Chess

Tools    

Not sure if serious...

Nah, Warhammer is a table top wargame. Chess is like the posh version of that.

I like Chess, I can play pretty well, but wouldn't say I have some sort of interest where I'd follow the World Championships and stuff.

Hi Rules! Were you any good? Simply outstanding, awesome? Yeah, Im' very much into chess. My favorite player is Fischer.
Well, let's see, in fourth grade I won a chess championship...but only because someone blurted out the winning move. Otherwise I might have been runner up. I played some up until my mid 20s, but nah I was very average. Risk...now that was my game. Did you ever play that?

Not sure if serious...

Nah, Warhammer is a table top wargame. Chess is like the posh version of that.

I like Chess, I can play pretty well, but wouldn't say I have some sort of interest where I'd follow the World Championships and stuff.
Well, I'm never serious, don't you forget about me. Anyway, my favorite game is probably Botvinnik-Capablanca from 1938:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1031957

Well, let's see, in fourth grade I won a chess championship...but only because someone blurted out the winning move. Otherwise I might have been runner up. I played some up until my mid 20s, but nah I was very average. Risk...now that was my game. Did you ever play that?
Wow! I wish I could say that for myself. I'm unique. I've no talent for anything. No, I've never played Risk. don't even know what it is!

Risk is a board game (played on a board that represents the world) and it involves both strategy and luck by use of dice, to move your armies, attack and defend and hold continents and win the game by winning the world.

I've always been a big fan of chess and I also started playing it more often and learning more about the tactics behind the game last year, with a good friend of mine.

My technique is still far from perfect, but if anyone wants to play some games against me (after the 13th of January preferably), feel free to PM me!

P.S. Just to keep it a bit movie-related for the sake of it, I'd also like to mention two of my favorite people in film history who were huge fans of chess (and also had a pretty good technique):

Humphrey Bogart

and

Stanley Kubrick

I sometimes play chess, I exist in some place that can't win and can't lose, so it either goes on forever or I just let the other person win because I'm bored to tears

I've always been a big fan of chess and I also started playing it more often and learning more about the tactics behind the game last year, with a good friend of mine.

My technique is still far from perfect, but if anyone wants to play some games against me (after the 13th of January preferably), feel free to PM me!

P.S. Just to keep it a bit movie-related for the sake of it, I'd also like to mention two of my favorite people in film history who were huge fans of chess (and also had a pretty good technique):

Humphrey Bogart

and

Stanley Kubrick
I believe human kind is so far from reaching the perfect tactics, let alone strategy, it would be in such numbers that...A mathematician calculated there are apprx 10^127 legal positions in chess (because you can't have king next to king, a white pawn in the first row etc.) Just to illustrate what sort of number that is, there are around 10^82 (1 followed by 82 0s) atoms in the universe. Just imagine how many possible games are then. Of course there are infinately many because you can play back and forth,but even with massive restrictions,I don't know if it's finite. It maybe depends on the restrictions.

My fave player is actually Mihael Mesjerevič Botvinnik, the patriarh of russian chess, but Ilove Fischer. He was nutz though, i read a book on him and was LMAO with all the insanities he did. No one can make me laugh like him, especially cause he didn't even mean to be funny. I love Capa and Tal cause he played attackingly, risking like a madman with all those nut sacrifies. Not a single game I've seen of his that's normal. Who's your fave? btw, I love your new avatar, John's great.

I usually play on chess.com against the comp, or sparkchess against Boris, or Chesshotel against humans. Or against my dad or in a chess club here in Zagreb.

I didn't know about Boggie. I knew about Kubrick though.

I'll try to explain this. It's quite a deep game, with two of the best strategists ever.

The 1st move, "Queen's opening", is probably the most common one after "king's opening", where you push king's pawn by two places,which leads to more open games where you attack, but allow the opponent to attack as well. I myself always play king's.

Capa made a questionable move with his own queen pawn. It gave Botvinnik a chance to obtain a pair of bishops against a bishop and a knight. So, if we take away a bishop on each side, it's bishop vs. knight. And time has shown that bishop is probably a slightly stronger figure than the knight. It was thought they're both valued 3, but it's more like 3.1 and 2.9. Especially in the endings. He also ruined a chance to double white's pawns (a pawn ahead of another).That can be a problem because one blocks the other. Finally, white gained the center with his pawns. That's good because pawns are often very unpleasant because if you exchange them for higher valued pieces, you gain. With that c8-c6 move, Capa made it possible for him to play Qd8-a5, which would, as it's said in chess, link a figure, in this case the pawn on c3, to the king. This means the figure can't be moved or otherwise the king would fall. White made a smart move by releasing the tension between the pawns in the center. Because if he played Bd3 first, it would give Capa a chance to capture the c pawn by dxc4, and he woul've have to eat the pawn to avoid loss of material, and would give Capa the move.

This is a deep, torough and genial game between two former world champions and two of the greatest in history. I'll continue later.

I'd like here to say a thing or two about Bobby Fischer. Last year, my mom, knowing I'm a chess fan, borrowed from the local library a book on all the chess world champions. So I read about him, Botvinnik and Tal the most. I'll just say what I recall, because the book's now gone.

It all started later in his life with his infamous anti-semitism. He begun to admire Hitler, read Mein Kampf, and anti-semitic books of the sort. People were saying he had a hanging Hitler pic in his room. He once even went to Japan, to "get as far away from Jews as possible", which is particulary insane considering he himself was Jewish. Namely, he's definately Jewish on his mother's side, and this Fischer guy was German. It literally means fisher in German. Jewish people bear the name Fisher, like Carrie, Danielle etc. I think. But his real father was in fact Paul Nemenji, a Hungarian Jew.

He was strongly opposed to USA. He hated it. Hell, come 9/11, he said, and I quote the book, "This is excellent news."

Later still, he went even more insane. He begun drinking extracted snake poison to "make himself stronger".

wiki article