.......7th's top 101.......

→ in
Tools    

So where's the other 80?
Sorry, life has been a bit "busy" lately. I want to stand by watching my movies as I go down the list. I did watch one over the weekend so I hope to put it up soon. Thanks for asking.

Loving the list so far, man. What About Bob is a great addition to any definitive list, and is making me think of somehow including it in mine. I completely forgot all about it until I read your take. It's vintage Bill Murray. I need to watch it again though.

I can't wait for the next list of films. I agree with you with the majority of them. But, err, Ghost Of Mars? Definitely the weakest entry on the list thus far. Other than that, great job.

The Last American Virgin ~ 1982

directed by: Boaz Davidson

This film touched me in a way that is hard to explain, but my best friend had just been through a tough relationship that did not end well. I had just started a relationship and he and I were going through that stage of juggling a girlfriend and trying to stay in touch. Relationships for teens have got to be the toughest to understand. Why do people do the things they do when they are that age. I, of course, learned through life thus far that age has nothing to do with some things, but it sure seems to a lot more confusing when you are that young and full of hormones. We had not seen each other very much recently and Eddie wanted to take me out to a movie for my birthday. We both laughed during the film and he cried like a baby at the end because the material hit so close to home for him. I had never seen him so weak before and it jolted me, but it also made me realize that he was a good guy.

Overloaded with 80’s hits The Last American Virgin starts out like a Fast times meets Stand by Me crossover (although Stand by Me was not released yet, I watch both films they remind me of each other). Three horny teenage guys contend with each other and their own shyness and socially awkward sense of sexuality. The first part of the film really is nothing special other than some of the chemistry (or lack there of) between Gary (Lawrence Monoson , you may remember him in a Friday the 13th flick) and every girl he comes in contact with. Diane Franklin (Better off Dead) stole my breath away when I saw her on screen. She also pissed me off and the bittersweet taste in my mouth when I watch her on screen is wonderful.
The plot takes an unexpected twist, at least for me. I was going in expecting an Animal house/Porky’s type flick and was not disappointed for the first half. Although not on par with many other teen flicks for the first half, it turns into a not so typical teen angst drama. So much for the two of us going out to forget our sorrows, Eddie and I were drawn in like we were cast in the show when it stared to not get so funny anymore. I love this film despite of and mostly because of the ending. It is one of the most unforgettable endings to a film for me. I applaud director/writer Boaz Davidson for having the balls to end the film the way the story should have. It was a bit of a rollercoaster of a movie for me and every time I hear “Just Once” ~ James Ingram this film comes to mind.

I included the beginning clip and the ending clip here. If you have never seen the movie then do not watch the ending, if you have, here it is to remind you why this movie is great to me.

THAT BITCH!!!!!

Dead Calm ~ 1989
directed by ~ Phillip Noyce

It was the summer of 1991. I was home, recently back from Desert Storm, with my family in Bad Kissigen, Germany. Melody and the children had finally gone to sleep after we all had spent the day celebrating with parades, and food, and awards. There was no way I could go to sleep. I had a bunch of packages from home on the coffee table; one of them was full of VHS tapes. I was so thankful to be sitting on a couch in my own living room (even if it was in a foreign county) in front of a TV about to watch something in English that I just grabbed the first one without looking at it and popped it in. It was Dead Calm. I guess you could say I am a bit biased because I could have put anything into the VCR and it would be remembered. I was lucky that the film was pretty good. Every time I watch this, I recall the sigh I let out that night when it started. It was good to be home, it was good to be American.

Dead calm starts out with a tragedy, the loss of a child due to an auto accident. They, the grieved (Nicole Kidman and Sam Neil), head out on a sailing trip to try and forget and or maybe deal with their situation.

I am not the biggest Kidman fan in the world, but she does have her moments, I love her hair in this film.

