Celebrities In Politics

Tools    

There has been a strong underlying opinion of celebrities in politics, and that is they shouldnt be.

So lets say you Mr/Mrs MoFo were to become famous in the film/tv industry, would you shut up about what you believe then? Theyre just people folks, and get angry or excited just like all of us. Should we act like obedient dogs whenever they speak? No, but maybe theres a fear that many do, and it annoys our sense of justice. Nonetheless they have a voice as celebrities arent our dogs.

I wanted to make this thread as there are many celebrities tweets, news stories worth posting, and I dont want to derail discussions in other threads.

J.K. Rowling accuses Mike Pence of hypocrisy with a tweet quoting the Bible

On Friday, President Donald Trump signed an executive order barring immigrants from seven majority-Muslim countries from entering the US for 90 days. The order also suspended all refugee admissions for 120 days.

The backlash has been monumental. Protesters took to streets across the US, and heads of state and titans of industry vocally rebuked Trump's actions.

While Trump took the bulk of criticism over the ban, J.K. Rowling took aim at his second-in-command, Vice President Mike Pence, drawing attention to the former Indiana governor's words in December 2015:

She followed up with a quote from the Gospel of Matthew:

Rowling faced some backlash of her own for the tweet; she responded to in a similarly sharp manner:

/photo/1" target="_blank">https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/statu...934849/photo/1

http://www.businessinsider.com/jk-ro...l-tweet-2017-1

We need more Ashley Judd talking about her period!

(Geez, remember how cute she was back on Star Trek TNG?)
Whoa! I didnt know she was in that. Was that before she turned 18? I ask cause shes hugging Wesley Crusher. I think Wesley Crusher and Jar Jar Banks should be in a movie, and together theyre being hunted by a Predator. Id see it.

HEY! No derailing this thread mister. Celebrities in politics only.

We shouldn't care what celebrities think about anything.
That makes no sense. So we shouldn't care what Martin Scorsese thinks about his movies?

Anyhow, I don't care about what celebrities have to say about politics and I mean it in the nicest way. They certainly have the right to speak their mind. I do prefer it when they don't make fools of themselves with silly, theatrical, crazy antics.

That makes no sense. So we shouldn't care what Martin Scorsese thinks about his movies?
I'd be much more interested in what he thinks of other movies, he'd never be anything other than modest about his own. Obviously i was exaggerating; i meant we shouldn't care what celebrities think politically, at least not more than out of curiosity.

Whoa! I didnt know she was in that. Was that before she turned 18? I ask cause shes hugging Wesley Crusher. I think Wesley Crusher and Jar Jar Banks should be in a movie, and together theyre being hunted by a Predator. Id see it.

HEY! No derailing this thread mister. Celebrities in politics only.
She was 23 when she guest starred on two episodes of STTNG (as Ensign Robin Lefler) - I think she and Wesley had a romantic thing going!

Not derailing - Ashley Judd just made a speech at the women's rally (i.e. another anti-Trump protest) that pretty much went viral, where she got all graphic about her menstrual cycle (this might have been the same protest where Madonna said she's thought about bombing the White House). It was nothing if not political.

If people want to keep celebrities out of politics, they shouldn't have elected one as president.
This.

I have no problem with it. Celebrities are people too. If they can use their notoriety to create a legitimate conversation I don't see any harm being done. Although yeah, I don't think any of their attempts at dipping their hands in actual politics, and positions should be taken seriously unless they've always been directly involved with them for a long period of time. Lindsey Lohan wants to be president now, of all people. Sheesh.

Yeah, celebrities are people too and they have just as much right to mouth off about their views as anyone else. That said, it's not necessarily wise to do so, since there's the risk of backlash that could affect their careers.

My take:

First... yeah, everyone has a right to express themselves & voice their opinion.

Second... being an entertainer is the kind of job where success depends on appealing to a mass & diverse audience. It's just not a good idea to talk politics if you don't want to drive fans and potential fans away. These folks gained the enhanced forum & audience that most of us will never experience through their talents as entertainers, not as political spokespeople.

Same goes for if I was a hotel, restaurant or resort manager, an insurance salesman, etc. - I wouldn't discuss politics with customers or in an open forum where my views were broadcast out to potential customers (no less engage in shrieking out expletive-laced rants and threats of violence!).

It's fine for entertainers who are retiring or deciding to enter politics themselves, but if they're still in the business of being a celebrity, voicing politics publicly is just bad business.

And, as Dick Jones always said, "Good business is where you find it."

All I've to say is, Alec Baldwin for President!

You know he's at least smarter than our current president.
He's not just smarter than the President, but he plays him on TV!

(Man - two people I don't really like, but who seem to have very similar personalities - Alec Baldwin and Donald Trump. No wonder Baldwin impersonates Trump so well.)

We shouldn't care what celebrities think about anything.

Anyway, TONGO, help me out with The Wire and Sopranos discussions elsewhere.
Then thats the same as saying we shouldnt care about what other people think. Seriously, just because someones a celeb shouldnt mean we shouldnt listen to them more, but we shouldnt dismiss them just because of that either.

If anybody is giving you grief on Sopranos or The Wire then link me and Ill help you crush all opposing forces.

If people want to keep celebrities out of politics, they shouldn't have elected one as president.
B A M !

Thats the best comeback Ive heard all year.