The Diet Thread

Tools    

Been keeping my workouts and healthy eating going pretty well lately. My past injuries are not a thing of the past, but I usually don't notice them during exercise but if so very slightly. I just try to keep my mind on what my body can do with the history of injuries in the groin area.

I'm not trying to lose weight per say, because I'm not fat, but I do try to get a bit of that belly/side fat away and build muscle mass... I'm happy that it was fairly easy to get back into shape and go at it pretty much like I used to. I read somewhere that if you used to workout/train/exercise a lot and for many years, your body will adapt way easier. It makes sense and definitely seems to be the case.

I might update further down the line and/or post pictures (but I don't want y'all to get too thirsty )

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Yeah, I'd love to be an inch or two taller, but we're both a little above average male height in the U.S., I think, so hard to complain.

Re: weight/work. Yeah, I hear ya'. If it helps at all, it's not really that much work in the long run, just a bit up front. In other words, changing bad habits can be hard, but it's not that hard once you've changed them.

It really is worth a fair bit of effort, though. Just day-to-day living feels a lot better, even without accounting for any specific motivation. We like to think of our physical state as only tenuously connected to things like mood and attitude, but they're linked pretty closely, I think.
I'm coming from the other side. I wouldn't mind gaining 20 lbs. of muscle .

i havent gained all that much weight in kilos,but my shape is definitly different
im trying to quit drinking so much soda,i think just that alone will help me alot
since its basically all i drink (except for beer) and i drink alot of it.

Ive definitely started to feel the "addiction" to sugar though,i went two days without any not too long ago
and i genuinely felt sick,like when you have a fever and you no energy in your body whatsoever,i had the worst headache and my head and body felt sooo heavy,i felt dizzy and tired,and lets not even talk about my awful mood.

i just cant seem to find any kind of everyday drinks that i like.

Water is a good choice. It has to be cold though.

If you stick to breaking away, it will click after a while.

Yeah,i like cold water after long walks or exercise,
but it just wont "do" normally- that most likely my sugar addiction talking

Im going to try starting tomorrow,to stick to soda only on weekends
(have a feeling that right for the christmas chaos is not the best time to start this )

I'm coming from the other side. I wouldn't mind gaining 20 lbs. of muscle .
Ah, my bad. Don't run into that too often!

Ive definitely started to feel the "addiction" to sugar though,i went two days without any not too long ago
and i genuinely felt sick,like when you have a fever and you no energy in your body whatsoever,i had the worst headache and my head and body felt sooo heavy,i felt dizzy and tired,and lets not even talk about my awful mood.
Could it be caffeine withdrawal?

Water is a good choice. It has to be cold though.

If you stick to breaking away, it will click after a while.
Yeah, you just have to power through the beginning. Switching to diet isn't bad, either; you really get used to it after a bit.

Yeah,i like cold water after long walks or exercise,
but it just wont "do" normally- that most likely my sugar addiction talking

(have a feeling that right for the christmas chaos is not the best time to start this )
I wish you good luck. I have a serious soda addiction. I'm about a month off of it and hopefully it will stick this time. I used to try weekends only, only at dinner, one with a movie and TV. I always ended up extending that. I hope it works for you.

wow,one month-thats well done Sean!
yeah,i feel you..ive only ever lasted a few days..like the 2 days i was talking about
I drink alot.like alot. i easily go through a sixpack a day,and now they`ve started selling eight packs which makes me drink even more.
Maybe quitting it all at once is the best but i have zero confidence ill be able to do it so im trying to trick myself saying i can have some in weekends but hopefully dont or minimal. i have a friend whose the opposite of me,she never drinks soda so when she does-she kinda gets the same "symptons" i do when i dont drink,she gets a headache and bloated etc so im hoping that will happen to me to if i stay off a few days

ive thought about that,i dont drink coffee and im not sure if caffeine is in other sodas expect for the dark ones? (cola/coke,and cola rip offs)
cos i normally drink all sorts and ive never noticed any difference.

