The Stanley Kubrick Appreciation Thread!!!

Tools    

Anyone that has questions on 2001: A Space Odyssey on what it means or what Stanley what was trying to show us check this link out! It makes you almost believe....... It explains everything short and sweet I suggest watch the movie first then http://www.kubrick2001.com/

mikeython1, gotta love your tenacity in voicing your admiration for Kubrick and his best film, the best film ever made, 2001: A Space Odyssey. Unfortunately some people will never get it, and will never like his films, or at least appreciate them on the level that we do. Ah well, post on mikey, post on.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Dr. Strange love - might have to see this again can't remember it much

A Clockwork Orange

The Shining

Full Metal Jacket

Eyes Wide Shut

It's a shame he is so highly regarded , his films are overly simplistic with some symbolism thrown in - his movies sometimes have a really interesting moment , but they never work as a whole.
Hey Meatwadsprite I don't know if you noticed but this is a Appreciation Thread so if you don't want to appreciate don't post here!I respect your opinion but please respect me and post elsewhere! I hope your not mad but I really like Kubrick!

A lot of Kubrick threads on here so I just picked this one. I know everyone doesnt enjoy Kubrick but I wanted to through a few things out there for those who like to discuss a director that could possibly be described as the most loved and hated director in history. I believe that is in part because he was a director that was able to direct movies on his terms (something most likely impossible these days).

Some of his movies were meant to be shocking and others were meant to make you think. I believe the shocking-horror/so-called wierd movies (I think we know which ones these are) were a part of a director/artist going through experimental phases. And I think thats just part of being an artist (musicians, writers, etc.). Some were good, some were strange, but they were mostly there to make your skin crawl (and it worked). But he started out as a documentary filmmaker. And it seems to me at least, that a lot of his films are not as much about hidden meanings/twisted plots, but on the contrary, very straightforward and obvious.

A documentary filmmaker will present you with an objective view of a situation. You are then left to think about it. Is it right? Is it wrong? If I were in this situation, how would I react? So, for instance, Eyes Wide Shut hits you right in the face with a situation of temptation and infedelity for you to ponder. An objective look at a very relevant and interesting topic. Full Metal Jacket presents a simple topic: War. Although the main character seems to be on the fence on the subject (a journalist...go figure), there are many charaters throughout the movie that are very much in favor of war. All the while, we are entertained by all of them in order to maintain an objective view of the subject matter. Even going back to Dr. Strangelove presents a topic: imperialism and a master race. There's no doubt that's an interesting topic. He will give you a situation, a cast of great characters, and a relevant topic that will make you think. And that was my Kubrick ramble.

Kubrick is a god among dead filmmakers. Up there with Bergman, Tarkovsky, and Kurosawa IMO.

Recently, I've been feeling P. T. Anderson as his spiritual successor. I have great hopes for him.

made my favorite movie all time so he is surely one of the best

havent seen all off his films yet but for the ones i have seen

Spartacus

Clockwork Orange

- Dont really like sf-flicks
Full metal jacket

Dr strangelove

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Kubrick was an amazing director. I haven't seen many of his films, but the ones I have, I love most of them.

A Clockwork Orange
2001: A Space Odyssey
Full Metal Jacket
The Shining +
Paths Of Glory
Dr Strangelove

Spartacus
+
Eyes Wide Shut

Kubrick is a god among dead filmmakers. Up there with Bergman, Tarkovsky, and Kurosawa IMO.

Recently, I've been feeling P. T. Anderson as his spiritual successor. I have great hopes for him.
Funny you say that, my Topics In Film: Stanley Kubrick teacher is writing a book on PT Anderson.

Basically what I've learned in the class (that I didn't know previously) is that as far as cinematography goes, his films are nigh unbeatable. He's either incredibly meticulous or incredibly tongue in cheek with each arrangement and most people won't notice the difference or just disregard it as simplistic or superficial minimalism, his music choice is usually perfect, and I have a feeling however he handled his direction towards his actors had a big payoff especially in films like Barry Lyndon or Eyes Wide Shut. I've done a film response on 2001 and Barry Lyndon as well as a book-to-film analysis on Lolita if anyone's interested.

Anyone that has questions on 2001: A Space Odyssey on what it means or what Stanley what was trying to show us check this link out!
Or...you could use your brain and personalize it, because not even Kubrick knew what it meant, so there isn't a one meaning.

Clockwork Orange
The Shining

i think those are his three best. that basically seals his reputation as one of the great ones of all time. he was ahead of his time. but the others are just about average.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Shining is nowhere near one of his best. I mean, sure, if you think that overrated stuff like American Psycho, Requiem for a Dream and pick whatever Edward Norton flick you overrate (except, perhaps, Fight Club) are great, then The Shining is certainly twice as good as those, but compared to all the Kubrick, it's in my second half. Sorry.

I loved all of Full Metal Jacket the first time I saw it (and I still do). It blew me away.

The one thing I remember especially from my first viewing was how when I looked at the movie time after what felt like 10 minutes, 40 minutes had actually passed. I was very shocked. That's a sign of a good movie.
YES, YES, YES. I said the exact same thing when it was over - it went by so quickly to me and I said, "That's the sign of a great movie." It really is. I dunno what it was about Full Metal Jacket, but I was totally taken in.

1. Dr. Strangelove
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
3. Paths of Glory
4. Full Metal Jacket
5. A Clockwork Orange
6. Barry Lyndon
7. The Shining
8. Eyes Wide Shut
9. Spartacus

One of my favorite director of all-time !!

1-The Shining

2-Clockwork Orange

3-2001

4-Full Metal Jacket

5-Dr.Strangelove

6-Paths Of Glory

7-Barry Lyndon

I'm hot and cold with the parts of Kubrick's library that I have seen. I absolutely love THE SHINING and EYES WIDE SHUT; however, 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY bored the crap out of me. I have seen portions of A CLOCKWORK ORANGE but have never seen the entire film from beginning to end, so to offer an opinion would not be fair. Seeing this film in its entirety and seeing DR. STRANGELOVE are personal goals for me this year.

Finished here. It's been fun.
1.The Shining
3.Paths of Glory
4.Eyes Wide Shut
5,Barry Lyndon
6.A Clockwork Orange
7.Dr.Strangelove
8.Full Metal Jacket
9.The Killing
10.Spartacus