The Diet Thread

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
This has protein and fat in it, and has been designed specifically for astronauts in mind so maybe would be good for antarctic expeditions and high altitude mountaineering, extreme rock climbing etc where weight is a very serious issue. Saw this in trending news on FB yesterday so it must be true!

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...ntent=20180203

I'm going to add a visit to a nutritionist / dietician. I don't trust much stuff on the internet, when you look up one thing and get 5 different answers.
Sorry if this is obvious but be careful who you go to, you don't want to go near anyone with the title - 'Nutritionist', 'Qualified Nutritionist' or 'Nutritional Therapist'(most of the ****e that appears in health food blogs go by these type of titles, and you can more or less call yourself any of the three without any qualifications/degrees and so on and give 'advice', advice even to people with medical problems...).

Outside of your Doctor, the only person you really want to see when it comes to diets/food health is a Registered Nutritionist or of course a Dietitian like you mentioned. Or whatever the official registered term is in your country.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Thanks for the heads-up.

I'm sure I will go to whoever the insurance will approve.

Well, today's the day. Three years. Here's the post the day after I started.

I tied my all-time low yesterday, which was very surprising. I wasn't even sure if I was going to end up lower than last year on the same day, but somehow it happened. That crazy steep incline at the end is from December 27th to now.

I'll celebrate a tiny bit, but not too much. Gonna (mostly) keep at it until I can duck under 170. Goal is to basically spend all year below 180, and hopefully to find a steadier week-to-week routine. But today, just gonna enjoy it a little bit.

Wow, impressive weight loss @Yoda. In your first post you were 245 & you wanted to lose 25 three years ago. But in actual fact you lost 70.

Yeah, one thing I felt kinda lucky on is that every time I hit a goal, I was close enough to another one that it started to snowball. Losing 25 put me another 20 from 200, and then I had a trip to Seattle to meet a bunch of SpyParty friends for the first time, so I went for another 5 so I'd have lost an even 50, and then I was in sight of the one-year mark and had seen lots of benefits in softball, and so on.

Very commendable. What was it that put the weight on you in the first place? Always good to look back at the pitfalls.

Very commendable. What was it that put the weight on you in the first place? Always good to look back at the pitfalls.
I wrote a bunch about weight stuff about a year and a half ago, if you're curious about the ups and downs. Short version is that my family has always struggled with weight, and I just gained very steadily after I met my wife. I like to "celebrate" with food and being in a stable, long-term relationship with someone made it harder to resist just eating fun stuff and watching things together a lot. I let a lot of the things I enjoy become psychologically linked, and it took a lot of effort to learn to enjoy a lot of things without eating something bad simultaneously.

So it’s the fault of the missus?

Will definitely read the link when I have more time. I love reading stuff like that.

@Yoda, I read the link. Great story. As a very young tall & slim woman I looked in the mirror one day & decided I was fat. (I wasn’t.) Thus began 15 years of severe eating disorders. Eventually overcame those, but still always worry that I will over-eat. Interesting your take on exercise. Walking daily has been the best thing for me. And becoming a vegetarian. And not drinking alcohol. Thanks for sharing & congratulations on setting a goal & more than achieving it.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I fell off the wagon and spent $15 at Sonic last night. Further compounded by the fact I had to wait a minute for every dollar I spent.

no suitable Augustus Gloop gifs availabe at time of posting

I don't know what I enjoyed more, the food or watching a motley crew of 17 year olds in the weeds trying to make it.

@Yoda

All seriousness. That is really admirable man. What a great job and inspiration for people. It can be done with determination and persistence.

I often try to think of how our culture shapes major events around food. How will I celebrate holidays and birthdays in the future? Whipping out a vegetable tray and tub of hummus just doesn't flip the same switch. I suppose planning more activities during events is a part, but food is like alcohol. It is a social lubrication that we seem genetically programmed to respond too.

What do you mean you don't want a birthday cake?

p.e.

After a conversation with the owner-operator, I now have a $15 credit at Sonic. Looks like I will be heading back down a dark path sometime in the near future.

Who remembers SUSAN POWTER?

Just found a copy of her book --
STOP THE INSANITY!!!!!!!!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Susan.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	50749   Click image for larger version

Name:	FP.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	291.4 KB