wow,one month-thats well done Sean!
yeah,i feel you..ive only ever lasted a few days..like the 2 days i was talking about
I drink alot.like alot. i easily go through a sixpack a day,and now they`ve started selling eight packs which makes me drink even more.
Maybe quitting it all at once is the best but i have zero confidence ill be able to do it so im trying to trick myself saying i can have some in weekends but hopefully dont or minimal. i have a friend whose the opposite of me,she never drinks soda so when she does-she kinda gets the same "symptons" i do when i dont drink,she gets a headache and bloated etc so im hoping that will happen to me to if i stay off a few days

ive thought about that,i dont drink coffee and im not sure if caffeine is in other sodas expect for the dark ones? (cola/coke,and cola rip offs)
cos i normally drink all sorts and ive never noticed any difference.

I had to deal with headaches on and off for a couple weeks. It's worth it. A month isn't a long time but I can already see a lot of my feeling run down and sluggish was soda and not my eating habits, although they need to change too. I drank as much as you. All day most days.

That is a good idea. I avoid sugar, dairy and meat during the week. Come Saturday, the gloves are off.

you have a great willpower then! thats really great!
I became a vegetarian two years ago and never thought id be able to do it,so im trying to focuse on that i managed to achieve that so i can do this too.
never thought quitting soda would be more difficult than to quit meat+fish

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I get headache's for a day or 2 when I give up coffee. When you get through the withdrawal phase you feel much better, sleep better.

Can anyone cite how much caffeine (soda, coffee, tea, etc.) a day they drank and then got withdrawal headaches. I have never had headaches, but I think I am very insensitive to caffeine.

Can anyone cite how much caffeine (soda, coffee, tea, etc.) a day they drank and then got withdrawal headaches. I have never had headaches, but I think I am very insensitive to caffeine.
I used to drink coffee in the morning and Diet Coke throughout the day. I wouldnt drink it at night, and when I gave up caffeine did get serious headaches. It lasts a day or two.

it doesnt just have to be headaches though,but feeling feverish and no energy.

Ive managed 5 days no soda,had one glass now cos its the weekend. feeling good.

Just a quick update: got back under 180 again recently, and binged a little over the holidays (I'd planned to). I'm back on the wagon post-holiday though and should be back around 181-182 in a couple of days.

February 6th is the two year anniversary of starting all this, so like last year, I'll probably be really strict in the month leading up to it, and my younger brother and I are gonna be lifting weights together with a bit more formality, since for the last year plus I've just been doing it kinda free form, to get in the habit.

Currently low is 179, and I'm determined to get at least a few pounds below that before the big day. I think 175-176 is within reach. One complication is that the Super Bowl is literally the day before the anniversary. That'll be tough.

I think this really is near the last phase. Get into the mid-170s, and then just maintain that, slowly shifting from fat to muscle through exercise. After the two-year mark in February, the plan is to move to weekly cheat days, hopefully in perpetuity. There's still some uncertainty about what I can do long-term, since it sometimes seems like I need to be losing simply in order not to gain, but I've done a lot of experimentation and given myself a lot of time to get used to new habits, so I'm cautiously optimistic I can find a way to tread water, too.

Unfortunately I haven't seen >200 in a great many years and 180 maybe since middle school!
My wife has been doing the Whole 30 thing and has had good success with it. Going to try that since it's not really a diet but focuses on eating non processed food.

My reward will be a maroon velvet blazer. . Always wanted one.

Well, today marks two years since I started this diet, first mentioned here. Just had one of these to celebrate. Here's the whole timeline:

It was important to me, for each year anniversary, to hit a new low that morning, and it happened both times. I'm at the lowest weight I've been since I started, and I'm pretty sure I haven't weighed less in ten years.

Don't think I'll have much reason to post in here going forward. The adjustment I've made these last few weeks leading up this milestone have been so effective that I'm considering shooting for 170, but I'm lifting more and softball's starting up, so that might be tough. Either way, though, it'll be more about maintenance going forward, I expect.

Thanks to everyone who offered encouragement. And if anyone in here is still hemming and hawing about doing this: do it. It's worth it. Yeah, sometimes it sucks, but your body adjusts to it, and the benefits spread to all parts of your life.

Wow! You basically lost a 10-year old. Very nice.