POLL: Should We Launch Soon?

Tools    

Hi,

As some of you may know, plans for this site include the addition of movie news and movie reviews in addition to these forums...if I wanted to, I could launch these new areas fairly soon...say, within a week or two.

However, that would mean that people visiting MovieForums.com would not be redirected straight to the forums as they are now - thus cutting into the posts here a bit, at least for new members. Is it worth it?

I definetly need your input on this one.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
When I saw the preview of what the site would look like, it was awesome. I think you should make the change as soon as you can. But if you think it'll make you lose newbies then don't. But think of it this way, if you don't because of the new posters, then you never will because there will always be new people...

Female assassin extraordinaire.
if not, what would all of your hard work have been for? post messagse for the newbies to warn them, give them time, then kablooey, give us the goods.

Didn't see it.
I think you might get more people here from search engines and directories if you have content.

If you are ever going to get reviewed by the magazines like Yahoo! or PC Magazine, you'll want content.

Yeah, you guys are right. All it's come down to now is finding time to be able to update the site sufficiently once it's launched...when I know I have time for that, I'll do it.

Well, I've been giving this some more thought. If MovieForums can average the high number of posts and traffic it's gotten over the last few days, it could easily be making $50 a month.

The only problem is we've been rejected by Burst! Media and FastClick - the two main CPM providers available...CPM providers pay based on number of banner impressions - I could get paid by the banner click, but I'd rather not.

They likely rejected me because all the site is is a forum - I don't have total control over the content as well. However, if I launch some reviews and movie news, the forums become only PART of the site, and I'm more likely to be accepted.

$50 a month to work with would be great. I could save some, and use some to promote the site - so far it's all been word of mouth, me telling some people I know, and a few generous links from other site owners who visit here from time to time.

What do you all think? We'd get a few less new posters if this happened, since the main page wouldn't lead straight to the forums anymore.

Would you all still keep your current posting habits? I think we can really make this work if the forums remain the way they are right now.

I'm thinking you should start to launch the site in two weeks or so. And from what you told me from their it will take a week or so longer to get it perfect. So in that time I think their will be alot more posters/members, and you might be able to make more money. Thats just what I think though.

Well, some work is beginning on more improvements on the site that are To-Be-Released later on.

All I can say right now is that thanks to a certain someone (saying who might give something away), we're looking at possibly adding some features you will not find [red]ANYWHERE[/red] on the Internet (nowhere I've ever seen, at least)!

Anyway, as usual, ya'll will be the first ones to know.

You big tease!

Still working through some office/school work - but the work I did for the site beforehand is still in place...so when we decide to launch, it won't take *too* long.

And yes, I'm still working out the details of the big, cool, new, amazing feature I mentioned earlier in this thread...it'll really be something if we can get this thing on the web.

Anyway, now's the time to let me know if you want a specific feature on the new site - right now we plan to have news, reviews, allow you to post comments on news and reviews, and the "other" secret thing - any other suggestions? Box office totals, perhaps?

I also had the idea of a page where you could browse through a big list of new movies in production, and see how many days are left until they're released - anyone like that idea?

I'm all for a secret. And all for the coutdown page to new movie releases. I would like either a link to a trailer for a movie, or the trailer actually on the site. For upcoming releases of course. If you need help with that, I might search down the best sites for the previews and post the links here. Its up to you.

Sounds like a good idea, but it would definitely be links to previews elsewhere...couldn't store them all here! It might even half to be links to pages concerning that movie...IE: the page on the other site that contains the link to the trailer.