TONGO Reviews Everything

→ in
Tools    

Im at the episode The Coup when Dwight tries to get Michaels job, and Michael is finally channeling his inner-Jeff toying with him, hysterical stuff

Also, I think Martin Nash was the name of the uniformed officer in Reservoir Dogs. Coincidence?! Yeah probably.

Well I finally watched a movie, and it ended up being a 5 star deal which continues my streak of making my Review thread the worst EVER. Hey, if everything Ive seen so far is a legit 5 stars, theres no need for a review.

2 1/2 hour long movie, and watches as fast as any film. F Gary Gray was perfect in his duties as Director of this film, and the young actors brought in to portray these Rap legends were spot-on with their performances. Of course it focused mostly on the characters of Dre , Easy E, and Cube in that order. Paul Giamatti did his usual incredible work as their manager Jerry Heller. What tipped me off to how good or bad these young actors were doing was when Giamatti was on the screen with them, his craft didnt expose them.

If you liked Boyz in the Hood, or Menace 2 Society then see this movie. It gives you a quick dose of thug life in the beginning showing how Easy E started out as a dealer, probably MC Ren too but I dont know. I know there have been talks that Dre was a slinger (drug dealer) growing up, though they didnt touch on that. It portrayed Dre as a beginning genius DJ whose a young dad living at his Moms, Cube a middle class kid with both parents to raise him in the middle of the Compton chaos, and Jerry (Giamatti) as a broke down manager operating out the back of a laundry.

Ice Cube was played by O'Shea Jackson Jr, his real life son. He definitely has his dads mouth for that famous Cube sneer, and other mannerisms down like the back of his hand. Dr Dre was played by Corey Hawkins (The Walking Dead as Heath), and did a solid job. Easy E was portrayed by Jason Mitchell, received strong critical praise, and will be in the upcoming Kong: Skull Island.

The surviving member of N.W.A. closely supervised the biopic, Cube & Dre produced the film, and Ive a feeling is why the film is better than others of its like. I honestly cant remember seeing a better film on the rise of a legendary music group.

For instance -

After a first, weak audition, Jackson (Ice Cubes son) spent nearly two years working with an acting coach, before going through multiple tryouts and finally getting the role. Then, in the weeks before the film, he had to drop 20 pounds in order to more closely resemble his dad.

Ice Cube visited the set via Skype while filming another movie, his 2014 comedy Ride Along.
"We were sitting on the set shooting a scene," said Hawkins, "and Dre is there and everything, and I hear Cube's voice. I turn around — he's on a computer screen Skyping into the set. He's like, 'Turn me around.' He was making sure that every single detail was good. Anything that they felt they were trying to, for lack of a better word, 'movie-ize,' they would nip it down."

The rapping in the movie is a mix of the original recordings and the actors' reenactments. "We just went with whatever feels the best," says Gray. "There are moments where hearing the original members felt better than actors replicating it. And I think we did a pretty good job at just building an experience holistically as opposed to, 'Here are the rules of film when it comes to biopics, and this person should sing this and this person should do that.' We threw the rules out the door, you know? And it lends itself to the group."

Gray's first cut of the movie was an hour longer than the version in the theaters, and he expects to release a director's cut for home video at some point. That would make it 3 1/2 hours long!

You know what? Id see it.

Haven't watched that yet. Planning to at some point as i've heard good things.
I was in the same boat as you, and wasnt disappointed at all. Its a fun watch, and if you like gangster rap, even better.

I find myself more fans of their music than Tupac and Biggies stuff that came after. I liked Biggies biopic movie, but never cared for his music (never could understand what the hell he was saying), and for me Shakur never had the rhythm & rhyme together that well. Eminem & Snoop I do enjoy.

If someones not a fan of rap, I do feel theyd like this movie anyway. At the very least, its not boring.

^^ Out of nowhere, Dolph Lundgren of all people, just made an impact on me.

Dare I say it, the past few years have been bad so it makes sense, but Im gonna go see a therapist. I spoke on Facebook like I was living in an emotional fugue and didnt realize it really till my Mom died, now the emotions come in waves. Alot of what he spoke about of his mindset, freezing up, I related to strongly. Probably gonna sell the house and make a change, start my life over. Be better, thats what she'd have wanted. It doesnt matter how strong you are, or successful, if you simply arent at peace with yourself.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Is there a TONGO thread with favourite TV shows/series? You seem to have pretty decent taste in shows. I'd be interested in your top ten from the last couple of decades.

I just saw Amsterdam this weekend. It was very bad. Dont go see it.

That is all.

Seriously though I was surprised by how disappointing it was having just binged Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle, and Joy recently. Im thinking the director was off his meds or on medication he shouldnt be, the tone was too flat and cluttered for a David Russell vehicle.

I just saw Amsterdam this weekend. It was very bad. Dont go see it.

That is all.

Seriously though I was surprised by how disappointing it was having just binged Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle, and Joy recently. Im thinking the director was off his meds or on medication he shouldnt be, the tone was too flat and cluttered for a David Russell vehicle.
I enjoyed it quite a bit. Not my favorite of his but I thought his tone was there. Very funny and Bale was great. Way better than Joy for me. I like the others you mentioned better though.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Not my favorite of his but I thought his tone was there. Very funny and Bale was great. Way better than Joy for me. I like the others you mentioned better though.
Hm?! I guess my expectation were too high, though many havent liked it. Roger Ebert gave it 1 1/2 stars out of 5. Roger Ebert knows, Roger Ebert wise.

Margot Robbie was great though, and being a brunette didnt hurt her looks what-so-ever.