New Stuff - Yes, No, Maybe?

Tools    

Hi,

Just wanted to get some opinions on some new things here:

1 - The ability to post and vote in polls

2 - You may have noticed a little add-on to the end of all the email notifications reminding you of replies to a certain thread...there's now a link there so you can no longer receive notifications for that particular thread. Like it?

3 - There is a hack available for this board which will let you send "Private Messages" to each other...kind of like email, only you access and use it right here on the forums, and you only send it to other members of the board. It would let you send, reply, delete, and store them in folders, etc. - any interest in this? Is it worth it?

Please let me know everyone! This is your board - tell me what you do and do not want!

I think that is a cool option to "not recieve more e-mails saying there are replies" cause sometiems when a post gets lots of replies it gets annoying to recieve a buncha e-mails saying "more posts... more posts"
Hmmm, that's pretty cool thing of sending mini private messages. I would like that, cause people might actually check this site more often then they do their e-mail (very annoying when people check their e-mail once a week!)

The polls thing is very cool, hopefully it won't get abused though with people doing wacki polls.

-Brian

I like all of the ideas. Especially #2.

Didn't see it.
The private messaging hack intrigues me. I've thought of adding it to my boards, but I don't know if anybody would use it. There are many times when I wish I could have a private discussion with a member I see online, but they don't publish their AIM or ICQ details.

I'm a little nervous about doing too many hacks. What happens when vBulletin comes out with a new version? Do you lose all of your hacks? Are you prevented from upgrading?

Not totally. At times, you will lose your hacks and have to re-install them. The good thing about the next big release is it should include polls and the PM hack as fully supported!

I, too, will wait until this board is highly active and the members cry out for it before installing the PM hack.

Didn't see it.
Thanks for the info. I think I'll wait for the release. Any idea when the next release is due?

Hacks seem to work pretty well for them. Users develop them, and then they can implement the popular ones.

Did you do the hack that was suppposed to optimize thread display? I hope they implement that one also.

No, havn't installed that one. I very well may, though.

The next version? I'm not sure...could be out in a couple of months. I think the start of 2001 is the goal. And yes, I'm pretty sure they'll be optimizing the amount of queries and such for the next release.

Oh also, I wrote a hack recently and released it...not great, still needs work...but it is functional and easy to install!

Female assassin extraordinaire.
is there no way to set up the system so that people can see when the other is online?? we do have to login, you know. i play a game called utopia (games.swirve.com) and when you log in you are visible by anybody else. also, comfusion.org has private forums that allow you to post your ICQ/e-mail if you want and to choose global visibility so people can see if you're online via icq. i'd rather not do it through icq though cause you don't want to be harassed all the time. you want people who know you in relation to the forum to only see you online in relation to the forum, if you get my drift. then if someone strikes up a friendship or whatever they can go ahead and exchange AIM/ICQ info...

thmilin

first test ...

mwhahah

Go to the bottom of http://www.SitePointForums.com - is that what you're talking about? A list of active users logged into the boards?

If that's what you mean, then I can definetly add it - just say the word! Oh, and congrats on your new smiley - looks great.

One more thing: I play at Swirve Games too - I love "Earth 2025"...I'm usually pretty decent.

if they mean by "active user" that you are online at the moment and not just one who has posted x amount of times in x amount of days, yeah! perhaps it could be put somewhere more promiment though. or even, a feature that would allow you to PICK who you want to see online, ie, once you log in if you've set it to alert you when Chris is also online, it will tell you at the top in the greeting (Welcome, thmilin! User TWTCommish is also online.)

i started out with utopia ... played some earth at the same time ... but the main thing was always utopia. both involve numbers but earth leaned toward too much statistical brain work for me. but you're a website developer and such, see, you like that kinda thing . At my school, everyone tech is called "techie" and everyone liberal arts is called "fuzzie." guess which one I am?

and, is it me or does that forum look a lot like the one we're using now ... hmm ...

_________
hooowah! you smell like a burning tomata.

Yes, it means actually logged into the board right then...not just a recent poster. Should I go ahead and install it?

As for a "buddy list" of sorts...go here:
http://www.webmasters-network.com/forums/

Bottom of the page...the "Launch Your Buddy List" link...that what you mean? That's the only thing available for such a task really...besides, you'd be able to see me on the list of logged in users easily anyway.

I was hesitant to install the logged in users hack since it might reflect badly on the board with so few people posting here right now! It has picked up a bit however...I might install it today if you would all like me to.

Didn't see it.
Can I make a few unrelated recommendations? You might consider adding a feedback forum and a general discussion forum. I think you need a place for people to just say hello and welcome new members, and you need a place to make announcements or allow people to offer feedback.

I've been wanting to tell you that I really like the look and feel of your forums. I think your colors are great, especially the white text on gray background. I think that is a cool look.

That might be a good idea...I'll probably add a feedback/suggestion forum soon...I'm gonna hold off on a "General Chit Chat" forum for now since forum traffic is still slow by most forum standards. Thanks for the recommendations though, they're both very good.

And thank you for your kind words...some people don't dig the dark colors, but I think for a movie site it makes sense. I will try to make it a bit easier on the eyes in the future though...probably toy around with the shades of grey a bit.

Didn't see it.
I'm wondering if a general chit chat forum might help forum traffic. Sometimes I don't have anything new to say about movies, but I still want to say hello to the people here.

You might call it "Intermission" if you decide to add one.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I think that general chit chat idea is a pretty good one.

i agree a chit chat thread would be nice. "Intermission" works...