Oscar Podcast: Any Questions?

Tools    

Also, are there any awards that currently don't exist that should exist?
We answered this in the podcast, but I thought of it just now when I saw the #OscarsWeNeed hashtag. Most of the ones on there are jokes, however, as you'd expect.

We answered this in the podcast, but I thought of it just now when I saw the #OscarsWeNeed hashtag. Most of the ones on there are jokes, however, as you'd expect.
I heard it, thanks for taking a bit of time to think about it. I like the idea to separate traditional cinematography from CGI (Avatar being a good example of something that deserves an award, but it doesn't feel like the correct award for it).

The thought that spawned the question for me was whether we'll ever get a "voice acting" award, should animated films become even more popular. I'd hope so, if only to nurture recognition for really good voice acting separate from other celebrity. Kubo, for example, could have used better voice actors, imo (not that they did terribly), but because we haven't separated out skillful personal actors away from voice actors it's difficult for a studio to justify using a voice actor that might be a little better for the part when they could use a traditional actor that will grab more recognition.

I'd imagine at first such a category would be overrun with great "voices" (e.g. Morgan Freeman) rather than great performers (e.g. Mark Hamil, I think it's not that controversial to say he's a far better voice actor than live actor?). But in time it'd be an award that not only gives a bit of recognition to a skill that's underappreciated, but I think improve the quality of performances over time.

That's a good one. I think we might get a motion capture award before that one, though. And if we do, I wonder if it'll be for an individual, or a combination of the motion captured person and the technical team.

That's a good one. I think we might get a motion capture award before that one, though. And if we do, I wonder if it'll be for an individual, or a combination of the motion captured person and the technical team.
That'd be a good one too, as it'd also get a class of actual motion capture performers (other than Andy Serkis) separate from traditional performers.

Also not sure how they'd separate person from team, I'd guess maybe it'd start as "best motion capture effects" or something for an entire movie, and if it gets specialized enough they'd move to individuals as well.