Zotis' Top 100 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

Foxcatcher

(2014) Drama

Directed by Bennett Miller
Written by E. Max Frye, and Dan Futterman
Starring Channing Tatum, Steve Carell, and Mark Ruffalo

I didn't recognize Steve Carell right away in this. His character was so different visually and personality-wise from anything else I've seen him in that I had to really stop and think about it. I was equally impressed with Miller's ability to get great acting out of Tatum, an actor who up until that point I thought was completely useless. Ruffalo has been killing it lately. I'm really growing to like him. This was by far Miller's best work. His films have been getting progressively better. This movie was borderline hyper realism. I remember in one scene Tatum threw a temper tantrum and repeatedly smacked himself in the face while looking in the mirror. I thought it was a perfect portrayal of a jock's state of mind, unable to express his emotions and internally frustrated with himself. I was also thoroughly captivated by the cinematography.

yep I agree Foxcatcher is pretty d*mn good

Army of Shadows

(1969) Drama, War

Written and directed by Jean-Pierre Melville
Based on the novel by Joseph Kessel
Starring Lino Ventura

It's movies like this that made me love French cinema and scoff at American cinema by comparison. This is one of the best spy movies of all time, and one of the best WWII movies of all time. I think it's the best WWII spy movie of all time. It's incredibly intelligent and very realistic. From the beginning I was captivated. If you pay attention, this movie has a lot to teach you. I love how humble Ventura's character is, and how from the moment he sets foot in the prison camp he sizes everyone up according to their usefulness in escaping. He immediately sets out to escape. This is my favorite Melville film.

Falling Angels

(2003) Drama

Directed by Scott Smith
Written by Esta Spalding
Based on the novel by Barbara Gowdy
Starring Katherine Isabelle, Callum Keith Rennie, Miranda Richardson, Kristin Adams, Monte Gagne, and Mark McKinney

After watching Ginger Snaps I went on a Katherine Isabelle spree. She's one of my many celebrity crushes. This movie though, is so much more than just a fling, or nostalgia. I LOVE this movie. This movie is incredible. Probably the first thing that really struck me about this movie was the painful relationship that Isabelle's character experiences with her father, played by Rennie. It reminded me so much of the things I went through with my own parents. Rennie says to Isabelle, that he gave her a roof over her head and food in her belly in response for her asking what she has to be grateful for. And she adds to that list, a splitting headache that lasted sixteen years. It's a great cultural piece, set in 1969, and a great interpersonal drama.