During their outing they come across another boat that has had “issues”. Neil is stranded on the other boat when Hughie the only survivor with his wife takes off and leaves him behind. The lone survivor (Billy Zane) steals the show for me with his quirky personality and his emotional facial expressions. A few corny scenes and a somewhat predictable ending, although the details are a bit cool, did nothing to ruin this for me. I love the seduction, or maybe it is reverse seduction, scenes between Kidman and Zane. A great high seas adventure, Dead Calm is pure fun.

Here is one of the exciting scenes:

&feature=related

It's been forever since I've been in your thread. I've seen almost every film from it so far. Some are also favorites of mine.

I assumed I was pretty much alone in liking Shoot to Kill. This scene is hilarious.

I love Sidney.

I am the Nightrider!
THAT BITCH!!!!!
Hahaha! Yes, indeed.

I, too, give Boaz Davidson props for ending the film like that, because of its truthfulness. The '80s was my coming of age decade through ages 7-16 and especially during that time, I've seen of lot of similar situations like this. Personally, I never went through the exact same situation as this film, but I remember being through a bad break-up back then and I do know the feeling of seeing the woman you love (or care about) in the arms of another, and it does hurt.

I think The Last American Virgin pinpoints that feeling perfectly, it may be a high-school romp flick, but it's an honest one that many can relate to.

And the song that reminds me of this movie is "Keep on Loving You," by REO Speedwagon.

-UJ

The Color of Money ~ 1986

directed by ~ The master,

Martin Scorsese

I remember the first time I saw The Color of Money very well. I was one day shy of getting married and my brother and I were at a motel in Anaheim California killing time before my bachelor party. We were both bored and decided to see a film before everything got started. The party turned out to be a bust because of rain (yes in southern California). It flooded something awful, so we waded to the little bar across the street and tried to play some pool and look like hotshots. It did not work too well, but we did have a great time.

The Color of Money tends to not be that great by many regular Scorsese fans. They say it is not the acting or the story, but the script itself. I for one loved it for what it is and at the time I had never seen The Hustler so “Fast Eddie” (Paul Newman) was a new character to me. Tom Cruise plays the egotistical, (surprise) young and talented pool player and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio
(who has aged very well I must say)

is his girlfriend that seems to be along for the ride just for the money and the fun. Everyone uses everyone and the hustling schemes in the shady pool halls are classic. One of my favorite scenes has a cameo of Forest Whitaker in it and is great.

Color of Money moves fast at a slow pace and draws you in to the environment as most of Scorsese masterpieces do. Newman is great as always and it is funny that I am not a Cruise fan for the most part, but here he is again.

You mean fleshy?
And Natural before she got caught up in all that Hollywood stuff

Rumble Fish
directed by ~ Francis Ford Coppola

This movie got to me when I was a young punk kid. My older brother had recently left the nest and I was finally old enough to do the "cool" things with him
when he decided it was time for him to take off on his own. I wanted to go with him so bad that I almost ran away to try and find him. I outgrew that
quickly though and found plenty of other things to do, as most kids can at that age. If only I had as much free time now as I did back then.

Rumble Fish is a wonderful story and is presented in an amazingly eclectic light. I mean that in every sense of the word because
this film to me is as much a work of art , if not more, as it is a movie. The lighting and the music blow me away every time I see Rumble Fish.
The sound effects that play along makes me feel a part of the story.
Matt Dillion plays an amazing role as Rusty James and I had forgotten until recently that he was even in the movie. He is trying to fill his older
brother's shoes 'The Motorcycle Boy"( Mickey Rourke) and is finding it a tough thing to do. Things go from bad to worse as Rusty deals with trying to hold his gang together after his older brother creates a treaty that means "No more rumbles" Rusty breaks the treaty and things get hairy.
I have watched this more and more over the last few years and it gets better every time. The story certainly has underlying tones and the scenes with Rourke and Dillion are very humbling.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I saw Rumble Fish when I was in Oklahoma City for three months during the last three months of 1983, studying to be an air traffic controller. I watched it twice in the theatre. The scene where Mickey Rourke laid out the dick with his motorcycle was always my fave scene. That was a very memorable movie time for me. I saw The Right Stuff, Never Cry Wolf, Brainstorm, Silkwood, Terms of Endearment, Yentl, and Under Fire, amongst others, and many of those I saw multiple times. I may have seen The Right Stuff and Terms of Endearment at least three times each!

