. When I think of the suffering that some people have gone through it makes my own troubles seem trivial, and it fills me with sorrow that I've wasted so much time pursuing things that are of no real value. The cinematography is gorgeous.

Avalon

(2001) Sci-fi/Drama/Action

Directed by Mamoru Oshii
Written by Kazunori Ito
Starring Malgorzata Foremniak, Jerzy Gudejko, Dariusz Biskupski, Bartlomiej Swiderski, and Wladyslaw Kowalski

It's common knowledge now that The Matrix was influenced by Masanori Ota (A.K.A. Masamune Shirow), author of the Ghost in the Shell manga. Oshii directed the Ghost in the Shell movie back in 1995 based on Ota's original work, so it's obvious where a lot of his ideas for Avalon were borrowed from. However, there is still one element about the nature of reality that clearly is borrowed from The Matrix, but Oshii does have an interesting take on it. I won't spoil it, but hopefully people who've seen the movie will understand what I'm getting at.

The first time I tried to watch this movie I was put off by some elements. It's hard to put my finger on exactly what it was. Apparently the movie was made with an eight million dollar budget according to IMDB, but it does give me some low budget vibes from language issues and the special effects. It's set in the future, but the futuristic technology has low-tech elements, all of the weapons and vehicles are modern, and it's mostly shot in a town in Poland with no futuristic buildings or environments. In hind sight I learned that the North American release has added subtitles and English dubbed dialogue to explain more of the story, but in the original language that stuff isn't there. So at first the way the subtitles weren't matching up with the Polish language got me very confused and I ended up watching the English dub, which made my first viewing less than ideal. The things that really captivated me though, even back then, were the atmosphere, philosophy, characters, acting, story, and cinematography. It was a beautiful movie despite the awkwardness that I felt. In more recent years I grew to appreciate it more. I watched it in the original language (the English voice acting wasn't as good), but was still surprised to see scenes with English subtitles where there was nothing but silence. Only recently did I learn that the European and Japanese releases didn't have those subtitles, and it was only my North American DVD that had them. The language confusion, and the lack of futuristic elements are an insignificant drawback compared to how beautiful this movie is. Although it didn't win any awards at Cannes it did win awards at other festivals.

Well the sci-fi elements are pretty low key, and it's really more of a drama. You should give it a shot and see how you feel.

Edit: The mystery elements are really interesting too.

I know I've seen Predator at some point (my brother loved it when we were kids) but I remember almost nothing about it. I loved Willow when I was little, but I tried rewatching it as an adult and hated it. Haven't seen the rest.

Don't Look for Me

(2004) Drama/Crime

Directed by Tilman Zens
Written by Alex Buresch
Starring Lea Mornan, Udo Schenk, and Stripe Erceg

Don't Look for Me is an emotional drama revolving around a female assassin, but it's really about love, fear, death, suicide, and life. I was browsing a video store one day and this movie caught my eye. I really knew nothing about it going into it, and I've never heard anyone mention it since. It's very well shot, the acting is excellent, and the story is intreaguing. It's got that artistic European vibe to it, so if you're interested in those kind of movies then I highly recommend checking it out.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Is that movie French Zotis? I don't remember the name of it, but the plot sounds like something I saw in film studies. Still jealous you have video stores

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
You live in Ontario if I remember correctly? If it's near the GTA I can definitley see that being the truth, I'm originally from out there and visit from time to time and that place has a bigger niche for that sort of thing. Now I live in Hellberta and we used to be able to rent VHS and DVD from gas stations and corner stores, now we don't even have a chain store left. One of the last places closed shop about 6 months before I came back here, and it would have been 3 blocks away.