Any musicians out there?

Tools    

Former "musician" here. During my teenage years, all I wanted to do was be in a band. I was a metal vocalist (screaming "RAH! RAH! RAH! and sounding like the cookie monster possessed by a demon) I also played synth, have a microKorg XL in my closest that I've taken out like three times in the span of five years. I was in quite a few bands, some of them I actually played live shows with, some of them I recorded some rough tracks, I also tried to be a solo artist and hip-hop producer. I used the Logic Pro program to do a lot of tracks myself. It was about 2012 though that I pretty much gave up on my musical journey. The fact that I've never really thought about going back and trying it again has told me that it just wasn't meant to be.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I have a guitar and piano. What I really aspire to is being a steel drum and xylophone master.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
I play many instruments... Drums, Guitar, Piano, Bass, etc etc... even make my own instruments (plastic eggs with rice in them makes for a cheap and suitable maraca)..

I sing, but I don't sing on any of my albums.. I write instrumentals.
That's fantastic. I'm with you on the instrumentals part. Sadly I'm a rotten egg when it comes to drums.

I have a guitar and piano. What I really aspire to is being a steel drum and xylophone master.
That's neat. I saw a concerto recently on a church, one of the acts was 5 xylophones playing. Great stuff

Former "musician" here. During my teenage years, all I wanted to do was be in a band. I was a metal vocalist (screaming "RAH! RAH! RAH! and sounding like the cookie monster possessed by a demon) I also played synth, have a microKorg XL in my closest that I've taken out like three times in the span of five years. I was in quite a few bands, some of them I actually played live shows with, some of them I recorded some rough tracks, I also tried to be a solo artist and hip-hop producer. I used the Logic Pro program to do a lot of tracks myself. It was about 2012 though that I pretty much gave up on my musical journey. The fact that I've never really thought about going back and trying it again has told me that it just wasn't meant to be.
I was in 3 bands [metal, rock and fusion] for a short period of time. The most fun I ever had was playing with another friend of mine.He would start playing something, I would be playing something completely different, and all of the sudden we would be playing the same thing, like a dialog but without words. I would know when he would do something, he would know when I was about to do something and we interlocked quite well.

Been taking a relatively longish break from music due to getting really burnt out, but I still jam with my buddies and we're starting to get back into production. I play guitar, but mainly focused on producing.

Here is what my little "studio" looked like a while ago (we're moving and my room is completely different right now, no studio).

Equipment in the pic based on what I can tell:
Korg MS-20
Mixer
Ableton Push
Crappy little midi controller (since replaced it with an Akai MPK249, which is absolutely f*cking awesome)
Large keyboard
Mic
Guitars
Bitches Brew poster and Swans poster (inspiration equipment! )

Not in the pic, I have a cool little multitrack recorder, which was fun to mess with and useful for getting ideas out.
Akai has some great stuff for sure. M-Audio has come up with a new Keyboard as well for better integration with VSTs.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
That's fantastic. I'm with you on the instrumentals part. Sadly I'm a rotten egg when it comes to drums.
Everyone was a rotten egg for the first few years. As long as you have the love, practice is usually sufficient. I'd advise against lessons, too - develop your own style

Everyone was a rotten egg for the first few years. As long as you have the love, practice is usually sufficient. I'd advise against lessons, too - develop your own style
My guitar learning was pretty much solo. Or with the guys on the street back then. There would always be someone playing guitar outside. So, asking them "what's that chord" was pretty much a constant.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
My guitar learning was pretty much solo. Or with the guys on the street back then. There would always be someone playing guitar outside. So, asking them "what's that chord" was pretty much a constant.
That's good.. Try to figure out the chord by the sound. If you play a song, try to figure it out. If you can't, pick up your guitar, and your brain will condition itself to identify, better ears.... There's always room for improvement. We need more musicians now than ever!

Akai has some great stuff for sure. M-Audio has come up with a new Keyboard as well for better integration with VSTs.
Interesting, do you know what the M-Audio keyboard is called? Definitely curious to know more about what you mean.

Interesting, do you know what the M-Audio keyboard is called? Definitely curious to know more about what you mean.
Sure thing. it's the CTRL49

You also have the CODE series.

That's good.. Try to figure out the chord by the sound. If you play a song, try to figure it out. If you can't, pick up your guitar, and your brain will condition itself to identify, better ears.... There's always room for improvement. We need more musicians now than ever!
So True

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I play Swan's rump and guitar.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Well, here are a couple of shot of my scriptorium/studio.

Simple stuff. A Fender Mustang III v.2 that I picked because of the preamp choices and the fact that it has a usb for recording [I only care for a clean channel anyways.] Don't use the onboard fx except a very light reverb and a compressor.

My guitar is a Fender Aerodyne Strat.

My pedals aren't constant. I buy and sell to experiment with them and keep the ones I find interesting.

The chain goes like this:

Front of the amp

- Harley Benton/Joyo Dynamic Compressot [for 30 euros it does a great job. Silent and just works]
- Marshall BB2 [I use it to boost the MXR and the Fuzz mostly. Although I don't enjoy this kind of overdrive, it boosts other pedals pretty damn well]
- MXR Super Badass Distortion ]It's a very good dirt box, but doesn't go anywhere near the "modern metal" gain they announce]
- Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz [this is soon to leave the board. I don't enjoy dirt boxes without EQ control]
- Fender passive Volume pedal [no juice needed, has a tuner in/out and simply works]

Amp FX loop:

- Dod Phasor [I got this one for pocket change and is THICK as hell. I keep changing its placement between its current and after the zoom for those J. J. Jarre pads; but I'll be selling it]
- Ibanez FL 99 dual Analogue Flanger [this one is a keeper. Also got it for pennies]
- Zoom MS 70 CDR [also a keeper. Is filled with Reverbs, Delays and Chorus and has some helpful effects such as Guitar EQ. The Reverbs and delays alone are great. You can have 6 fxs chained as long as it doesn't run out of DSP]
- TC Electronics Ditto x2 [a good simple looper. I'm selling it. I need a looper with more channels]

Outside the board at the moment:

- Harley Benton/Joyo American Sound [30 euros for a Fender-ish preamp that takes dirt pedals like a beast? It's a keeper]
- MXR Carbon Copy [I like analogue delays, but can't stand that one for some reason. Already on hold for selling]

Things I'm gonna grab soon:

Mooer Rumble [a Zen Drive/Dumble like od]
Mooer E-Lady [copy of the EHX Deluxe Electric Lady]
Mooer Tender Octave Pro and Ocean Machine as soon as I can get them used
Dod Rubberneck
Digitech FreQout [for some theramine-like action]
Pigtronix FAT od
DOD Carcossa Fuzz

I welcome any suggestions on fxs [don't have to be expensive, I don't care for brands]
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170206_163834.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	28727   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170206_163900.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	28728