Enemy Mine
directed by ~ Wolfgang Petersen

Not sure when I first viewed this great flick, but I do remember that my mother loved it. I had just arrived back home after a visit across country and when I arrived I brought along my future wife. After much ado my fiance' and I had our own room and we were set to get married in a couple of months. I really did not mean to cause her(Mom) such grief back then, but like all great Mother's she accepted us and welcomed us both into her home. That however is another story . That first night though I remember us all sitting down to relax and it was nice to see my mother's stress fade as the movie played out on the TV.

This movie really is one of my favorites because it has to do with acceptence and it has a type of "family" feel to it. Soldier Willis Davidge (Dennis Quaid) crash lands on an alien planet during a battle with the Dracs a reptilian enemy race that the human race is at war with. Unfortunately a member of the Dracs (Louis Gosset Jr.) Jeriba Shigan has also crash landed on this hostile distant planet. Louis Gossett Jr plays Jeriba, and the need to survive as a team in a challenging enviornment forces the two to work together. I love the acting and the dialogue in this film, it has just a bit of a Disney feel to me, which is certainly not a bad thing.

I am the Nightrider!
Enemy Mine
directed by ~ Wolfgang Petersen

Not sure when I first viewed this great flick, but I do remember that my mother loved it. I had just arrived back home after a visit across country and when I arrived I brought along my future wife. After much ado my fiance' and I had our own room and we were set to get married in a couple of months. I really did not mean to cause her(Mom) such grief back then, but like all great Mother's she accepted us and welcomed us both into her home. That however is another story . That first night though I remember us all sitting down to relax and it was nice to see my mother's stress fade as the movie played out on the TV.

This movie really is one of my favorites because it has to do with acceptence and it has a type of "family" feel to it. Soldier Willis Davidge (Dennis Quaid) crash lands on an alien planet during a battle with the Dracs a reptilian enemy race that the human race is at war with. Unfortunately a member of the Dracs (Louis Gosset Jr.) Jeriba Shigan has also crash landed on this hostile distant planet. Louis Gossett Jr plays Jeriba, and the need to survive as a team in a challenging enviornment forces the two to work together. I love the acting and the dialogue in this film, it has just a bit of a Disney feel to me, which is certainly not a bad thing.
I remember going to see this film at the theater. It was at Christmas time 1985, I was 12. I always liked this film. As I grew older, and learned to appreciate film more, I still say this is a great turn in sci-fi. I really like this film. It's a very different sci-fi flick, just as "Hell in the Pacific" was a different World War II film. The performances are very good and the planet is an interesting character in itself.

Great stuff, even 24 years later.

-UJ

Glory
directed by ~ Edward Zwick

This film touched me in a way that no other American history film has before or since. It was another film I saw while stationed in Germany in the late ‘80s early ‘90s. I was too young at the time to appreciate the significance of this movie and also the importance of the collapse of the Berlin Wall. I know they are not directly related, these two events, but I was proud anyway: to be an American. I know there are many other wonderful films about the history of this great country I live in, but the extraordinary events evolving around me at that time were such a whirlwind of chaos. This film brought me back to earth, brought me back Home.

As I look at this film again I find it queer that I love a film with Matthew Broderick in it and it is not a comedy. Certainly there are a few smiles in the movie, but it just is not the same. I think he (Broderick) shines in this film as the colonel of the first black regiment in the civil war. Morgan Freeman and Denzel Washington do some of their best work in my judgment in this work of art. This picture relates the true chronicle of Colonel Robert Shaw, and his Regiment of Volunteer Infantry. It is laden with bigotry and hate and ignorance, but more so, it is about honor and dignity and it is about American history and those who have fought for the freedom we enjoy today. Great movie, amazing cinematography, and some of the best acting by the actors involved.