IMDB to shut down...

Tools    

Master of My Domain
I'm not surprised, a lot of forums I've known have almost all shut down over the last five years. It's the end of a trend, which is a bit sad, but I'm curious about how IMDB will create new ways of communication between members.

Hmmm, will Movie Forums be the last one forum standing?

Sorry. I shouldn't have said anything, I guess. Maybe this forum will be better for more members? Maybe not...
Hey Zissou, pop over to the Birthday and Introductions forum here at MoFo
http://www.movieforums.com/community...oductions.html

And introduce yourself, you'll see we're one big happy family (usually)

Master of My Domain
Hey Zissou, pop over to the Birthday and Introductions forum here at MoFo
http://www.movieforums.com/community...oductions.html

And introduce yourself, you'll see we're one big happy family (usually)
Lol don't link any of the Survivor threads to 'im.

Ditto....I never go to the main boards there, because it's a bunch of flames. I don't even read them.

However, I do read some of the post on the individual movie pages. I gain a lot of insight there. Though I swear every classic movie has a dumb-ass post that says: Is this movie racist? Including a hilarious post about why Apollo 13 (1995) was racist....all the astronauts were white!
This post is racist!
Apollo 13? You and your racist movies, Rules!
I bet you put this anti-BLM, ginger-made, white-bread propaganda in your top 10 favorites!

Looks at Captain Steel's Top 10 movies, see's Apollo 13 there, chuckles to myself

Capt, I just checked over at IMDB for that thread and it's gone. Too bad it was hilariously stupid. The guy had no idea that Apollo 13 was based on a real story and was sooooo mad that all of the astronauts were white.

Though, they're still some really stupid discussion threads for Apollo 13 like these thread titles:

I can't watch any movie made before 2000
...sad, really really sad.

Apparently, a sequel is in the works!
...a sequel? How in the hell does that work

Imagine if Christopher Columbus
... you can just guess what this one is about.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
That sounds like the kind of person Dad would dub a "****ing dumbass."

LOL! I thought you were also going to say that my top 10 looks like an alt-right rally!
Good thing I have Crimson Tide in their with Denzel, otherwise there's nary a person of color in sight!

(But hey, let's not sell "Joe P. Cox" short - he was the black member of Clarence Bodicker's gang in Robocop...)

"Mind if I... zip dis up?"

Apparently, a sequel is in the works!...a sequel? how in the hell does that work

I guess the sequel would be Apollo 14. Sure, another mission to the moon, this one successful, not quite as exciting as what happened to 13 (but then sequels aren't usually as exiting as their predecessors.)

Hmm, yep, it sounds like IMDB is really depending on social media for its lifeblood now. Funnily enough, I've been a member at IMDB for 11 years but year-after-year spent less and less time on the boards. It's a great place to cross-reference movies and stars or to just basically get their credits. The boards were, to my understanding, not moderated at all, hence all the out-of-control "discussions." One thread would start and a troll would drop in and easily spin it out of control into talk about something else entirely. I couldn't understand why there wasn't even one moderator, or am I misunderstanding that? It definitely seemed that way, because when name-calling erupted, or racist rants, obvious child on daddy's computer typing insults, etc. etc. stopped a film discussion dead-cold, and the childishness would go on, it sure looked like no moderator existed. And if they did, there was no place you could find their names.

In the almost-five years I've been here, I've rarely been elsewhere, except Letterboxd, where quite a few of us at MoFo post also. I'll still go to IMDB to see the day's movie news or check out some movie trailers but I won't miss the boards at all. Still, it's a pretty big news story.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Are the IMDB message boards that are being closed down the questions at the bottom of the IMBD pages, or do they have some other message boards that I don't know about?

That sounds like the kind of person Dad would dub a "****ing dumbass."
Every time you refer to your dad or mum as just dad or mum rather than my dad or mum i always imagine them as these supreme mother and fathers of movieforums.com. And that's okay.

Our surname is Freeling guys.

I never really used their boards tbh.
I did join the site ages ago, but I can't even remember what name, password or even the email address I used. I gave up after a couple hours as it was full of trolls and spammers. A lot of perverts on there as well if I'm honest.

Correct. No way is IMDB closing its doors before movieforums, no offence movieforums.com.
Well I was a member of comingsoon boards when they did this and a certain part of the frequent group went on and made a seperate Boards site. I think if got a few IMDB members they could maybe make there own boards thing where they can post and talk and control spammers if have Mods.

Meh - forums as an entity are hugely overrated anyway. Never used one in my life.

Well I was a member of comingsoon boards when they did this and a certain part of the frequent group went on and made a seperate Boards site. I think if got a few IMDB members they could maybe make there own boards thing where they can post and talk and control spammers if have Mods.

I think they're after something un-moderated like IMDb was so they can troll and insult each other.

They've come on here, got welcomed... and then basically accused MoFo of being run by Nazis because we have moderators... and then left.
And that, from what I could tell, were the nice ones.

No wonder IMDb failed. This proves exactly what I said in my last post about IMDb's Boards.