newby questions for yoda

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Thought I may as well start a thread rather than clog up shoutbox or your inbox. No rush. I know you're busy.

1. If I do a search for a particular topic and want to contribute in a civil manner, but then notice it's closed, is it a no no to restart the same topic. My friend who is a forum owner doesn't like it incase the same conflict arises so I understand if you say not permitted. I'll just have to create a way to start it that doesn't seem to invite conflict.

2. I don't notice the ads (I don't notice them on tv either) very much but saw one this morning that's Australian. Just out of curiosity, are members 'targeted' (I don't mean that in a negative way) according to where their isp is located? I'm just curious.

I had a third question but I forget.

1. If I do a search for a particular topic and want to contribute in a civil manner, but then notice it's closed, is it a no no to restart the same topic. My friend who is a forum owner doesn't like it incase the same conflict arises so I understand if you say not permitted. I'll just have to create a way to start it that doesn't seem to invite conflict.
I hate to say "it depends" but...it depends. A topic being closed definitely doesn't mean it's verboten: it's just standing policy, as of the last couple of years, to close any controversial thread if it hasn't received any replies in a few months (otherwise people keep coming back and resurrecting them, usually without reading what's come before, and thus repeating the same things people have already argued about).

2. I don't notice the ads (I don't notice them on tv either) very much but saw one this morning that's Australian. Just out of curiosity, are members 'targeted' (I don't mean that in a negative way) according to where their isp is located? I'm just curious.
Not by me, but I'm sure the two ad networks we use (Sovrn and AdSense, if anyone cares) do at least some general area-based algorithm stuff. Probably just based on the data that's automatically available to any site you visit, though.

I had a third question but I forget.
The answer was probably no.

The answer was probably no.
LOL. I'm sure it was pretty harmless. Just morning musings.

I think it was

3. Is allowing advertising on forums lucrative or just piddly beer money? I have no problem with owners getting a payback from that.

As for not targeted by you - no I didn't think that; but you answered my query.

Also re closed topics, it was the Islam one. Just like in US we have confict and fear here about Islam as well. I just wanted to share some nice experiences and correct some misconceptions. dont want to stir up stuff, though. I might just have a general travel experience thread and talk about people rather than bringing religion in to the equation.

I can answer the 2nd question... it's not always, but sometimes.

In the past I've been looking at some movie memorabilia sites, one of them I remember clearly was a site that sells Lightsabres and on MoFo about 10 minutes later I was getting ads for other Lightsabre websites.
They must use some sort of cookie reader.

3. Is allowing advertising on forums lucrative or just piddly beer money? I have no problem with owners getting a payback from that.
It's never been that lucrative. Forums get fewer clicks than content on other types of pages, and I think that's particularly true of movie-related ads (the topic matters a great deal). That said, as you can see, I haven't exactly been trying to wring money out of this place with just that lone, modest ad going. Mostly just trying to build users and traffic.

Also re closed topics, it was the Islam one. Just like in US we have confict and fear here about Islam as well. I just wanted to share some nice experiences and correct some misconceptions. dont want to stir up stuff, though. I might just have a general travel experience thread and talk about people rather than bringing religion in to the equation.
Your call. I think that's one of those topics that will lead to a lot of strong disagreement, though not necessarily fights, per se. It probably won't get heated enough that we have to close it or anything, simply because most threads don't, but the odds are fairly high against it being perfectly benign, either. But it really is up to you.

They must use some sort of cookie reader.
yeah that's what I was thinking. I dont get the ads on my phone, though. Not sure why. Oh that reminds me of another question...

Aha!
I'm getting Hungry House adverts at the moment...

I used Hungry House earlier today to order a pizza.

It's never been that lucrative. Forums get fewer clicks than content on other types of pages, and I think that's particularly true of movie-related ads (the topic matters a great deal). That said, as you can see, I haven't exactly been trying to wring money out of this place with just that lone, modest ad going. Mostly just trying to build users and traffic.
So you only get a hand out if we click on them? OK I'm happy to do that. You can share a pizza with me if ever i get over your way.

Your call. I think that's one of those topics that will lead to a lot of strong disagreement, though not necessarily fights, per se. It probably won't get heated enough that we have to close it or anything, simply because most threads don't, but the odds are fairly high against it being perfectly benign, either. But it really is up to you.
yeah not interested in religious debates, just the multicultural aspect so I think I can do it that way.

Damn it, I forgot my next question again.

I don't know how I did that to my own post.

yeah that's what I was thinking. I dont get the ads on my phone, though. Not sure why. Oh that reminds me of another question...
I just don't put any on there. That might change, but again, not too concerned with making much off the site right now. And mobile ads have to be done properly, because things are slow enough on mobile as it is (which is why the mobile site is so stripped down and straightforward).

Originally Posted by Dani8
So you only get a hand out if we click on them? OK I'm happy to do that. You can share a pizza with me if ever i get over your way.
Correct. And thanks in advance for any clicking you guys choose to do.

4. you prompted me.

I've already been through half my monthly allowance on my phone and I havent been using it much for the net. Is that from the testing I was doing the other day possibly? Do I chew up more if I don't disable avatars gifs etc? I;m not bothered. Once again, just curious. As you know I don't use it much anyway.

OK have to slave away for Mr Dani's brunch. back soooon with a fun travel thread.

Anyone else, feel free to stick newby questions in here if you want to need to love to.

LOL. I clicked on one of your ads on here that was aussie, Yods. Had never heard of that company before. Now getting it on facebook. I won't click on it on fb. happy to give you a hit but Zuckerberg has enough money.

4. you prompted me.

I've already been through half my monthly allowance on my phone and I havent been using it much for the net. Is that from the testing I was doing the other day possibly? Do I chew up more if I don't disable avatars gifs etc? I;m not bothered. Once again, just curious. As you know I don't use it much anyway.
Hard to say without specifics, but as far as sites go ours is pretty low in file size. But some of the threads have huge images, so it really depends.

Thanks for all of that yesterday. You and Rattus are in the clear today me thinks. One giant mug of tea already and I don't feel the question faery knocking at the door of my skull.

Go to your User CP... left side you'll see a list of options, one called Edit Ignore List.
In there you can type the name of a MoFo and block them. You need to be precise with the name, capitals and so on, and the site should bring up a pop-up box while you're typing with the right name in it.

Go to your User CP... left side you'll see a list of options, one called Edit Ignore List.
In there you can type the name of a MoFo and block them. You need to be precise with the name, capitals and so on, and the site should bring up a pop-up box while you're typing with the right name in it.

THANK YOU!

Edit: WHOAH you got a good forum condom here.

I recently beefed the Ignore User stuff up a bit, but I have enough custom things here that it's very plausible I missed something, so please let me know if you notice anything getting through. Be a nice bit of testing after the recent changes.